Skyfire Mobile Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

28user

Still Fresh
There is a new mobile browser called skyfire http://www.skyfire.com/. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to access sites which require flash without actually having flash installed. Does any think this is possible to use with the Pandora? I would be interested in using it to access hulu.com & other sites that are generally not available for mobile browsing.

Somehow it doesn't look all too opensource to me, with the trademark name and stuff.
Guessing by how shiny and fancy and jerky there website looks, it may not even be freeware.
You have to register BEFORE downloading? Sounds fishy.

Currently, Skyfire is only supported in the US on Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms.
I don't have that portability flowchart here, but I already know it wouldn't fare well...

Until an opensourced ARM supporting linux clone appears, probably either the Pandora will already support flash or another browser starts utilising this feature (if it's not one of those guys' patents).

So I don't think it's a question of possibility here. Why would it have to be that piece of software anyway? I'm sure the flash issue gets resolved anytime soon, hearing so many people complain about it. But most likely not in this way.

I had the Skyfire beta on my N95. No, it's not opensource as far as I know, and two, it's choppy as hell. Yeah, you cna go to youtube, but it's not a smooth viewing. The browser client on your device has a connection to their servers and they try to pipe the page and video back to you. Even over 3G it was fairly choppy. Granted it's beta software, but still. Viewing animated maps on weather.com was pretty nice, though.

However, reading the EULA and how they pretty much say they can and will do whatever they want with your information (you have to signup and register, you log on to the servers via the client every time you use it) I chose to pass. Thank goodness gmail has excellent spam filtering.

So does anyone think that the Pandora will be able to view sites such as hulu.com?

I had read somewhere that the Pandora would have to use gnash for flash & that it locks up on the hulu.com website.

The way I believe it works is that the Skyfire servers load the page, including Flash, render the page to an image, then send the image to you. Well, that's a very simplistic way of looking at it, but generally that's the way it works.

28user said:
I had read somewhere that the Pandora would have to use gnash for flash & that it locks up on the hulu.com website.
Both gnash and swfdec should be able to be ported. I've heard swfdec has better compatibility for videos, so maybe it solves that issue.

Sly said:
The way I believe it works is that the Skyfire servers load the page, including Flash, render the page to an image, then send the image to you. Well, that's a very simplistic way of looking at it, but generally that's the way it works.
It can't really work that way (I guess it could, but would render any dynamic content useless). If it did, Flash would not work at all. Neither would anything that runs client-side.

Sly said:
It can't really work that way (I guess it could, but would render any dynamic content useless). If it did, Flash would not work at all. Neither would anything that runs client-side.
You sure? From Wikipedia:
Skyfire is a web browser which operates solely by server-side rendering of web pages and meta-content (see web proxy). Skyfire servers transcode (and pre-render) websites as interactive images, tagging items such as links and text-fields as interactive.

Again, none of this really matters since Skyfire is a closed-source commercial project. Unless the Skyfire people decide to port it to Pandora themselves, it will never be an option. This is unlikely to happen, since the Pandora userbase is negligible compared to the WiMo/Symbian userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back