Show your desk (Merged with Prior Thread)

I use a laptop on a laptop stand on my lap - not much to look at. I do use it to connect to a server in the spare room though, but that's not particularly nice to look at either.

Do I spot 3 Notebooks there? Nice, I still need at least one to own.

The blue/grey to the right is my windows development machine. The silver one is the macbook pro, which I use for OSX development, and the red one underneath the macbook is my linux Mint development machine. The mac is getting a hammering at the moment as we're porting our software over from windows.

Bonus points to whoever can tell me what our software is :)

I thought there was an old thread about this. Would anyone mind if we merge them? I thought there were some interersting pictures in the old thread.

I currently have 4 "computer desk" type areas. The one with the desktop computers next to it was picked out by someone else that wanted something small and tidy. It now has a bunch of paper files and stacks of CDs on, under, and next to it. The top is too small for me to worrk on comfortably, so I usually use a nearby table, or move things to another area. On top it has a phone that is not currently connected, a monitor, typical office stuff, and a handful of paper.

A much larger proper desk, primarily used by the person that picked out the tiny one, has a thin client, keyboard, dual monitors, mouse, a laptop, a phone, a Walking Dead desk calendar. and a bunch of toys and figures, and such. It is currently awaiting the arrival of an interesting aluminum chassis RGB backlit medhanical keyboard (cherry blue clones). Next to it is a mini fridge with a coffee maker on top. Behind it, along a wall, is a stand or cabinet thing with a modem/router thingy from the ISP, plus our router, and some other random things (cordless phone, and such). Next to that is a printer. That room also contains a bunch of posters and pictures and figures and such.

The room I am currently in (bedroom) has 2 desk type areas. The first is set up on some heavy duty shelving and has the main Apple IIe I play with, with a bunch of accessories. Below that is a shelf with disks, a bunch of Game Boys and carts and cases, a bunch of random electronic components and disassembled stuff. Above it is a TV with a bunch of toys and figures surrounding it. (this room also has other stuff like that all around, and an overflowing book case, and random piles of books scattered around.) The other 2 shelves have random electronics and HDDs and stuff.

The area I use, or visit perhaps, most frequently is one of those TV dinner tray stand thingies. It has a dock and laptop with my Unicomp Linux keyboard, trackball, and a ruggedized portable HDD connected to the dock. Other contents include an mp3 player, my wallet, a tiny flashlight, a handful of pens and pencils, a pocket notebook, various SD cards, some old coins, and some pliers. Writing implements, coins and cards usually reside at the area along the top edge of the keyboard. At present I also have a paper plate, a charging smartphone, and an ebook reader with my Pandora stacked on it sitting on the keyboard.

I would like to get a tanker desk, or make something, as a proper desk area for me, eventually.

I hope you all enjoyed my pictures. ;)

I don't feel like digging out a digital camera that could work with everything and messing with all that. Also, I didn't count the words, but they should be worth a fraction of a picture.

Sometimes I have impromptu computer setups like this... The e-book I was reading looked horrible on my 16:10 monitor, I didn't want to read it like that on my Laptop screen either.... So I jammed the monitor into a styrofoam block I had laying around and propped it on it's side on my workbench.

IMG_20160515_173622522.jpg

I wish more monitors came in portrait, or could easily be turned. Hmmm...3 or 4 portrait arranged monitors might also work well for games, not just reading books/magazines, web browsing, and terminal work. Maybe I should consider this more seriously...

I've got a 27'' monitor from BenQ that can be turned all the way. :)
If there'll be way better monitors in 10 years or so, I will probably put it inside a cabinet and use it for arcade gaming, it's especcially cool for vertical shooters.

OnTopic: No camera handy and not owning any smartphone, so can't take a picture of my desk easily.

As a first post here s mine.
I like the fishtank and the globe (on top of the woofer) that can give light. Not sure about all those speakers... Either you like to watch movies (and have a decent audio setting), or the boxes are from the different computers.
a good pencil sharpener. So you draw? (looking at the easel in the background)

Well, here's mine
You have a rodent infestation... I count 4 mices... ;)
sound boxes on the ground: Old but still work, so not getting replaced. While the new ones are on the table. Muffins and a cup... probably tea, as the inside looks so clean. nice backlight for at night... green shade. And matching tables for each one of you... I like that.

Here is the design of my office spac
Yeah! Model M keyboard for the win!
[doublepost=1463426482,1463425771][/doublepost]
workbench
Ah, so a person that does electronics, actually prefers a compact keyboard to a comfortable one... just to have more space for electronics! Man, I love your portrait idea. I was going to buy an arm (holds the monitor, and allows it to be moved around)... until I noticed that the wall was too hard to penetrate with bolds ("carrier wall, where the building holds on to")

Ah, so a person that does electronics, actually prefers a compact keyboard to a comfortable one... just to have more space for electronics! Man, I love your portrait idea. I was going to buy an arm (holds the monitor, and allows it to be moved around)... until I noticed that the wall was too hard to penetrate with bolds ("carrier wall, where the building holds on to")
It's the one I picked up for the OMAP 5 devboard, it's small and doesn't take up much space... I prefer IBM Model M keyboards... I have 20 or so on a shelf on the other side of the room, but that was on the other side of the room. That was just a quick setup for reading.

Last edited:
You have a rodent infestation... I count 4 mices... ;)
sound boxes on the ground: Old but still work, so not getting replaced. While the new ones are on the table. Muffins and a cup... probably tea, as the inside looks so clean. nice backlight for at night... green shade. And matching tables for each one of you... I like that.

When I took the job, I redecorated the study - the green is very, very nice to work in. Tables are quite small, which is comfortable for me with two laptops open at once - but there's no space for speakers with them, so they go on the floor. They're old early 2000s speakers, and are very powerful with enormous amounts of bass which I like.

Muffins - why not, I'm working from home, and there's no need to be able to fit anything in a lunchbox, and with a supermarket complex just across the road I just buy whatever I like for lunch!

Tea - naturally. And yes, the desktop is her machine :)

Eh. May as well.

IMG_20160518_001545.jpg

This is less a "desk" and more a display of electronics, bar 3 items, that aren't in use ATM. A broken GBA, HP Pavilion 15 w/a busted battery, an old Epson Stylus printer w/no ink, a Sansa Clip+ that I'd use while running if I didn't bust my shoes along with my Monoprice 9927s, and a Pine A64+ I just got yesterday with no power supply (none of my chargers are powerful enough).

EDIT: Christ, that picture is massive. Needed to wrap it in spoilers to make it a little more mobile-friendly. Sorry about that.

I like to see chest-of-drawers ... not your old odd socks though!
But those drawers of random odds-n-sods like busted electronics and random collectables.

I don't have an actual desk at moment, other than my one at work which is somewhat of a toy-corner.
At home I just plonk the laptop on my lap on sofa, or if gaming on the PC it's one of those smaller cases which just sits in the media unit under my telly, no monitor.

I got drawers and drawers and drawers of crap though ... People around me view it as crap, but I have to keep it all, even those old 8GB HDD which are not going to get used ever, and the 20 or so micro USB cables

I think I junked an old SCSI 1024MB (a real Gigabyte!) hard disc when I moved last, along with my 30-pin SIMMs. Smallest hard disc I have now is probably 18GB. Smallest IDE drive is I think 60GB, or I may have trashed that already.

I like to see chest-of-drawers ... not your old odd socks though!
But those drawers of random odds-n-sods like busted electronics and random collectables.

Trust, there's all of that in those drawers. Hell, you can see some of the crap in the translucent plastic drawers. The black chest-o-drawers is a good example.

In the bottom drawer is my small collection of Wii games, which includes gems like Xenoblade Chronicles, Okami, Saint (side-scrolling shooter that's considered a spiritual successor to a similar TG-16 game I can't remember), and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (which is an actual successor to the N64 game Sin & Punishment). In the drawer above it is a Sony VAIO laptop with the hard drive removed. Next to it are 2 Sega Saturn controllers.

Back