Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix all our software

• Make a "faulty" fix mod (LCD replace)

• Do something else. Post your ideas.

• Total voters

I think for now we should just incorporate a option in our software, probably in an options menu or something:

"
What LCD do you have?

> Samsung
Taiwanese
I don't know
"

Selecting "I don't know" will bring up a solid color screen with a dotted line at the top, and some text like this:
"
The screen should be a solid color.
A dotted line should appear at the
very top of the screen, and *not*
the bottom.

If this description is correct, you have
a Samsung screen. If not, you have
a Taiwanese screen.
PRESS START
"

Incorporating this option in games will eliminate the need to have two seperate versions of the game. It'd just be a few extra lines of code to initialize the correct
values into the LCD settings.

Yes, I also don't like how they changed the LCD, because I want the BLU because the contrast is so good, you could tell what color everything is!! :D But I'm going to wait until maybe my birthday which is a few months out of the way from now, to see if maybe the condition improves.

Aaah, wait.

Before we do THAT, we need to find out if the NEW programs are compatible with the old GP32 (I'm pretty sure they are!)

So, we wouldn't need a selector for new ones.

Problem is, most developers don't have a new BLU for testing purposes.
Once I get my new BLU (I don't know how fast Lik-Sang can supply me with one), I'll try to contact some devs who are interested in a solution so I can run their tests on my GP.

The other problem is getting the old stuff running at the new BLUs.

There are several possible solutions:

1. Maybe it's possible to find a Hex sequence for the LCD driver and create a patching tool. This way, all the old software can be updated.

2. It could also be possible by developing a firmware which changes the routines while loading a game. This way, with a new firmware, all games would run without problems. This solution surely is a bit tricky to develop, but it would be great.

I'm sure devs will find a solution!

JLB posted on Dec 12 2004 at 10:22 PM said:
I can run their tests on my new GP32 BLU now !

Well, go ask them if you want to help out :)
Good offer :)

Last edited:
Does using these new settings slow down the app at all? Maybe the reason so many apps use non-standard settings is because they are faster. Does this mean that all future emus etc will be slower because of this? I hope not. If that was the case then there should be an option to run the app with old or new settings.

Also how do these new LCDs look compared to the old ones? If they are cheap maybe they don't look so good. Are they as bright? Is the contrast and black level as good?

Antiriad posted on Dec 12 2004 at 06:25 PM said:
this is sad news... especially in regards to programs that arent updated much anymore

Yeah what about openSNES and GPengine that is not worked on anymore and it was said to be messed up on the new hardware?

Last edited by a moderator:
:(

I see u guys trying to compromise but this is all very confusing and I think new comers will get scared. You know how much were going to have to wait for all these programs to be recoded. And tested for bugs and compatibility and so on and so on. It can be months. Only solution i would see is a quick fix of the bios like most people said. Or mabe changing the screen but once again If the screen is changed then the bios wont work. Damn this is confusing. I feel sorry for gp32 honestly i think this was a huge mistake.

The easiest way for all of us would be if Gamepark switched back to Samsung.

And I'm sure a lot more people will buy them if they do. I feel that Gamepark
is really STUPID if they dont.

But what if they can't?

Well, they should look for a more compatible LCD screen, or put a chip
in that automatically translates the old lcd instructions to the new lcd's format.

New firmware is NOT the solution. It doesn't fix everything. Gamepark have already tried that.

Recoding is not the solution because it isn't possible with some programs.

Hex hacking sounds really far out there. It looks like it won't work.
Maybe it'll fix the ones that use Mirko's or somebody else's SDK, but not
completly custom routines. Firmware auto hex-fixing is the same thing.

But it does teach us a lesson:

RELEASE THE SOURCE OF YOUR PROJECTS SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

Thank you.

Looks like ill be getting a DS then if the GP32 screens are gonna be a problem (instead of my upgrade to BLU this is). I mean they have a fairly good GBA scene aswell as a soon (hopefully) DS scene :)

I know its not GameParks fault but if they are changing an important piece of hardware like this this far through the products life cycle and its causing problems its a little stupid like; and shows they havent done much testing.

Hi all,

I just made a little app using Mr.Mirkos SDK, and as soon as I init the screen I get the funky bars happening. I presume then that if you use Mr.Mirkos SDK (any game that uses it) will have this problem.

I also assume that the fix is very simple, and that Mr.Mirko will be releasing an updated version soon? :)

pea posted on Dec 13 2004 at 02:08 AM said:
Hi all,

I just made a little app using Mr.Mirkos SDK, and as soon as I init the screen I get the funky bars happening. I presume then that if you use Mr.Mirkos SDK (any game that uses it) will have this problem.

I also assume that the fix is very simple, and that Mr.Mirko will be releasing an updated version soon? :)

But what about the tons of appz that are already realised. Whats going to happen now. :( I feel a dark Time Arrousing.

Arising... Arousing is something... different.

LOL :p very amusing

If gamepark is to be believed and the fixes are just changed values for some porch variables (? dont ask me) then it shouldn't be too hard to change them with a hex editor if you know where to look (I don't) - but of course the source would be easier.

That is - if the new values don't affect the 'old' (samsung) hardware...

That is -also - if some guru devs can be arsed...

pea posted on Dec 13 2004 at 10:28 AM said:
Arising... Arousing is something... different.

LOL :p very amusing

If gamepark is to be believed and the fixes are just changed values for some porch variables (? dont ask me) then it shouldn't be too hard to change them with a hex editor if you know where to look (I don't) - but of course the source would be easier.

That is - if the new values don't affect the 'old' (samsung) hardware...

That is -also - if some guru devs can be arsed...

Well - finding out the Hex values is possible.
As soon as Mr. Mirko's SDK is fixed (IF it is Mr. Mirko's SDK), you can compile a small program with the old one and the new one and then hex compare both.
Do this with 5-6 different simple programs, and you should find out the Hex values.
Writing an automatic patch tool for that is easy.

Last edited:
I wanted to buy a BLU, but now with all those taiwanese lcd issues scared me. Do programs like LittleJohn,SmsPlus, GpEngine are affected ? are they any screenshots ?
Is there a compatibility list done ?

Those emu are my reason of buying a gp32...

thanks in advance

Blah posted on Dec 24 2004 at 02:13 AM said:
Nobody reads this topic anymore, make a new topic if you want to get some input.

We will read it now that it has been bumped.

Yeah. :p

First off, did the pinned topic mention those emulators at all? I don't know offhand, sorry.

On another note, has anyone tried making a program that allows you to play around with the LCD init settings so you can enter custom values in? Dunno, maybe we'll find something interesting... like a setting that works on both consoles? :p

Also, did anyone ever find out what was REALLY causing the wrapped scanline?

Edit: By the way, why does the LCD have vertical scanlines instead of horizontal? (instead of drawing the screen left to right every scanline, it draws top to bottom)

pascal posted on Dec 24 2004 at 04:00 AM said:
I wanted to buy a BLU, but now with all those taiwanese lcd issues scared me. Do programs like LittleJohn,SmsPlus, GpEngine are affected ? are they any screenshots ?
Is there a compatibility list done ?

Those emu are my reason of buying a gp32...

thanks in advance

About those programs being affected... No, no, and no. :p

Go get one!

Back