Confused About Buying One Of These

idk761

Still Fresh
I had hacked my PSP and know what homebrew is. But I have just discovered this portable system 2 days ago and been reading up on it.
I have read the basic info sticky, and it says XGP and all this stuff about that is a commercial based.

To get my facts straight.
1. The GP2X is the one where it fully supports homebrew

2. So basically all the Emulators up to GBA are perfect?

3. Is the homebrew community is still active, and how much longer you think it will last?

4. I know the PSP Phat was more wanted for homebrew, so is there any specific GP2X that is mostly wanted?

5. What would I need to buy to get started, here are the things I would like.
a. At least 4gb of memory(what type of SD does it use, the ones I use for cannon cameras?)
b. Able to play 6 hours on the system
c. anything else I might need
d. What do you recommend

6. And what is this Pandora and Wiz thing?

I am in no rush, so I will continue to do my research, but answering these question would be helpful

While I still like my GP2X and even the GP32 very much, to a newcomer I would recommend to wait for the Pandora or the Wiz. But anyway:

1) yes, the homebrew is the merit here

2) some are better (read "faster"), some could still use some tweaking, but most of them are very usable. Also depends if you mind small picture or stretching.

3) it is still active, as you can see from the flow of releases, but it will definitely get much slower after the release of the Pandora and Wiz.

4) that is rather individual, but most would probably go for the F200 with directional pad instead of the clumsy joystict my F100 has. There is also the touch screen..

5) it uses normal SD cards, the same ones your camera uses and I am sure something like 2GB (or 4GB) is more than enough for this purpose. But it depends what you want to use it for of course, for retro emulation even 1GB is a lot of space.

6) I am sure you can learn more about Pandora with a little of googling, but you can go directly to www.openpandora.org for starters.

personally if i was you i would wait and get either the pandora or the wiz gp2x development i doubt will die as the gp32 is still going.

i get about 3-4 hours out of my gp2x but it depends on what you will be playing on it the wiz and pandora both use built in batteries which last longer.

With the GP2X-F200, it supports SDHC cards. So it should support upto a maximum of 32GB. I have a 8GB and 16GB SDHC card that works perfectly. No need to change cards to watch movies or play on emulators, etc. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I realize the types of portable system likes this now.
Think I will be going with Wiz, because it is cheaper, and it isn't as "cluttered"
Is there a vs thread compareing the Wiz and Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back