Shadow Warrior: A Request

Robster posted on Oct 28 2005 at 02:24 AM said:
1) Print "Hello, world!" to the screen
2) Print "Hello, world!" to the screen 10 times
3) Print the numbers 1 to 10 on the screen
4) Print the number sequence 1, 4, 9, 16... 100 to the screen
... and on it goes. Use Linux or the Windows command line, because writing Windows programs will bog you down with windows and messages etc.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but if you don't know any programming at the moment, it'll be a while yet before you crank out that shiny new game for GP32 or GP2X :)
LOL funny you should say that, I'm learning C++ atm and thats almost exactly the set of examples i've had to write, I've done a few "Ask for 2 numbers, print all the numbers in the range" ones as well.

Just starting on Classes now and its quite a leap.

BTW I've been a professional coder in other languages on mainframe and minicomputers for nearly 20 years so I had to do a lot of pride bashing to force myself to go back to the basics, its been worth it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only taken 3 weeks to read 'C for Dummies' cover to cover.

And there were no chapters on Space invaders or Pac-Mac let alone Halo so I am trying to code a simple card game, more number crunching.

Whoever wrote that you can't learn from a book was half right, you can but it takes much longer, it took me a day to work out that a=a+1 wasn't a typo and a 'float' ???? was just a number with a decimal point in it but i've seen it described as a 'Real Number' and a 'number with a floating point' in different tutorials and guides, which weren't much help.

my favorite old program was:

10 PRINT "My name is Jislizard"
20 GOTO 10

now in C I have to write:

# include <stdio.h>

int main()

{

for( ; ;)

printf("My name is Jislizard");

return(0);
}

to get the same effect, I ask you, is that progress?

Anyone trying to write a guide better get ready for a whole load of emails asking for clarification on different points. Probably a few from me as well.

Just got to get hold of the C all-in-one-Desk-Reference now so i can carry on

There's a version of Rise of the Triad for the GP32 already. For the GP2X, I think it would really kickass...BASIC was meant mostly for simple hobbyists and easy applications that really did mindless jobs. Fun to play with, but it's got way too many limitations, and chugs the most slowly of all the programming languages, from what I understand. There ARE ways to compile BASIC, but it only boosts it's speed slightly and the limitations are still there.

synkro posted on Oct 28 2005 at 02:59 AM said:
reaper79 posted on Oct 27 2005 at 08:48 PM said:

Be asured, that's the kind of answer I would have given and the kind of answer we need here more often ...

Amen to that. The reason I replied the way I did is because of the title of this thread. Shadow Warrior: A REQUEST. I'm tired of people request that this or that be done without doing a little leg work yourself. If the thread had been, "Trying to learn SDL/ or port Shadow Warrior, but I've run into a couple problems." Then there would have been a different response all together.

So "noobs" calm down and learn to code before jumping on me after I recommend you do so after insinuating that someone else code something for you.

Winterkid posted on Oct 28 2005 at 11:13 AM said:
BASIC was meant mostly for simple hobbyists and easy applications that really did mindless jobs.
Sorry, don't mean to be offensive but that statement is just complete crap. Basic can be a very nice language if it's used right, and it has been used to create some very powerful and fast software (just look at skidmarks on the Amiga for one of the most famous examples).

woogal posted on Oct 28 2005 at 07:35 AM said:
Winterkid posted on Oct 28 2005 at 11:13 AM said:
BASIC was meant mostly for simple hobbyists and easy applications that really did mindless jobs.
Sorry, don't mean to be offensive but that statement is just complete crap. Basic can be a very nice language if it's used right, and it has been used to create some very powerful and fast software (just look at skidmarks on the Amiga for one of the most famous examples).

Actually, even though I'm a twat Woogal, I have to agree with this. I worked for a company called Governmental Systems and we/they programmed everything in GW Basic. They are only now just starting to switch over to VB with a hint at .net.

Trying to learn SDL/ or port Shadow Warrior, but I've run into a couple problems.

Yes, obviously I could have been trying to port shadow warrior, what with the GP2X not even out yet.

I mean goddamn man, it's not like I asked when halo would be playable on the GP2X >.>

fishybawb posted on Oct 28 2005 at 01:16 PM said:
Auritribe posted on Oct 28 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
Yes, obviously I could have been trying to port shadow warrior, what with the GP2X not even out yet.

Plenty of people have started porting stuff already :)

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Works_In_Progress

People who do not have the hardware? Last I checked, these were people who have the devkits. Unless someone has some sort of SDK for porting without said hardware, that comes with an emulator, I don't see how anyone expects me to do porting of code by pulling it out of my ass.

But I see how it'll be now. Right back to the RTFM days. So that's that.

SDL's cross platform, and will be what the 2x's SDK is based on. So if you code your game on Windows/Linux with the right screen resolution... Some tweaking as to controls and such will be needed on the actual hardware, but a big chunk of the work can be done beforehand.

fishybawb posted on Oct 28 2005 at 01:29 PM said:
SDL's cross platform, and will be what the 2x's SDK is based on. So if you code your game on Windows/Linux with the right screen resolution... Some tweaking as to controls and such will be needed on the actual hardware, but a big chunk of the work can be done beforehand.

I'm sure in can be. And I wish porting were as simple as a recompile because then I'd have just enough to be able to bring stuff over. Compiling is trivial though, and so I am useless.

Obviously I am completely useless in any regard here because I can not code. So I'm done.

fishybawb posted on Oct 28 2005 at 01:56 PM said:
:blink:

Sorry,

I'll just give these last statements, and I'll try not to be emo about the whole damn thing but here goes. It took me about 6 months to learn how to simply use linux effectively when I was using it for the first time. Any time I ever asked for help of any sort, I was told to 'RTFM' or called a 'noob' or other bullshit. I had bought books, I had read man pages, many times I still didn't get the information I needed. Eventually someone took to helping me out, giving me the information I needed to understand how it worked.

Many people still learn this way, and even then a percentage of them seem to get off on calling other people noobs and treating them like shit. They seem to love the fact they know something the other person does not. They pass this off as 'well that person was annoying they shouldn't be asking for help, I had to learn the hard way so why can't they!' the problem is many of these people DIDN'T learn the hard way. They took classes, or they had someone who could ease them into it as well.

To this day, sometimes I still go to linux IRC channels and help out if I can, provided the person genuinely needs the help and is asking a reasonable question. I consider it paying the favor forward.

Granted, there are those who can and do teach themselves everything they need to know. I actually have met one of these people, he's not a prick at all, he's one of the nicest guys I know. He's also one of the most intelligent, having gotten a perfect score on his SAT in his Junior year of high school.

It seems no matter where I go I can't seem to avoid people that get off on elevating themselves above me by putting me down. I'm sure reaper is an excellent coder, and I respect that, I find learning to code to be very difficult. But I have great doubt that he learned how to do everything he did by reading those free sites he linked me to. So on the other hand, he's a fucking hypocrite.

I know I'm probably speaking to deaf ears here, but I find it troubling that politely asking about the feasibility of a project, and bringing attention to another possible port is seen as a mortal sin here. I thought I would bring attention to a game that is now open source that might have been overlooked. I perfectly understand trying to cut the bullshit, that I may be wasting someones time. I think that people who ignorantly post that they'd like to see this or that on the system, without doing ANY research whatsoever, is wasting time. I have done what research I can without doing a year long learning project to do it myself. I know the specs of the unit, I know that the project I propose is already open source, and I just wanted to discuss whether it was possible.

I apologize I'm not good enough for the rest of you.

I understand where you're coming from Auritribe, but you really have to ignore some people on message boards, just like in real life. They think insulting people on the Internet is fun because it offers anonymity, plus the target of their abuse can't knock all of their teeth out :D
Anyway, I didn't see anything wrong with your question, and there are plenty of people here who are capable of answering sensibly, sans asshattery. Coding questions? Ask away!

fishybawb posted on Oct 28 2005 at 03:38 PM said:
I understand where you're coming from Auritribe, but you really have to ignore some people on message boards, just like in real life. They think insulting people on the Internet is fun because it offers anonymity, plus the target of their abuse can't knock all of their teeth out :D
Anyway, I didn't see anything wrong with your question, and there are plenty of people here who are capable of answering sensibly, sans asshattery. Coding questions? Ask away!

Man, if I knew where to start when it came to asking questions. I think honestly I'll have to at least get through Computer Science I and II before I even START asking questions about programming, really. I think that's my only way, I just need to work the time and get the money to go to those classes.

DijiTao posted on Oct 28 2005 at 03:24 PM said:
This was why I started this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=21436

The amount of asshaterry that gets thrown around here by people that can’t seem to distinguish between the starter of this thread, and the starter of this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=21549 is amazing.

Thank you. I guess this will be a constant debate for ages to come, and there's not much any of us can do about it anyway. :)

Sorry if I got out of line.

Auritribe posted on Oct 28 2005 at 04:00 PM said:
Man, if I knew where to start when it came to asking questions. I think honestly I'll have to at least get through Computer Science I and II before I even START asking questions about programming, really. I think that's my only way, I just need to work the time and get the money to go to those classes.

Some of the best programmers I know are largely self taught, but I guess that's not really the best way for some people to learn. A structured environment (with a good teacher) could be a better start for you seeing as you've tried books/tutorials - some people just learn better that way. If you've got any questions you think might be too "basic" for some people to consider answering, PM them to me and I'll do my best to help out :)

Auritribe posted on Oct 28 2005 at 09:41 AM said:
fishybawb posted on Oct 28 2005 at 01:56 PM said:
:blink:
It seems no matter where I go I can't seem to avoid people that get off on elevating themselves above me by putting me down. I'm sure reaper is an excellent coder, and I respect that, I find learning to code to be very difficult. But I have great doubt that he learned how to do everything he did by reading those free sites he linked me to. So on the other hand, he's a fucking hypocrite.

No no, I'm not a hypocrite. I did learn a great deal of programming on my own and through books while still in High School, but I definetely learned a lot more indepth stuff when I went through college. I am by no means insinuating that self-learning is the be all end all of knowledge. My wife is a teacher and I understand that there are different "types" of learning, from what she has explained to me. I originally found code difficult to learn as well, and while I do it for a living, there are those with the proper mental faculties that make much better coders than myself. All be the first to admit, I no longer like programming, but it is okay for a job. ;)

I also don't see how I'm elevating myself above you, or how I "put you down". My only advice, although it may have been harsh and I apologize for that, was to learn some coding yourself. I don't want to generalize, but many do consider it a "mortal sin" for people to ask for things to be programmed. IMO, if you can learn linux, you can program. I think linux is harder, especially after you have used Windows for 13 years.

Back