[UI Switcher Issue - RESOLVED] MiniMenu dead? :(

djcpe

Still Fresh
Hello. If anyone could help or point me to a thread (I have searched and searched..), I recently reflashed my 1GHz Pandora (SuperZaxxon 1.53) and cannot get MiniMenu to load using the "Switch GUI" menu item.

I try twice to load and get "failed to receive a reply from the session manager. Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown". This error comes up also when trying to exit and I am forced to use Terminal command "sudo shutdown -r now" to restart the Pandora.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncheck the save session box in the log out menu. Power off and on and it should work. 

Thanks, but I cannot even get to the log out menu where that box is...

That box is already unchecked I see when I reboot. Hmmm... Just reflashed once again. Maybe the menu.conf is bad? Tried copying the one found here in the forums that someone requested but cannot erase the one on the Pandora.

I will keep searching and tinkering. Thanks again though.

Tried one of Evil Dragon's suggestions from the past in a thread I found:

"Run sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_switchgui.sh from terminal, then you can see any output what goes wrong".

Did this and received the following error: "Failed to receive a reply from the session manager, the name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files".

This "Session Manager" dude should be fired. :)

Ok One of skeezix's suggestions worked and get MiniMenu working for me: "...ugmented that with some more stuff as his preferrred environment. If you want, you can run minimenu from xfce easily enough.. not as a pnd. Just open up terminal and run 'mmwrapper -fmmenu' and mmenu will pop right up.".

As apps are ran and closed out, lots of goofy messages start to appear in the terminal.

Still the GUI Switcher program in XFCE does not load MiniMenu.

Hmmm. I had the same message and issue. I just powered off and on, went to the log out menu and unchecked that box and voila, it was fixed. Maybe I got lucky. I'm not sure how to fix your mini menu though.

That's cool. I wish it were easy like that for my situation. I miss my MiniMenu! Ugh. :( . Hope someone comes thru here. I can't be the only one who's having the same problem booting into MiniMenu.

I have problems with mini Menu too,its impossible to appear all my PNDs,when i rescan for Apps appear they not too.

Thats why i am not realy use Mini Menu,but when you start your PNDs over Terminal and PND_RUN script under Mini Menu have many Processor intensive Software run a little faster than XFCE4.

Have newest Firmware,reflashed from Time to Time,so can that not be the fault.

ingoreis .. can you write out your issues carefully? I couldn't quite follow what you wrote there. Some pnds do not show up in mmenu? (there are some filtering rules, so really old badly done pnd's may not show up, or get dumped into All instead of where they want to go, etc..)

If mmenu is blowing up somehow, ejecting your SD may help.. if theres somethign really bad or corrupt on the SD thats blowing it up, say.

But if your problem is you can't run the ui-switcher to get to mmenu, its not an mmenu problem.. its the ui-switcher; I've not heard of any issues there! if you run 'mmenu' (without the mmwrapper even) and it runs, then mmenu itself is okay. (mmenu is the UI, mmwrapper actually runs the pnds, and re-runs mmenu .. keeps memory usage very low and no cpu consumption when in a pnd). So what could be the issue with xfce or the ui-switcher .. very odd!

Now, if you like, we can walk through how to do the ui-switch manually; ie: the ui-switcher just lists off options, and when you pick one, it sets your default for environment to use next time (or switch to it now, depending which options you're doing.) So you could manually edit some file to get minimenu as your default environment.

But I'd be really surprised if a full reflash didn't work for switching.. with a full reflash, and SDs ejected, it shoudl be a plain vanilla OS; it should work! :)

jeff

skeezix, thanks a bunch for the insights. I will dive into it again tonight. You're points are well taken. Yes, I suppose something is wrong with the UI Switcher program/app? So weird that after the reflash that this happened. Everything else seems to be working.

Hi thx for your helping.

I tried it again and woooshh it worked?

I was realy surprised,my Mini Menu Problems seems to be gone?

Something little had i must did wrong before.

Mini Menu runned PPSSPP so fast that i with little Settings experimentating runned

Trailblazer with full Sound and after the loading Parts very smoothly.

How can that be that Apps / Emus runs faster than XFCE?

I recognized the Same in the Qemu Testing Phases.

And i have a Idea whats wrong with DJCPEs Gui Switcher:

When i start Switch Gui under XFCE appear Mini Menu in another Colour and i thought its marked.

But its not marked and when i press short up and down with the Dpad then is it marked.

Then with Enter start Mini Menu.

The other Colour in the Switch Gui Mini Menu confused me so that i often thought that its choosen,

but when i just press enter or ok start it not because i must choose Mini Menu first.

Thx again for your Help,i cannot say exactly why but my Problems are solved ;)

ingoreis, glad you got MiniMenu working again! There's hope after all! When I use the GUI Switcher, nothing happen Minimenu won't startup. However, the Pandora then goes into I guess a "loop". I get that dumb error about the Session Manager when I try to shutdown or run the GUI Switcher again.
Anyways...

I posted this in a similar thread where another user is having issues...

"Ugh,  no luck re-flashing from an 8GB card...

I changed my setting to have the Pandora boot right into MiniMenu.  Works.  I can change the UI from MiniMenu to go into XFCE, but once in XFCE, there's no turning back.  Definitely the UI Switcher program as skeezix suspected.   

Ugh.  At least MiniMenu is accessible some."

I wish there was a way to fix the UI-Swither program.

Do you have a link to the flash files you downloaded?

So I can be sure I am using the same version as you are.

Here is the link I used: http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware

I clicked on the link, "Download firmware image of SuperZaxxon 1.53 (2013-01)" under Firmware Download (2nd paragraph)

Maybe I can upload the install log file to show what's going on? Seems there's some "negative" line statements when re-flashing?

Hey, I now have that gui switcher issue now that I installed Openbox. Maybe Openbox causes the session manager to crash. Also, if I boot up in Openbox, and then switch to XFCE, XFCE becomes very slow when scrolling through items or opening up menus.

EvilDragon, just checking in. Did ya ever try re-flashing with the link I provided to see if you encountered the UI Switcher issue?

Confirmed!  

Thank you EvilDragon!

SuperZaxxon v1.54 RC fixes this issue.

Back