Where Can I Get A Psu (uk)?

Avavatar

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm planning to update the firmware on my GP2X, but don't really want to attempt it without a PSU.
I tried emailling GP2X.co.uk, but they don't have any.

I tried ebay and also tried a few electronic shops (Maplins and Tandy) but can't seem to find a compatible unit.

Anyone know where I can get a PSU? :blink:

Cheers!

Had the same problem once but eventually found a good PSU at jessops, for approx. 10 quid.
Done plenty of FW upgrades with it as well and never had problems! :)

Jessops can be found in any bigger UK shopping mall.

"SunSpire"

Excellent, thanks :)

Did you buy any particular brand?
Or do I just ask for what it says on the back of the GP2X, i.e. 3.3V 1A

I showed them my gp2x unit and asked for a PSU that supports 3.3V and has the right size to fit into the gp2x and they ripped one "Jessops" branded universal PSU out of the box to test it with my unit in store, and it worked like a charm :) The voltage can be adjusted from 1.5 up to 12, and it got a bunch of replaceable jacks in different sizes with it so you can plug it into other electronic devices as well if needed.

I reckon mA does not equal mAh, cos my PSU says 500mA but it works excellent without any screen flickering or scanlines which others said occur if the PSU is too weak, but as said .. no problems here!

Just take your gp2x with you and ask them nicely to test it for you! Good Luck! :)

"SunSpire"

I showed them my gp2x unit and asked for a PSU that supports 3.3V and has the right size to fit into the gp2x and they ripped one "Jessops" branded universal PSU out of the box to test it with my unit in store, and it worked like a charm :) The voltage can be adjusted from 1.5 up to 12, and it got a bunch of replaceable jacks in different sizes with it so you can plug it into other electronic devices as well if needed.

I reckon mA does not equal mAh, cos my PSU says 500mA but it works excellent without any screen flickering or scanlines which others said occur if the PSU is too weak, but as said .. no problems here!

Just take your gp2x with you and ask them nicely to test it for you! Good Luck! :)

"SunSpire"
You need 1A if you are using TV out, the resize chip, overclocking, and possibly firmware upgrade.
Also, mA and mAh are different. mA is how much current it uses, and mAh is what current a battery can power something for an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the backside of my PSU and it says 500mA 6VA max. .. has VA to do with A then?
Obviously it is strong enough cos like I said there is no screen flickering and it can perform all the tasks you mentioned above.

It's been so long since I had that stuff in school :p

EDIT: Just for comparison, I got another PSU here from germany that is set to 3.3V and it reads "max. 500mA", when I use that one with my gp2x I get some heavy flickering on the screen, not so with the jessops one.

"SunSpire"

I just checked the backside of my PSU and it says 500mA 6VA max. .. has VA to do with A then?
Obviously it is strong enough cos like I said there is no screen flickering and it can perform all the tasks you mentioned above.

It's been so long since I had that stuff in school :p

EDIT: Just for comparison, I got another PSU here from germany that is set to 3.3V and it reads "max. 500mA", when I use that one with my gp2x I get some heavy flickering on the screen, not so with the jessops one.

"SunSpire"

VA means volt ampere, so basically it's another way of saying watts.

Or so I'm told. Fairly sure, though.

I got one of these from Argos today, and it powers on the unit, but then after a few minutes (or after the slightest nudge - and I mean very slight) the power resets. A couple of times the screen gets very bright for a second or two, then resets.

Has anyone used one of these Argos PSU's? Does it normally work? Or have I just got a dud PSU?

For now I'm on batteries until I figure it out, I read somewhere that using the wrong type of charger can kill the gp2x?

Sounds like a bad plug. I ordered a plug from an electronics store to use it with my selfmade batteryback, and the inside hole was too big, so the connection tended to be unstable

I got one of these from Argos today, and it powers on the unit, but then after a few minutes (or after the slightest nudge - and I mean very slight) the power resets. A couple of times the screen gets very bright for a second or two, then resets.

Has anyone used one of these Argos PSU's? Does it normally work? Or have I just got a dud PSU?

For now I'm on batteries until I figure it out, I read somewhere that using the wrong type of charger can kill the gp2x?
I recommended it because I've got one myself and it works perfectly. It's also listed on the wiki so I assume quite a few other people use this same adapter without problems too.

I recommended it because I've got one myself and it works perfectly. It's also listed on the wiki so I assume quite a few other people use this same adapter without problems too.

Very strange. Can you tell me if the adaptor goes all the way in on your gp2x? I'm using the smallest supplied adaptor and the adaptor doesn't seem to go in completely into the socket. Wondering if thats perhaps the problem.

I'm curious about this. The Wiki would have me believe that all that's required is a 1000mA Adapter. So I went out and bought one. It sucked - got the flickering lines thing.

Some people seem to think that a 2500mA transformer is better suited to the gig. What are your opinions? Does anyone know what the "official" PSU is rated at? Can I cook my GP2X by feeding it a 2500mA current?

From the GP2X sales email address when I enquired about a PSU:

I can't give you date for stock of the PSU. The previous one we stocked was a Masterplug multi-voltage, 3v -9v, 1200ma, 230v - 50hz , it wasn't the Gamepark PSU. You can purchase a suitable one from any electrical store but we recommend taking the GP2X with you to ensure the correct fitting of the adaptor - that is the reason we do not stock the above PSU anymore as the fitting was loose on the GP2X Mk2. Hope this information helps

As for a 2500ma PSU/Transformer - don't electrical devices tend to only draw the current that they need? But if you do use the full 2.5A, you might want to consider lying a piece of bread on the back and persuade Play-Asia or some other 3rd party to develop a toaster accessory :)

Some people seem to think that a 2500mA transformer is better suited to the gig. What are your opinions? Does anyone know what the "official" PSU is rated at? Can I cook my GP2X by feeding it a 2500mA current?
That´s just idiots who have no clue of basic electronics. Everything above 1A (or 1000mA, which is the same, just to prevent confusion) is fine.

Hi, sorry for a stupid question - but i'm not very clued up (actually i'm very crap!) on electronics, voltage etc... so could someone help confirm if this particular adaptor will be ok to use:

Universal AC/DC adaptor (Variety of connection adaptors - including correct GP2x size)

Settings are 0, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12 - option to change polarity + and -

Input = 230V~50Hz 8.7W
Output = 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12 -- 300mA 3.6VA(max)

Thanks!

Very strange. Can you tell me if the adaptor goes all the way in on your gp2x? I'm using the smallest supplied adaptor and the adaptor doesn't seem to go in completely into the socket. Wondering if thats perhaps the problem.

I have the same problem with a PSU I bought in Woolworths. Using the smallest adaptor a slight nudge cuts the power off - most annoying. Infact, I've not used it recently as batteries are more reliable!

I see from the wiki that the required plug is "0.7X2.35MM" so I'll borrow a caliper from work today and check if my plug matches this - could it be that there are two similar sized plugs (like the 2.1mm and 2.5mm ones) or maybe us Brits get imperial sized ones with rounding errors?! :p

Luckily it was one my parents ordered a while back and never used :).... So everything else was ok (specs wise), but I just need one that is 1000mA instead?

Cheers!... i'll take a trip to Dixons at the weekend I think :)

Got the one from Argos today, works perfectly! :)

Just upgraded to firmware 2 as well... went pretty smoothly :)

Also, nothing to do with this... but just got a call from my local game shop, they've confirmed that my PreOrdered Wii will be available on release day! :)

Today's going really well, I might go stick a lottery ticket on!

Thanks for the help!

Back