I Was Staring At My Psp This Morning...

classicgmr

Website
Visit site
So as I was stating... I woke up this morning and in that post-waking, eye-crusty daze it hit me... I needed to downgrade my PSP! I had not had this thought in about 6 months - I haven't USED my PSP in about 6 months for that matter - and I have no clue why it hit me today.. but it HAD to be done!

I started "Googling it"(when the hell did Google become a verb anyway??) and found a site that boasted the easiest 2.71 downgrade to 1.5 program out there. Trouble was I had 2.60 and that downgrader required GTA which I refuse to even own. Checked the official PSP site and they're up to 2.80. *sigh* Another morning shot.

I hit back on my browser to bookmark the PSP Hack site and decided to check out their download section to keep some things in mind for when I could downgrade and "Woohoo!" ... they had the 2.71 upgrade in the archive! Downloaded that and the downgrader program. Updated my PSP to 2.71 and then - with an insane amount of trepidation, fear, loathing, etc - I ran the downgrader.

It froze my PSP. I popped the battery out and put it back in. Whew! Works fine again. :) OK I should just stop here right? Nope I'm an idiot. I tried it again. Froze again. Popped battery. Booted ok. Tried AGAIN! (I never learn) Lather. Rinse. Repeat. About 4 tries.

Checked the site again. This is normal for the updater to freeze! *whew* Tried twice more and got the "red screen of death!" the updater is supposed to load. PSP crashed like they said it should and rebooted. Now I'm the proud owner of a 1.5 PSP. :)

Stella (Atari 2600) HAD to be on there first. Runs nice. :) I also like the SNES emulator! Almost full-speed (on everything I tried anyway) and no cell issues(background items showing up in foreground a la Sim City where the guy runs *behind* the door to give you advice).

Anyone recommend some good sites to check out the homebrew and emulation scene?

BTW - I love my GP2X systems but now I have a 3rd toy to run around and play with! Woohoo me and my stupid stubborn streaks!

Thanks for listening to my insane chatter - just real happy today. :)

g4m3r posted on Sep 4 2006 at 02:29 PM said:
Is it even necessary to downgrade with the discovery of this exploit?

I just read through the article link and according to that the demo proves it's possible to open the PSP to emu/homebrew no matter the firmware HOWEVER it's only a demo and has not been successfully implemented yet. They also state 2.71+ will be harder to implement.

This does make me feel even better about my PSP though since I may eventually be able to run my Worms and Gran Tourismo(God willing it ever comes out!) UMD's without having to give up the new-found freedom of FW 1.50. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend DCemu for news (if you're not interested in ISO related things ;) ).

As for good apps here's a list of stuff every 1.5 psp shoud have:

1. Devhook (allows you to run up to 2.71 firmware on your psp)
2. iRShell (alternative frontend with all kinds of built in stuff like eBook reader (with pdf support), zip support, wifi and usb transfer, the list goes on)
3. PiMPStreamer - if you have a wireless network (allows streaming of unconverted video and audio files to the PSP (includes support for DivX, Xvid, mpeg4, wmv, etc)
4. SnesTYL
5. gpSP (fullspeed GBA emulator, compatibility is still quite low, maybe 50-60% but when it does work it's full speed with sound)

Other stuff that's worth checking out:

6. PSPradio (shoutcast radio streamer)
7. Daedalus R8 (N64 emulator - Mario 64 is playable, without sound though)
8. MapThis! (GPS/Map viewer that uses google maps)

There's more I'm sure, just check out this list to see if there's anything else that seems interesting to you.

Plus don't forget to check out some of the homebrew as well, there's some good stuff there too! :)

Classic Gamer posted on Sep 4 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
g4m3r posted on Sep 4 2006 at 02:29 PM said:
Is it even necessary to downgrade with the discovery of this exploit?

I just read through the article link and according to that the demo proves it's possible to open the PSP to emu/homebrew no matter the firmware HOWEVER it's only a demo and has not been successfully implemented yet. They also state 2.71+ will be harder to implement.

This does make me feel even better about my PSP though since I may eventually be able to run my Worms and Gran Tourismo(God willing it ever comes out!) UMD's without having to give up the new-found freedom of FW 1.50. :D
Yeah I realize it is just a demo, but if successfully implemented, there won't be any need to downgrade below 2.71.

Last edited by a moderator:
I downgraded my PSP back to 1.5 yesterday (indeed, it took 8-10 tries to get the red screen). I upgraded about the time the GP2X came out--believing that the GP2X would pretty quickly surpass the PSP in terms of emulation. It has, for the most part, but there are still some things (SNES) that are better on PSP. And there are now some things that will probably NEVER happen on GP2X (N64) that run very nice on PSP.

I'm happy with the GP2X/PSP homebrew combination. :)

Back