Shoulder Buttons

indrema

Still Fresh
I don't want to sound nitpicky, but I keep reading about "out of the box" psx emulation; so shouldn't the system have four shoulder buttons?

I say half the games didn't really use L2 and R2 for anything useful. For the part that does, most can live with them being mapped to something else in the keyboard.

Obvious exception to that is the Megaman games of course. It *will* be kind of awkward to play Legends without R2.

But anyway for just a small fraction of a fraction (PS1 emulation) of uses, it's not worth the trouble ( = lots more thickness) to add 2 extra shoulder buttons. Heck, Sony didn't put L2 and R2 in THEIR portable.

out of the box? were are you hearing about this. I only heard it was a possibility. admittedly a very high possibility but just a possibility none the less.

I agree it is a bit odd... it has all the psx controls except those. the can always be mapped to the keyboard or you can use a real psx controller

found the psx to usb converter, all anyone has to do is make drivers. here's what it looks like but you can get it at your friendly neighborhood wall mart.

figure4.jpg

Indrema said:
I don't want to sound nitpicky, but I keep reading about "out of the box" psx emulation; so shouldn't the system have four shoulder buttons?
Few PSX games use R2/L2 frequently, if at all. Those buttons could easily be mapped to keyboard keys or analog clicks or anything else when they are needed.

For purists, there are solder points on the PCB for R2/L2 microswitches. There wasn't an easy way to integrate actual buttons into the official design. I'm sure somebody will figure out a way to hack them into place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if they'd be too big, the only possibility I see would 2 DSlite buttons above the shoulder buttons. I understand that even this could make the system enormous - so that's out.

I always thought the PSP removed shoulder buttons so as to NOT allow emulation of psx. That way, they could resell them at full price.

As for out of the box, that was at about three different sites.

Indrema said:
I always thought the PSP removed shoulder buttons so as to NOT allow emulation of psx. That way, they could resell them at full price.

As for out of the box, that was at about three different sites.
And yet PSX emulation is very popular on the PSP, despite the shoulder button shortage.

Full speed PSX emulation is a reasonable expectation within a reasonable time of launch. As you can see, work is already under way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back