GP2X No Roguelikes On Gp2x? Shadow Warrior Etc.

trainchaser

Still Fresh
I was wondering why ToME (www.tome.net) or other roguelikes (I know Nethack was being planned) isn't ported to GP2X while there are ports of a couple roguelike games to PSP. I personally would love a good port of ADOM, but it's closed source (one of the greatest games I ever played). I can't code myself, though I've started to learn Python ;) I would also like to see Shadow Warrior (the same engine as Duke Nukem3d) ported. Another game that is in my top5 of possible GP2x ports is Ufo (X-com): Enemy Unknown - but I'll have to wait for the Amiga emu speedup.

I'm Polish, currently in the UK. I'm going to buy GP2X soon, but GP2X.co.uk doesn't accept my Visa Electron card, and I don't know anything about postal orders / checques in the UK yet so I'll have to wait.

Sorry for discussing so many things in one topic but I have problems with my Wi-Fi connection - actually, it works only in the kitchen :) and I had to be quick :D

PS. I saw that my thread name could be confusing but I can't edit it ;/

I was wondering why ToME (www.tome.net) or other roguelikes (I know Nethack was being planned) isn't ported to GP2X while there are ports of a couple roguelike games to PSP. I personally would love a good port of ADOM, but it's closed source (one of the greatest games I ever played). I can't code myself, though I've started to learn Python ;) I would also like to see Shadow Warrior (the same engine as Duke Nukem3d) ported. Another game that is in my top5 of possible GP2x ports is Ufo (X-com): Enemy Unknown - but I'll have to wait for the Amiga emu speedup.

I'm Polish, currently in the UK. I'm going to buy GP2X soon, but GP2X.co.uk doesn't accept my Visa Electron card, and I don't know anything about postal orders / checques in the UK yet so I'll have to wait.

Sorry for discussing so many things in one topic but I have problems with my Wi-Fi connection - actually, it works only in the kitchen :) and I had to be quick :D

The Nethack port is playable now, though a few features are still missing. I'll have a new release pretty soon that has a few more added features. Search for 'Nethack' and read the last couple pages of the thread if you want to give it a try. It's not really a "public" release yet so you won't find it on the archive sites.

Last edited by a moderator:

We have nethack (with tile based graphics) Ported by DZZ already. As you have already discovered, an early beta Shadow Warrior interpreter has been released as well.
*Edit to remove my saying 'check the DL section' since DZZ says its not on there yet ;)*

Thanks for your quick replies guys.
I don't play Nethack really, cause I love ADOM. But since ADOM is closed source it will be cool to have at least one roguelike on GP2X (I will wait for a public release).

As for Shadow Warrior - I'll wait for a version with sound :)

The GP2X scene is small but very creative, I hope I will be able to play UFO, Blood and more great games someday (The saddest thing is the DOS emulation - lack of - so many terrific games/gems lost). Retro just rocks!

PS. I was considering buying PSP, but since I'm a Linux/free software supporter that loves retro gaming - GP2X is the choice, especially with such great community (reminds me of Ubuntu community).

Peace. :)

Hehe yeah, it's alot like the ubuntu community. Very dedicated to keep everything open for everyone...
Download nethack and check it out. You will hopefully be positively surprised as it's really quite a nice conversion if not one of the best I have seen. Also next time you post something like this, consider posting it in the "cool ideas and wishes" section first, since that's where requests for game ports and game port discussion usually go. And without wanting to be an asshole: Please use the search button! You could have found the nethack port with one easy quick search... welcome to the community btw.

I'm a board administrator myself, and I understand why you're writing this, but I really had like a couple of minutes to write a couple of posts. I'm writing them offline, then putting the laptop near the hotspot , sending and leaving again ;)

I'm certain more roguelikes will start springing up in time. Remember, the "big release" of the GP2X was only last month, so the user base (inc. devs) will increase substantially now!

And I have to say, the GP2X has some of the *best* homebrew devs in the world working on it!

whats so good about nethack??

never played it but by the screencaps doesnt look very impressive ( i dont mean quality of graphics)

What is it? A geometry puzzle type game?

never played it but by the screencaps doesnt look very impressive ( i dont mean quality of graphics)

It's something between an turn-based rpg and an adventure game. It's getting developed since 1987, and it's all free.
Go read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nethack

I'd suggest you to download the game and a gui for it since playing just with letters is hard if you're just beginning.

Cheers, Dave

Edit: An example for the complexity and all the different things you can do/interact with:
The cockatrice: a typical example of a complex NetHack monster. Its touch can turn you to stone, so attacking it with your bare hands is not recommended. If you kill one and it leaves a corpse, you could wield it as a weapon, and turn other monsters to stone—but you'd better be wearing gloves. Furthermore, if your character is female, and you are polymorphed into a cockatrice, you can lay cockatrice eggs—which have several interesting applications. Again, "the DevTeam thinks of everything." One of the most commonly cited (and most amusing) stupid ways to die is to wield a cockatrice corpse while burdened, then fall down a staircase and land on one's own cockatrice corpse. In a compiled list of every possible way of getting killed by a cockatrice, the most unlikely is to, when immune to petrification, repeatedly toss a cockatrice corpse into the air and have it land on your head until you die.

It's a turn-based "RPG". You get a character, you explore a dungeon, killing monsters, gathering treasure and items. It is somewhat primitive in some ways compared to some other similar games (graphics not too great, much of the dungeons have no real logic to them). On the good side, there are a lot of different monsters and items, a number of nifty special dungeon areas, lots of detail that you won't notice until you play a lot, and the randomized nature of the game makes its replay value good. Many people have played it for years without ever "finishing" it.

It's something between an turn-based rpg and an adventure game. It's getting developed since 1987, and it's all free.
Go read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nethack

I'd suggest you to download the game and a gui for it since playing just with letters is hard if you're just beginning.

Cheers, Dave

I beg to differ, I honestly worked out how to play Nethack when I was 6 years old. And I still haven't managed to ascend (win the game) with the sucker. :)

Allan.

Back