Share your DESKTOP!

Me when I explain Linux to my Students:
"With complete desktop environments, we can see that Linux machines have a very modern-looking GUIs."

Also me, on machine using to show examples during the same course:
cluttered.png

This environment is called TDE and is a very outdated DE based on KDE3, I use this because I can customize it as I want and it does not eat RAM.
A quick tour:
- Konqueror: File manager. If you want to try it, try with TDE, not KDE, as in KDE half of options are missing and half is not working.
- XSpelling: My invention made in Perl, spell-checks clipboard and returns corrected result back to clipboard (is there such thing in normal programming languages?)
- Terminal with immortal Nano,
- Claws-Mail as mail client as always, HTML in e-mails disgusts me.
And this is running on 8-core i7 with 16GB of RAM because I got used to this appearance.

After boot, this is the wallpaper:
empty.png
It was there when I installed the desktop, so I left it.

Reactions: rSl
After the pis came out I pretty much stopped using a full desktop and only kept one for video editing. After having a daughter I almost never video edit so I'm down to an overclocked, overvolted pi4 with 4gb as a desktop and media server.

Works great with dual monitors and light de. Haven't had time to make a build like my earlier pi's so just the standard pi minimal image with some tweaks.

On the right is an hdmi switch for the main monitor, my hacked wii and a few other things well be hooked in.

Also the networking stuff hooked into a powerline adaptor since the concrete house doesn't propagate signal very well.

20200816_143235.jpg

Not pictured are my actual speakers and bass ($20 Logitech, no idea the model they work pretty well).

- XSpelling: My invention made in Perl, spell-checks clipboard and returns corrected result back to clipboard (is there such thing in normal programming languages?)
Languages (getclip setclip?) or do you mean editors?
as for languages, on linux xclip and aspell can just be combined to get the same.

desktop.jpg

My work desktop (yeah yeah I know windows...) It's two screens one is a bit smaller in pixelnumber than the other, and the images are a updating from a folder where I keep a collection of presentable images I made with a microscope. Here you see a midbody with tubulin stained in red left and focal adherence junctions right

Languages (getclip setclip?) or do you mean editors?
I meant made in e.g. C or C++ and Qt/GTK, and available to any program through clipboard or text file.
I made this thing because inconsistent or non-existing spell checking under Linux was troublesome so with this script I can write the text everywhere, then copy it to clipboard, lanuch the tool, correct and paste it back. I made it in Perl as I had it nearby and Perl works everywhere. GUI programs made in Perl are useful, but are no way so functional as these in conventional GUI frameworks like Qt, GTK or WxWidgets, for example with drag-and-drop - drag and drop does not work in Perl's GUI. When I initially made a Cardfile-like database there was so much Perl code for links and local objects, while in Qt it's just a few lines and a single sub-classing.

I meant made in e.g. C or C++ and Qt/GTK, and available to any program through clipboard or text file.
I made this thing because inconsistent or non-existing spell checking under Linux was troublesome so with this script I can write the text everywhere, then copy it to clipboard, lanuch the tool, correct and paste it back. I made it in Perl as I had it nearby and Perl works everywhere. GUI programs made in Perl are useful, but are no way so functional as these in conventional GUI frameworks like Qt, GTK or WxWidgets, for example with drag-and-drop - drag and drop does not work in Perl's GUI. When I initially made a Cardfile-like database there was so much Perl code for links and local objects, while in Qt it's just a few lines and a single sub-classing.
I use aspell to check my text files, but if you want to check your clipboard I'm not aware of any other option to yours.

For just quick check , " xclip -o | aspell -a" but it will not do auto-correction or copy back corrected spelling to clipboard like PCXT's version. However this may possible using some awk/sed magic and pipe back corrected spelling to clipboard using "xclip -i"

Back