Simple Question To Opt

The N900 is a dead end. As an N800 user I have seen it overtaking TMO, splitting and destroying the community and now it shares the fate with the other Nokia products. I wouldn't touch that overpriced thing with a ten-foot pole.

Prometheus said:
Well, their movement feels "firmer", and there's little-to-no variation between the left one and the right one. :p
Ow Yes! he says dreamily ... Sorry! What were you talking about? The numbs, yes the nubs, they sound just perfect. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
It's reassuring to hear that they're only using the up-to-standards ones from the current bunch, ED - for a fleeting moment I was slightly worried about future failure in my recently-built unit (although the nubs on my new unit feel completely different to the nubs on the old ones, so I wasn't *too* worried :p ).

I hope the new ones turn out well - I'm guessing that you must hate having to wait for things like this. (Although, hey, at least you didn't produce 4000 units all with faulty nubs, right? :) That's one good thing!)

Hate waiting... heh, yeah, you could say that.
It's really crazy - we could've gotten cheap chinese PSP-ripoff nubs, but we wanted some high quality.
Therefore, we went to a company with 19 worldwide locations, specialized on doing navigational controls for mobile phones, based in US, not in China.
They say on their page "We have Quality Control Programs to supply high quality products to a variety of marketplace including electronic components, food packaging and construction materials continuously.".

And then you get a batch of nubs from that where about 20% fail from the very beginning and another 5% fail after a while of usage...

Well, at least they have the responsibility to admit their faults and are fixing stuff at their costs... hopefully even the costs to exchange the nubs on broken units.

Next week we'll get the first modified and fixed prototypes - which will be VERY well tested.
And then failing nubs will hopefully be history - and we (finally) can speed up.

I hope you guys do understand we are going slow even with the currently tested nubs... we don't want thousands of broken boards.

Last edited:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I perfectly understand. I have great respect for that fact - I've encountered far too many products that were rushed to market with flaws that were never fixed!

("Measure twice, cut once.", as some seamstresses say. :p )

Prometheus said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I perfectly understand. I have great respect for that fact - I've encountered far too many products that were rushed to market with flaws that were never fixed!

Very true. So are many first-batch products with flaws nowadays...

Well, thankfully, all the delivered boards are rocksteady :)
Not a single one failed yet :D

The last issue - and it's nearly resolved, too. :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
I've heard that one before! :p God luck guys, let's hope it true this time. And please don't predict any more volcanos! ;)

Out of interest, did the company take the opportunity to remove the necessity of the "magic nub dance"?

Aninhumer said:
Out of interest, did the company take the opportunity to remove the necessity of the "magic nub dance"?

That's part of the tolerance problem, yes. It should work out of the box without any problems (as the prototype nubs we got last year did).

Last edited:
Xenu said:
EvilDragon said:
I've heard that one before! :p God luck guys, let's hope it true this time. And please don't predict any more volcanos! ;)

No predictions anymore, I promise :D

Well, the boards seems rocksteady, only the first LCD cables have gone wrong, Shoulder buttons work fine now... so I really can't THINK of anything that can go wrong anymore... except for... aaaw, okay, you said no more volcanos :)

Last edited:
I don't like n900 because of NON open sooftware.
Sharp PC-Z1 NetWalker looks good except:
1. Battery can't be removed
What will I do after one year when battery is dead?
2. Screen resolution is too large
With this resolution on 5" display i need very large fonts :)

EvilDragon said:
Prometheus said:

Very true. So are many first-batch products with flaws nowadays...

Well, thankfully, all the delivered boards are rocksteady :)
Not a single one failed yet :D

I googled that phrase and saw a company called "Shin-Etsu" does a product called "MiniPoint" that looks like the Pandora Nub.

http://shinpoly.com/products/keypads/varapoint01.shtml
varapoint_s03.jpg

Assuming it is them, then I am actually very optimistic as this looks like a serious company that prides itself on Quality, (ISO9001 worldwide is an excellent sign.)

So well looking at the recent delays I feel a lot of sympathy for OP. They have a great product, they have got the components sorted, the software is coming on leaps and bounds, and the one component that failed QAS was from a very professional supplier.

OK, so this means more delays, fingers crossed for Batch1 by latest Dec 2010, but even so the problem will be resolved, the team has got a new set of samples, all LOOKS GOOD, and production will ramp up.

It's frustrating of course, but being in the situation of:

- We had a problem, we have fixed it,we have tested the fix a 200 unit run & we now are waiting for supply to ramp up production

is far better than:

- We shipped 4000 units and 1000 need new Nubs in the first 30 days, 1000 more in the first 90 days.

AGAIN & AGAIN the delays are for OUR BENEFIT.

So thanks for sticking with it team OP, you have a kick arse product and the light is at the end of the tunnel.

:)

CapcomSuicide said:
It's frustrating of course, but being in the situation of:

- We had a problem, we have fixed it,we have tested the fix a 200 unit run & we now are waiting for supply to ramp up production

is far better than:

- We shipped 4000 units and 1000 need new Nubs in the first 30 days, 1000 more in the first 90 days.

AGAIN & AGAIN the delays are for OUR BENEFIT.
Luck. If they had made the active decision to slow down production then yes, I would agree it is a much better situation: they saw the potential for problem, waited it out, and the waiting paid off. If there had been no problems, they could have said "well, better safe than sorry."
They hesitated with the plastic cases and discovered the problem with paint. Not a major problem, but by hesitating they were able to fix it. Good on them.
They didn't hesitate with the boards until after the problem was discovered. Prior to that they kept saying they were trying to get as many as they could; if 4000 boards had been ready to ship, I'm reasonably sure OPT would have gladly taken them. It is only by luck that only a few hundred had made it out when the nubs started going bad.
I refuse to praise an unplanned (even if it is fortunate) delay. It'd be like complimenting a lottery winner on his wise investment choice.

EvilDragon said:
Xenu said:
EvilDragon said:

No predictions anymore, I promise :D

Well, the boards seems rocksteady, only the first LCD cables have gone wrong, Shoulder buttons work fine now... so I really can't THINK of anything that can go wrong anymore... except for... aaaw, okay, you said no more volcanos :)
You also should avoid the word "PROTOTYPE" in relations to the Pandora. ;) We are through this I hope. ^^"

svs-57 said:
I don't like n900 because of NON open sooftware.
Sharp PC-Z1 NetWalker looks good except:
1. Battery can't be removed
What will I do after one year when battery is dead?
2. Screen resolution is too large
With this resolution on 5" display i need very large fonts :)

Oh, wow, no removable battery is a pretty big negative. It's also apparenly only 1620mAh, much less than half the capacity of the Pandora's battery. Yeah, that was probably another killing point for me.

Font size is independent of resolution. A font is measured in units called "point", which is basically 1/72 of an inch. A 12pt font is the same size -- a sixth of an inch high -- whether you're on a 320x200 screen or a 1080p screen. If your fonts get smaller when you increase your screen's resolution, then you're using a bad operating system (or at least one that isn't setting the screen dpi automatically, and even that can be manually fixed in most OSes). Icons and other graphic elements used to be and still are slightly a problem, but the former are generally vector graphics now (or forced to scale by the WM/DE), and the latter .... depends and is getting better, I swear!

CapcomSuicide said:
Assuming it is them, then I am actually very optimistic as this looks like a serious company that prides itself on Quality, (ISO9001 worldwide is an excellent sign.)

Looks like you found 'em ;)

Last edited:
So no boards arrived this week? At least, I've still no mail (sob) and I'm fairly sure I should have been with these 200 that were arriving (as I am 400-500 in Craig's queue) *sadface*

EdCa22 said:
So no boards arrived this week? At least, I've still no mail (sob) and I'm fairly sure I should have been with these 200 that were arriving (as I am 450-550 in Craig's queue) *sadface*

Oh well, as i am double the upper end of your queue estimate - it will give me plenty of time to practice my hastily adopted Zen attitude towards these news snippets.

EdCa22 said:
So no boards arrived this week? At least, I've still no mail (sob) and I'm fairly sure I should have been with these 200 that were arriving (as I am 450-550 in Craig's queue) *sadface*

Don't forget they don't only have to arrive, they also have to be built and tested :)

Last edited:
Back