Several Questions

lnx64

I was thinking of getting this console for a while. I have a Wiz now, but the bigger screen, and analog stick is good for some games.

Here's my many questions.

1. Is the sound of MP3's better? The Wiz was not that good and has a slight muffled sound, like treble was lacking, along with some of the bass.

2. A LOT of handhelds like this have LCD controllers that are seemingly incapable of handling 60fps, and/or have a "diagonal" tearing issue. The Wiz is capable of showing 60fps without tearing, but only Picodrive seems to handle it. Other things like the Dingoo and those modern Sega Genesis Handhelds (Gopher, Retrogen) all seem to only handle a max of 40fps when checked with a special high speed camera, whereas those consoles are able to render the frames cause on a TV it's full 60fps with no glitches.

3. Is it heavy? I hate light handhelds. I know it's odd, but I like them heavy, makes them feel less cheap.

4. TV out. Is the TV out 480i or can it do 240p for the old games? 240p output looks much better for the games that were in 240p, as a 480i output with a 240p upscaled image is terrible.

2) Works at 60FPS fine.
3) It's light enough to not weight down your hands, but also is sturdy and weighty enough for you not to forget you have it in your pocket or anything.

SolarLune said:
2) Works at 60FPS fine.
3) It's light enough to not weight down your hands, but also is sturdy and weighty enough for you not to forget you have it in your pocket or anything.
Ok good. What about the LCD orientation? This one is the break or make situation.

Is the LCD really a portrait screen tilted landscape? If so, that causes eye aches with me, which was a problem I had with the Dingoo.. The WIZ never bothered me that it was because it was OLED and doesn't have a polarizer.

If the LCD is really a landscape screen, then I'm sold, but just have to save up.

Last edited by a moderator:
lnx64 said:
Ok good. What about the LCD orientation? This one is the break or make situation.

It is indeed 320x240 landscape.

Nice, I'm sold. I do hate the analog control but I can live with that..

Ordered.. Just used paypal money i had there to order it (partially tax refund money intending for savings). I'll just pay it back..

Ordered the white model, and purchased a TV cable to go with it.

Have one more question, despite having already just ordered one yesterday.

I can still use it as a USB SD card reader like I could with the Wiz, right?

Great, this makes my life complete :p

I can use my Caanoo in my car then to read my music library.

The Caanoo uses a Wolfson audio chip so you know you are getting quality sound, Too bad the the Caanoo music interface is basic both the Caanoo and Wiz could use a equalizer function.

Well right now I just want the package.. Tell me this UPS tracking doesn't look odd.. It went from HK to US back to HK then back to US a couple times, then it made it to the truck, somehow lost and not delivered, then it's being rescheduled.. I'm confused..

Mar 09, 2011 19:24:00 US ALTAMONTE SPRINGS UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED
Mar 09, 2011 15:10:00 US ALTAMONTE SPRINGS THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE UPS FACILITY, UPS WILL DELIVER ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY
Mar 09, 2011 08:47:00 US ALTAMONTE SPRINGS OUT FOR DELIVERY
Mar 09, 2011 07:40:00 US ALTAMONTE SPRINGS ARRIVAL SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 06:50:00 US ORLANDO DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 06:10:00 US ORLANDO UNLOAD SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 06:08:00 US ORLANDO ARRIVAL SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 04:15:00 US LOUISVILLE DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 02:58:00 US LOUISVILLE LOCATION SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 02:53:00 US LOUISVILLE IMPORT SCAN
Mar 09, 2011 01:18:00 US LOUISVILLE ARRIVAL SCAN
Mar 08, 2011 17:32:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 08, 2011 14:47:00 US ANCHORAGE DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 08, 2011 14:44:00 HK KWAI CHUNG DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 08, 2011 09:38:00 US ANCHORAGE ARRIVAL SCAN
Mar 07, 2011 19:36:00 HK KWAI CHUNG ORIGIN SCAN
Mar 07, 2011 18:45:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN
Mar 07, 2011 03:58:27 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

That looks... odd... I don't know, I hope you get your package fine, or at least a full refund.

I ordered it from Play Asia. It'd be nice if they actually gave you a tracking number and not their UPS tracking page, that way I could actually GO to the sorting facility and grab it.

If I had that number then I could get a trace, but without it then I'm screwed.

Correct, no attempt was made to deliver yesterday because they "forgot" to put it on the truck. So I lost a day of work to wait for a package, and I can't miss this day, so they better deliver before I leave in 3 hours. Otherwise now that I managed to get the tracking number, I will personally go to the sorting center and get that package and not leave till it's in my hand.

It arrived.

Works great, though it seems a little tough to move the stick right. Other directions are easy.

Here's the big thing, the LCD can update at 60fps as I've seen in Quake, but in PicoDrive, it's NOT running silk smooth.. It's emulating at 60fps but the LCD is showing something more like 50 or something..

lnx64 said:
It arrived.

Works great, though it seems a little tough to move the stick right. Other directions are easy.

Here's the big thing, the LCD can update at 60fps as I've seen in Quake, but in PicoDrive, it's NOT running silk smooth.. It's emulating at 60fps but the LCD is showing something more like 50 or something..

Wow you have very sensitive eyes to even see the difference. I would never notice a difference of 10 fps in any game.

The analogue stick will most likely loosen up after a few days of playing. Mine was kinda stiff in certain directions when I first got it but now it moves around really nice. I guess it just takes a little time to "break it in".

Darkknight512 said:
lnx64 said:
It arrived.

Wow you have very sensitive eyes to even see the difference. I would never notice a difference of 10 fps in any game.
I'm just a freak like that. ;) Seriously though, I do see the difference.. 70fps is my maximum tops my eyes and brain are able to tell the difference. I usually only can see them in 5fps differences though, not 1fps incremental.

Back