Shadow Warrior: A Request

I think linux is harder

When I first ground my teeth into redhat 5.1, and then Slackware, I found it to be a walk in the park compared to the head bashing sessions I had with C tutorials. I believe there are many more programmers than Linux users in the world, therefore I'm sure programming is more accessible once I know the right route.

I'm sure with that analogy in mind, you can see why I get so frustrated with programming.

I understand why you consider it a mortal sin to ask someone to program for you, I can see where you're coming from because of many posts of people demanding this emulator or that emulator. In that case I should have rephrased my post. I simply wanted to know if it was feasible yet, and I discovered later on its still less feasible than Duke3D because the code hasn't been ported to SDL yet, I dont think at least. Jonofs port does look rather nice though.

Anyway, if you were self taught completely, then I take back the hypocrite remark, but I do know there are many people out there who learned things the 'easy' way, and didn't pay the favor forward, instead resorting to elitism.

Auritribe posted on Oct 28 2005 at 12:05 PM said:
I think linux is harder
Anyway, if you were self taught completely, then I take back the hypocrite remark, but I do know there are many people out there who learned things the 'easy' way, and didn't pay the favor forward, instead resorting to elitism.

Agreed, "didn't pay the favor forward, instead resorting to elitism.", nice quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
reaper79 posted on Oct 28 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
Auritribe posted on Oct 28 2005 at 12:05 PM said:
I think linux is harder

Agreed, "didn't pay the favor forward, instead resorting to elitism.", nice quote.

??? I don't understand..

Not so releveant to learning c/c++, but there are some good books here for learning unix / linux. I mostly use it for the books on perl and java though.

Check it out anyway if you get a chance.

http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/

Also, if anyone is interested in either of the following books, I have the HTML versions somewhere on my PC. Happy to upload somewhere. They won't teach you C++ but once you know the basics they are an invaluable reference in C++ good practice, tips and tricks (especially in terms of optimisation, minimisation of errors, what happens in the background) etc. They are also great for going for C++ jobs, whenever I have been quizzed about C++, most of the questions are answered in one of these 2 books.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Cheers

Martin

@auritribe - Programming is an odd thing, some people take to it immediately, while others have to work extremely hard to make any headway at it.

I can see why reaper sent you links to tutorial sites, they are commonly used by many to learn to program - by those who take to it easily.

It sounds to me like you need a structured learning environment, possibly a local college. A good hard copy book on introductory C/C++(Teach Yourself C in 21 Days, or C for Dummies) at your side while you are programming doesn't hurt either.

By the way, the C for Dummies was NOT a slight, those books adorn my bookshelf as well.

martin_F posted on Oct 28 2005 at 10:29 PM said:
Also, if anyone is interested in either of the following books, I have the HTML versions somewhere on my PC. Happy to upload somewhere.

I'm interested :)

judge0 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:22 AM said:
By the way, the C for Dummies was NOT a slight, those books adorn my bookshelf as well.

Gotta agree with you there. I have a few XX for Dummies books, on programming languages. I find them to be a great learning resource. Way better than ahem, accidently buying a reference manual and then attempting to learn from it (nigh on impossible most of the time).

Oh and, fishybawb, I will try and sort that out today.

Martin

martin_F posted on Oct 28 2005 at 11:29 PM said:
Also, if anyone is interested in either of the following books, I have the HTML versions somewhere on my PC. Happy to upload somewhere.
I can give them some webspace if you like.

BTW does everyone know that Programming Linux Games by John R. Hall and Loki Software (apparently the best SDL reference) is freely available?

I have the PDF and the .tex files if anyone wants them. (You really only need the PDF, the TEX archive is 10MB)

Since I'm too lazy to track it down, please post this Linux Games book.

Also, I believe this may have been referenced a few weeks back, but I'll ask again: state of Java support on the GP2X? Considering the size of the JRE I'd doubt it, but I ask only because Java is the only modern language I have actual expereince with. I understand migration to C shouldn't melt my brain, but working in what I'm familiar with is naturally nice...

EDIT: Cancel that. Found it on your blog. Thanks.

Empyre posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:52 AM said:
martin_F posted on Oct 28 2005 at 11:29 PM said:
I can give them some webspace if you like.

BTW does everyone know that Programming Linux Games by John R. Hall and Loki Software (apparently the best SDL reference) is freely available?

I have the PDF and the .tex files if anyone wants them. (You really only need the PDF, the TEX archive is 10MB)

Just PM'd you. I have found the files, and rar'd them up ready. Just need to figure out how to get them to you (4.6MB).

I shall have to have a read of that Linux games book aswell, prep myself for some coding. Looking forward to it.

Martin

martin_F posted on Oct 29 2005 at 04:29 AM said:
Just PM'd you. I have found the files, and rar'd them up ready. Just need to figure out how to get them to you (4.6MB).
You have mail

Edit: This is now available from my blog page. Thanks Martin

Robster posted on Oct 27 2005 at 09:24 PM said:
Alex. posted on Oct 28 2005 at 12:12 PM said:
Do make that post! I'm very interested myself, especially in programming with SDL for the GP32.
When I see people saying stuff like "I want to program in SDL for GP32", I sort of despair for the person saying it. It's like saying "I want to run 100m in 10 seconds" when you've only just figured out what legs are :)

Believe me, you need to learn C, in a nice comfortable environment like Dev-C++ or something, and do some really, really simple stuff to get your confidence up. Taking on challenges is all very well, but trying to learn programming, a new language, and a new platform all at once is too much. It will lead to frustration and you will just give up.

Now I am not joking here: you need to do stuff that may seem ridiculously trivial, and not skip any of it, and make sure that you fully understand at each stage what it is that you are actually doing. Any of the beginner program sites will give you a list of things you might do, but here's some examples:

1) Print "Hello, world!" to the screen
2) Print "Hello, world!" to the screen 10 times
3) Print the numbers 1 to 10 on the screen
4) Print the number sequence 1, 4, 9, 16... 100 to the screen
... and on it goes. Use Linux or the Windows command line, because writing Windows programs will bog you down with windows and messages etc.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but if you don't know any programming at the moment, it'll be a while yet before you crank out that shiny new game for GP32 or GP2X :)
I started programming for fun a couple of years ago. First with TI-BASIC, then HTML, CSS, then PHP & MySQL, then C, and now Fenix. I don't realize what is so bad about "I'm very interested myself, especially in programming with SDL for the GP32."

Back