Should I Wait?

The Last Spartan

Still Fresh
Website
gbatemp.net
Hey guys

Is it still worth it for me to save up for a gp2x. I plan to use it as a console(with the bob cradle and four usb controolers) and as a handheld. But there is now a new GP2X and I dont wether I should wait or buy the 2X in 2 months. Please help me :( !

We don't know when this new console will be released. No one can make the decision for you.
Buy both.

Yeah I wouldn't wait - will be quite a while before a production run can be made I would think - and they'll be snapped up very quickly.
Get a gp2x and enjoy it in the interim would be my recommendation.

The Last Spartan said:
Im thinking of going for both as well. Quick question though. What emulators support USB game controllers?
I don't have one, but I've read MAME, PicoDrive, gnGeo and probably more.

Last edited by a moderator:
From official announcement that the new handheld is going to be launced, it'll probably take about 2 months to actually launch it. My guess at any rate.

Currently, we've had unofficial announcement, but announcement. Craigix mentioned "We'll be back in a month" in his signing off post in the big thread. Implies we'll hear real details then. Knowing how this scene works you can double any official estimates for release. So I'd guess this'll probably turn up in about 4 months or so.

However, there's talk that December "would be nice" earlier in that same thread, so I suppose that could happen if (and only if) it takes a lot less time to iron out flaws than it probably will.

The question is if you can go without experiencing the joy that is handheld emulation for another 4 months...

Tobriand said:
From official announcement that the new handheld is going to be launced, it'll probably take about 2 months to actually launch it. My guess at any rate.

Currently, we've had unofficial announcement, but announcement. Craigix mentioned "We'll be back in a month" in his signing off post in the big thread. Implies we'll hear real details then. Knowing how this scene works you can double any official estimates for release. So I'd guess this'll probably turn up in about 4 months or so.

However, there's talk that December "would be nice" earlier in that same thread, so I suppose that could happen if (and only if) it takes a lot less time to iron out flaws than it probably will.

The question is if you can go without experiencing the joy that is handheld emulation for another 4 months...
You can pretty much guarantee that the the new one won't be available for purchase this year. These projects pretty much always end up taking longer than expected. My guess would be Easter of 08. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will be sooner, but I doubt it.

I have just got a cradle and, yes the design could be better, but if you want to play mame, spectrum and others on your home tv using usb joypads then its fantastic.

Could be a year before everything is as good on the new system - so I'd buy now.

The Last Spartan said:
Hey guys

Is it still worth it for me to save up for a gp2x. I plan to use it as a console(with the bob cradle and four usb controolers) and as a handheld. But there is now a new GP2X and I dont wether I should wait or buy the 2X in 2 months. Please help me :( !
who knows if it will really be coming out? I would buy it you can get a real good deal on ebay or you could trade something for one like a ds,psp etc if your watching your money.. besides some emus/games are great and there is litreally like 1 billon games/roms/emus/apps and so on that will keep you content for years. My advice is buy it and get like 5 sd cards.

DBH said:
Ok put it this way it took over a year to release the damn cradle what makes you think the next console will be here anytime soon?
Another company will be making it as I've understood. But I think it will take more than a year to have the same quality software available for the new console.

In the mean time we will still be able to enjoy the gp2x, and there is still great stuff being developed for it.

Buy the GP2X, it has a huge software library already. The 3X (or whatever name they decide to give it) may be out by the end of the year, but it'll certainly be a while after that before it has the same software library as the 2X.

When your favourite software is ported to the 3X, then buy one of those as well.

Don't buy from Play-Asia. My joystick went out after 1 month and I had to return. Took over six months to resolve. The cradle is really not necessary in my opinion. I was disappointed with mine. I think someone should come out with a lightweight PC based console for that purpose alone (emulators and games). But the GP2X itself is awesome as a handheld.

It says they have them. I only have a third of the money anyway. Next month I will probably be getting it. Are returns really that hard(with play-asia)?

The Last Spartan said:
It says they have them. I only have a third of the money anyway. Next month I will probably be getting it. Are returns really that hard(with play-asia)?
why not ebay. i have seen some lately less then 130USD that doesnt come with any accesories but who cares.

Back