Sales shipping to canada query

TrevorBradley said:
If it all gets shipped out of the UK, I'm wondering how much the Americans would get dinged.

This is something I would like to get an idea of as well as many others I suppose as well.

DenHarrow said:
The site mentioned 'special distribution arrangements' to Canada, so I assumed it was being shipped from within Canada and the (rather steep) fee would include all 'extras'. Now I'm not so sure, but at least there is still some time to get this resolved before actual shipping starts.

I would love to know how this will be handled as well, I'm in Canada too. I took that to mean they'd ship them from within Canada to spare us the customs/gouging, etc. But I wasn't sure if that referred to the first batch of pre-orders, or later batches, once they had distribution in Canada. I ordered my GP2X from Gamersection.ca, for example.

Right before the gp32x.de forum went down, MWeston had replied to a similar thread and said he ordered stuff from GBAX.com all the time, and usually only had to pay GST when it arrived. So, hopefully that is the case for our Pandoras as well! :ph34r:

An extra $250 or whatever will be a deal breaker...But GST would be closer to about $20 maybe? That I can deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea an extra $250 and you're over the $500 mark.

You can buy a good used car for that to get you from Point A to Point B and vice versa, now you're over the $500 mark.

Now taken right from the OpenPandora front page:

Anyone from anywhere in the world can order a Pandora, and we have special distribution arrangements for USA, Canada, Spain, UK, Ireland, Germany & Turkey.

Sooo. If Craig & Co. could elaborate as to what that means in some more detail it would probably at least get us all out of wonderment and into understanding.

I pre ordered one as well and took the "slower" option in an attempt to avoid the evil empire that is UPS. Guess that idea failed miserably. :D

Really hope to hear from someone in the know about what, if any, options us nucks have.

I really dont want to pay another 200 bucks on this thing!

When i ordered linux distro they came through Canada post in the Bubble envelopes. I have ordered PDA case from proporta that were shipped from the UK come in a box through Canada post and i only paid GST on the case from proporta. They only thing that customs go by is how the item is registered when you send it, if you say it's a electronic device costing 300 then they charge accordingly.

darkm2222 said:
When i ordered linux distro they came through Canada post in the Bubble envelopes. I have ordered PDA case from proporta that were shipped from the UK come in a box through Canada post and i only paid GST on the case from proporta. They only thing that customs go by is how the item is registered when you send it, if you say it's a electronic device costing 300 then they charge accordingly.

Yes but if UPS touches it they have insane fees to bring things into the country for you.
I can deal with taxes but I dont see where I need to pay UPS 150 bucks (or whatever it ends up being) to bring it into the country for me. I got screwed once by them as it is. Live and learn. Seems like im about to get bent over for round 2 though. :)

Hi,
Just wanted to note that according to this site: www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost ... rance.html, it seems UPS itself won't charge you if you ponyed up for the UPS Express shipping. Well maybe, I don't really understand what there talking about at the bottom (at first glance it apears to be the fees they pay so they don't have to pay the fees??)

Feel free to tell me if my google search led me wrong.

fnu.lnu said:
Hi,
Just wanted to note that according to this site: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html, it seems UPS itself won't charge you if you joined up for the UPS Express shipping. Well maybe, I don't really understand what there talking about at the bottom (at first glance it appears to be the fees they pay so they don't have to pay the fees??)

Feel free to tell me if my google search led me wrong.
Wouldn't it be easier for Craig to dedicate a few hours to ship Canadian orders and specify a different shipping company like Canada Post, Purolator, etc...

@fnu.lnu. It would be funny as hell* if you upgraded and they make it mandatory to check and declare your item, and end up just as much or more. :(

*not the good kind of funny

I'm pretty sure we only have to pay border fees and no taxes, for example, I ordered a laptop that costed me 1000$ and paid 70$ of border fees.

So taking the same in consideration, the Pandora would cost anywhere between 20 to 30$. Only thing is, they might keep them into custody for verification, which is what they usually do for expensive electronic devices. We're talking up to a month retain but my laptop they actually retained it for a week.

It would be nice if Craig could address this issue. I am also from Canada and I was hoping that the units would be shipped by Craig to Canada and then distributed from within Canada for the Canadian customers.....

With the amount that UPS has charged in the past, I would be better off to get a standby flight over there and pick it up myself ! :eek:

D)

Let's make a petition to have shipping company changed for Canada, and email it to Craig.

I truly believe that all Canadian customers want a different delivery company than UPS.

This is exactly why I did not preorder.

When UPS ships to Canada they add "brokerage fees" that have nothing to do with duty and taxes. Unfortunately electronic devices are subject to duty (basically taxes) for any amount over $15. This is fine and usually unavoidable anyway...

The "brokerage fees" are a complete crock and can be hundreds of dollars. This is why most Canadians, at least the ones who have been burned before or know better, will never order anything outside the country shipped by UPS.

I will only order a Pandora when I know it is coming from a Canadian distributor. Sadly that leaves me out of the pre-order frenzy. I'm still paying off my last mail order item though so I had to wait anyway. <_<

I really hope someone is paying attention to these posts. Now that I know both options are still with UPS theres a good chance ill cancel my preorder if they dont give us another option. UPS and their crazy fees are just not an option. :(

smithfan said:
I really hope someone is paying attention to these posts. Now that I know both options are still with UPS theres a good chance ill cancel my preorder if they dont give us another option. UPS and their crazy fees are just not an option. :(
I will also cancel my order if we can't get something else than UPS. :(

I am not willing to pay almost double the price.
With that money I can buy temporarily a N800 and still have enough to buy a Pandora on the second batch from NCIX.

Hell, last friday I ordered the new iPod touch 32GB for $250 (price error) and if that comes I can wait until second batch of pandoras. :(

Please Craig (or anyone in power) don't mess it up now, and help us out so that we can have our Pandoras.

Yes, I agree we need some 'official' information. Shipping the Pandoras from within Canada makes the most sense, or at least with another carrier.

Like I said before, I assumed the 'special distribution' would handle this sort of issue. Would love to hear more about a clear solution.

When i ordered mine i choose the airsure option i searched google and i got this.

Royal Mail Airsure – Tracked fast, secure, international service
Airsure® can be up to one day faster than Airmail. Your item will receive priority handling at home and overseas, and benefits from an online tracking ...
www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId ... aId=400034 - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

Is this the way the pandora will be shipped?

Crono said:
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/home/courierfees/steps.html
Good info.

Still, if we can go without the headache and risk of paying at customs, that would really make my day.
Just taxes are 50$, but I guess that I can leave with that.

I run a company out of Canada ( www.pinwest.net ). I would be more than happy to handle the Canadian customers. I would accept all the Pandoras and then drop ship them within Canada. I have been around in the pinball community for almost 10 years and have a very good reputation on rec.games.pinball.

I will e-mail Craig

David Eisner

Back