Beta Side Scroller Engine

MUMBL35

Still Fresh
I was working on a side scroller engine a few months ago but then I got side tracked by other things. I just recently ported it to the pandora.

If anyone is interested in helping, I'd like to finish the engine. I'm not working with the orginial artist (paramultart) anymore so I would definitely need an artist. I'd also like to work with a coder that has a lot of experience with creating games. I initially learned using XNA and have done this using c++ but could probably learn some more. Let me know if anyone is interested in taking this engine farther.

p is jump and down+p is to drop down. Esc quits.

The engine currently uses a quad tree for drawing and collision and that is pretty complete. It uses open gl for the graphics and the graphics engine is fairly complete with scaling and rotation. Levels and objects are currently read in from xml files.

Scarecrow_Tobais.pnd

Gruso said:
I can't help with dev stuff, but thought I've give it run for fun. Tearing issues aside, it's very smooth. Lots of potential for a fun game here!

Not sure what is causing the tearing. It doesn't show up on my PC. Haven't messed with it too much on the pandora yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
Is it actually spelled "Tobias", and is this the game in question?
http://www.paramultart.comyr.com/scarecrow.html

Yes, that's the original game made in gamemaker. And the Tobias is a mis-spelling on my part, its been months since I worked on it. I was working with Paramultart to convert it to c++/opengl and what you see is how far I got. We lost touch in the process. My intention is to use the engine to create another game, but would like someone with good experience help me finish and fill in the holes.

Looking and working nice.

The windows version had some MSVC dependencies I did not have installed on my computer, but it seems to work fine on teh Pandora so no problems there.

I got to admit I still have to integrate the quad tree variation you made for Wandor, never got the time to do that, shame on me :S

Sadly I don't have the time to work on yet another project, but I wish you all the best, it already is a good start, just needs some content :)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Looking and working nice.

The windows version had some MSVC dependencies I did not have installed on my computer, but it seems to work fine on teh Pandora so no problems there.

I got to admit I still have to integrate the quad tree variation you made for Wandor, never got the time to do that, shame on me :S

Sadly I don't have the time to work on yet another project, but I wish you all the best, it already is a good start, just needs some content :)

foxblock out

I should probably build the windows using code::blocks or some other application to get rid of the MSVC dependencies. Not sure why they are coming in or if there is a project setting to get rid of.

The QuadTree that I added to Wandor last year is pretty much the same thing here. Was working on both around the same time. Its kind of hard to add it after the fact. I know it didn't integrate with everything. I'm still getting your wandor emails and its looking good. My wife had our baby about a month ago and I'm starting to get some free time now that my job is slowing down as well.

Back