SID of the day :)

today was a mark-cooksey-sid-day for me. paperboy, 1942, ghosts'n goblins... woohoo! <3

I've been mostly listening to AY3-8910 music myself. There's some stonking stuff out there, which is a surprise given how poor most Atari ST software using that chip sounds. I guess running two or three channel arpeggiators and other PWM bits and pieces at the same time was largely beyond the 68k chip, and you need something with a bit more oomph to handle all of that and not drop a semi-demi-quaver.

Reactions: rSl
cool 8sid tune!
the next ultimate64 firmware will feature 8 fpga-generated sid-chips. :cool:

The Tuneful Eight

Evoke 2019: 2nd place in the "Alternative Platform Compo" - "The Tuneful Eight"

The hardware used is an Ultimate64 Elite with two additional FPGASIDs. The Ultimate64 is running with a special firmware, that is capable of handling 2x4 UltiSIDs. In the demo 2x2 UltiSIDs together with 2x2 FPGASIDs were used.

Coding: Steffen Goerzig
Music: Lman - Markus Klein
GFX: Joe - James Svärd
Tools: MarkusC64
Ultimate 64: Gideon Zweijtzer
FPGASID: Andreas Beermann
Hardware: marty - Martin Plum

the next ultimate64 firmware will feature 8 fpga-generated sid-chips
Wow. And the demo says "12" voices, but we all know that the SID has a 4th voice and maybe you can drive digital clicks too for dual Stereo samples? sweet!

edit: watching the rest of Evoke 2019!

Last edited:
well done! :cool:

An album of Rob Hubbard C64 SID ChipTune music, reconstructed in full stereo, using tools and techniques developed by myself (Jason Page - No Other Medicine).
This is likely my last project related to the great Rob Hubbard. I've been lucky enough to actually work along side Rob on the Project Hubbard KickStarter. This is my gift back to him.
Rather than join the hoards of remixes, I thought what was needed to get inside Rob's work and give it what it never really had: a sense of space
The technique of creating "True Stereo" versions of SID chip music aims to simply further highlight the pure brilliance of the original tracks.
As such, I highly recommend that you listen using headphones or stereo speakers. Sit back and hear the originals as you've never heard them before.
Find more information about Project Hubbard at c64audio.com/ph
Thanks, as ever, to Chris Abbott. And of course, to Rob.
Track order:
1. Commando
2. International Karate
3. Crazy Comets
4. Nemesis The Warlock
5. Thrust
6. Knucklebusters
7. Monty On The Run
8. Pygmies Revenge
9. Sanxion
10. Phantom Of The Asteroid
11. Master Of Magic

therapsid
Wow you can get a lot of sound out of that box. Loved it when they connected the sequencer.
Too bad the only way to store your settings is taking a picture or write down each setting. FAAAAT synth for the win! (somewhere in the middle of the video).
How are you using it? With a keyboard in one hand and the other hand on the knobs? Or do you record a sound, then use a sampler to get it out?
I'm playing with a normal synth that has USB midi, and Linux works with it, but I want to drive Schismtracker with it (have not been able to).

@pmprog My pick is popcorn. Would have set the volume of the noise/hihat a bit lower, but it sounded better than the other. Of couse, I spend an afternoon listening... it's now dark outside, sigh. (Loved: Pouvoir II (tune 2) )

If anyone is feeling creative... https://csdb.dk/event/?id=3043
The rules are simple. Make an interpretation of https://csdb.dk/release/?id=200743, but add some melodies on top of what is there. No restrictions whatsoever except you need to add a lead melody.

Sole judge is yours truly, if there are fewer than 10 entries I will forfeit the compo.

Prize table:

1st place) 1000 euro
2nd place) 500 euro
3rd place) 100 euro

Not a "sid" persé, but the music is funky.
This demo is from the "sprites only" contest. Jan 2021

Here is the howto (code included):

Oh my! Happy tree friends?

LA la lalala
lalaaa lalala
la la lalala
lala lala lallallaaaaaa

awesome!

part of this compo: https://csdb.dk/event/?id=3035

Can't play sid files? Do you have Linux? Try sidplayfp or VLC.

Last edited:
Back