Simple Question To Opt

ndbsolar said:
About 900.
Thanks.
I can't understand why people (~300-400 in queue ) wrote here that they haven't received devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
svs-57 said:
ndbsolar said:
About 900.
Thanks.
I can't understand why people (~300-400 in queue ) wrote here that they haven't received devices.

ultimately no-one knows their precise position in the queue, there have only been estimates and guesses. clearly a few of these guesses were a couple of hundred out.

svs-57 said:
How many devices have been sent to customer (openpandorasales)?
If you meant 'sent to customers who ordered from Craig's shop (openpandorasales)' then the answer is 'less than 700, and less than 900 by the end of the week'

Today - 700 (175 to ED, ~50 to one-nubbers) place in queue is maybe 475.
Friday - 900 (225 to ED, ~50 to one-nubbers) place in queue might be 625.

This is assuming that Craig's expectation of shipping 200 this week comes true. No reason to suspect it won't, but it does require PCBs to arrive early enough in the week.

With this speed (475 devices / 3 month) I'll wait Pandora ~10 month (my queue ~2100 ) :(

It should speed up (no guarantees of course, but it should). They're just getting over a big hump after some slowdown with nub quality checks. They're set up to assemble and ship much faster than they have been, they just need those boards to keep rolling in from Texas, which hasn't been happening very fast. Things seem to be looking up though, 200 units this week is a good step towards getting up to pace again.

Gruso said:
It should speed up (no guarantees of course, but it should). They're just getting over a big hump after some slowdown with nub quality checks. They're set up to assemble and ship much faster than they have been, they just need those boards to keep rolling in from Texas, which hasn't been happening very fast. Things seem to be looking up though, 200 units this week is a good step towards getting up to pace again.

It will most probably see a huge speed up when the new nubs are produced.
The company is already at it, since they found all the problems (calibration issue and why some of them get stuck after a while).
Until the new produced nubs are finished, current ones are being tested, but that will probably keep the production speed that low for a while.
But rest assured that is gonna change :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
The company is already at it, since they found all the problems (calibration issue and why some of them get stuck after a while).
Until the new produced nubs are finished, current ones are being tested, but that will probably keep the production speed that low for a while.

So at the moment the nub company is testing the original batch trying to find working ones, whilst simultaneously producing an entirely new batch that will be used on first batch Pandora units, when they are available?

Since I never quite got it precisely. Are the nubs going to be remade from scratch, or are they going to test all the nubs already produced (not yet on pandoras) to see which ones "pass" their tests and re-make the ones that didn't pass the test? I kind of we don't just delay problems by using "tested but destined to fail" nubs. Hope I'm just being paranoid.

So the question: Are they being re-built from scratch, or tested and adjusted?

Thanks

ps: Heh, I guess I'm not the only one wanting to know more details. ;)

Dead1nside said:
EvilDragon said:

So at the moment the nub company is testing the original batch trying to find working ones, whilst simultaneously producing an entirely new batch that will be used on first batch Pandora units, when they are available?

Yes, exactly. The first samples of the newly produced ones should be ready early next week. You can be sure we'll test them extensively - and if they're fine, they'll produce them.
Until then, current ones are being tested, only the real good ones are being used (which will keep the production speed lower than it could be). When the new nubs are finished, they will be used and the old one will be scrapped.

Last edited:
It's reassuring to hear that they're only using the up-to-standards ones from the current bunch, ED - for a fleeting moment I was slightly worried about future failure in my recently-built unit (although the nubs on my new unit feel completely different to the nubs on the old ones, so I wasn't *too* worried :p).

I hope the new ones turn out well - I'm guessing that you must hate having to wait for things like this. (Although, hey, at least you didn't produce 4000 units all with faulty nubs, right? :) That's one good thing!)

Prometheus said:
although the nubs on my new unit feel completely different to the nubs on the old ones, so I wasn't *too* worried :p ).
Can you describe this difference, so us one-nubbers know what we're missing?

Well, their movement feels "firmer", and there's little-to-no variation between the left one and the right one. :p

I'm so tired waiting OP.
May be somebody can recommend me mobile device
1. Linux (open software)
2. 4-5 inch display (7inch is too much. But I'll consider)
3. With hardware keyboard
4. ARM Cortex-A8 CPU

hi
i'm not tired, i'm really impatient for mine to come ;)
but, as you asked, i just bought a nokia N900 yesterday and even if the screen seems smaller than 4 inch, it's a really beautiful device..
debian in my pocket, nice feeling :)

Mac

Yeah, N900's great. Although there's no gaming buttons(keyboard can be used, there's a gamegripper coming, and of course external controllers, but it's not really the same). And yeah the screen's a bit smaller(but still 800x480). Plus the 3G connectivity. If you don't need the gaming controls or care too much about the community software then that's a pretty good device, there's also the Touchbook and some other things...Personally, nothing beats the Pandora for me. :)

svs-57 said:
I'm so tired waiting OP.
May be somebody can recommend me mobile device
1. Linux (open software)
2. 4-5 inch display (7inch is too much. But I'll consider)
3. With hardware keyboard
4. ARM Cortex-A8 CPU

The Sharp Netwalker is the one device that came anywhere near convincing me to cancel my order. It has a 5", 1024x600 touchscreen and an 800MHz Cortex-A8 cpu, with a physical-buttons keyboard and Ubuntu preloaded. The only things keeping me from switching to it, besides the pull of the Pandora's more community feeling, was that it's a little too large for my pockets, the keyboard seems too flat (I like it when the keys are a bit spaced apart), and the price was quite a bit higher.

I also experienced the pretty weak Quality Control of two Zaurus SL-5xxx devices back in the early noughts, but that didn't really affect my decision.

Back