Should I Get One?

JohnnyElsewhere

Still Fresh
I had a discussion with my friend the other day about getting this awesome console; and he says PSP is SO much better in many ways-- but I told him of the capabilities of this system, but he still went on about how great the PSP was.

I've been looking at videos of this, and watching the random stuff on it.

I'm intrigued, but want to be SURE that this system is AWESOME.

Can someone give me a list of the PROs and CONs? I want to be sure this is worth it before I do anything else.

There are quite a few PSP vs GP2X threads around in this section that you can look for. I would also recommend reading about the upcoming Pandora console.

Mr Johnny said:
Had both, neither fits the bill.

If you can get one for $100 I would go for it, otherwise it really isn't worth it.

I had both, the PSP has a CRAP screen (blurry and bad contrast). I think the controls on both suck, lousy directionals.

The PSP is very heavy, but sort of makes up for it with the wifi and the li-ion battery and web browser. But then falls off again because you can't connect a mouse or keyboard. :angry: :angry:

The GP2X can connect a mouse or keyboard, but all the commercial options are way to expensive and complex for no good reason (I have made my own USB cable, but it is pretty difficult). Add to that the USB support is spotty to nil (Qtopia returns garbage characters every keypress, sterm won't allow the shift key, WTF, how can you use command line linux without the shift key??)

I think they are both lousy in the end, for my purposes. I look forward to the Pandora, all signs point to it being very powerful, inbuilt USB, nice screen, li-ion battery and charger. Dual SD slots.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a retro gamer then this console is for you. No mods required. All games/emus/interpreters run from the SD. Excellent archive and forum (duh.) I have a cradle and KB/Mouse/GamePad but support across the board is spotty. TV out has some issues for a few apps. I'm a Unix admin and shell script on a game console was too intriguing to pass up.
So, if you want the newest and fanciest games with some PITA firmware hacks to support retro gaming then get a PSP. (No flames please)
There are a lot of threads but this is what it came down to for me. Read the WIKI game list or the emulator list and decide for yourself.

You will get varying opinions, but this system is great, albeit not awesome. I consider it money well spent, but don't ask my wife :)

Mr Johnny said:
I want something I can hold in my hands, not something I have to put on a table. lol
Are you referring to the Pandora? IIRC, it is the same size as an old (PHAT) DS.

yaustar said:
There are quite a few PSP vs GP2X threads around in this section that you can look for. I would also recommend reading about the upcoming Pandora console.

When does this come out?

EDIT: Found it :p Sometime around April/May 2008

Is it correct to assume that the Pandora's price when converted from Euro to Australian would be AUS$550? If so that is NUTS.

Mr Johnny said:
Can someone give me a list of the PROs and CONs? I want to be sure this is worth it before I do anything else.
Depends on what you want. I own both as I love the handheld gaming scene. I also have an NDS amongst others.

If you are into the PSP commercial games then obviously that's why you'd want a PSP. There are no 3D games on the GP2X of the caliber found on the PSP.

If you are into emulation of older systems or homebrew then GP2X is probably better - though the PSP also has some excellent emulators too. I'm talking arcade games and older systems here like SNES, NES, Megadrive, SMS, Neo Geo, etc. Both do this well though on a while the GP2X wins out. Each has it's stand out emulators though.

If you want to develop games then it's the GP2X - it's so nice to dev for!

If you're in the US, it costs $330 for Pandora. If you can get a GP2X for $100-ish, its definitely worth it. Otherwise, wait for Pandora.

If you love retro games, the GP2X is PERFECT. It can play NES, PCEngine and CD games, Genesis, Sega CD, MAME, Neo Geo, Wonderswan, Game Boy and GBC, and all those other older consoles at fullspeed.

SNES is fullspeed for MOST games but not all. Playstation emulation is getting better too; Final Fantasy VII is able to run fullspeed. GBA emulation works too, and its close to fullspeed, but not quite.

There are also plenty of homebrew games, like Cave Story, Ruckman, Boomshine2x, Duke2x, Quake2x, Doom, and a bunch of other stuff.

It does also play MP3s and videos. The MP3 playback is very disappointing, even with programs like Oldplay. If you're looking for a good MP3 player, pick up a Creative ZEN or an iPod. It plays video too, and that it does very well.

Battery life is probably a pretty significant downside. You'll probably get 4-5 hours per 2 2650mAh NiMH Duracell Rechargeable batteries. But, if you buy them in a pack of 4 (which is the only way they sell them) then you'll have a sizeable amount of play time.

If you like retro games, go for the GP2X. If you have a bit of money, wait for the Pandora. If you like commercial games, go for the PSP.

I wonder if our friends at GPH ever expected prominent members of this community to enter into competition, e.g. releasing Pandora...

vaustein said:
I wonder if our friends at GPH ever expected prominent members of this community to enter into competition, e.g. releasing Pandora...
Nobody releases pandora yet...
XGP even had a working prototype, but dead now

quasist said:
vaustein said:
Nobody releases pandora yet...
XGP even had a working prototype, but dead now

But we aren't talking about Game Park here. :lol:

Besides, you could say that about a lot of things.

Mr Johnny said:
I had a discussion with my friend the other day about getting this awesome console; and he says PSP is SO much better in many ways-- but I told him of the capabilities of this system, but he still went on about how great the PSP was.

I've been looking at videos of this, and watching the random stuff on it.

Well if you mean AWSOME by pure CPU and 3D power than the PSP is for you. The PSP is alot more powerful.

The GP2X is a nice emulator system because the screen aspect and resolution match better and it is easier to work with (no hacking or flashing needed to run emus). You can get bigger SD storage media for cheaper than the Sony memory sticks. The PSP has some smearing of a fast moving image and you need to scale the image to get a good size which results in some blurriness.

The PSP is "great" for all of those fancy 3D games that are so popular. If that is what you want, then PSP is it.

They are both close enough emulation wise that I would say they are more or less "even" unless you are looking at something specific.

The major differences (as far as systems I want to play) are that PS1 emulation of the PSP is fantastic, and MAME on the GP2X is much better right now.

I would think about two things making the decision:

Do any of the commercial PSP games look interesting to you, or would it be homebrew only?

In a couple years I gaurentee you'll still be able to find a used PSP easily, a GP2X maybe not quite so easily. Maybe by that time youll want to get a Pandora (or whatever is around), but still...

As far as screens go, the PSP screen has pretty bad ghosting, the GP2X has a pretty bad viewing angle. In other words, I am pretty inimpressed with each in different ways.

housemonkey said:
As far as screens go, the PSP screen has pretty bad ghosting, the GP2X has a pretty bad viewing angle. In other words, I am pretty inimpressed with each in different ways.
The MK2 has a bad viewing angle, I quite liked my MK1's, the MK2's were a little different (Is the F200 a MK2 screen?), that said, I don't know how you would get ahold of a MK1 anymore.

If you shop a bit both are around $100 used, you could get both, then sell the one that didn't do it for you.

Back