How to play music/sound in SCUMM?

Nutzo

I have my Monkey Island etc. monkey.000 and monkey.001 files loaded on my SMC. I can play the game, but so far no matter what sound settings I try I get no music or sound. I put the volume bars up etc.

Do I need to add more files from my original game CD's? Which ones?

I have Monkey Island 1 & 2, and Sam And Max.

I maybe should mention I'm using the 133Mhz version since I don't trust running my Gp32 at anything higher than that. But should still have sound right?

Thanks.

Weird - I get sound/music in Monkey Island 2, but not the other games?!

Why? These are from my original store CDs.

FYI it is 132MhZ (I think), but that dosen't matter :) Are you sure that you just want the music and sound effects, not the speech, because the speech is in a diffrent file that is too big to put on the SMC. See if the demo of the thing works, because it just might be that the full version has diffrent sound files??

I have my Monkey Island etc. monkey.000 and monkey.001 files loaded on my SMC. I can play the game, but so far no matter what sound settings I try I get no music or sound. I put the volume bars up etc.

Do I need to add more files from my original game CD's? Which ones?
AFAIK, Monkey Island I doesn't have sound support under ScummVM. However, for the others, you should be sure to also copy over the MONSTER.SOU (I think.. or something similar) in order to get sounds. Though again, I'm not sure if this works the same way for the CD version of the game (I have the floppy versions of Sam & Max and DOTD - works like a charm)

Last edited by a moderator:
As it has been said above, you need the monster.sou file - But in the case of the CD game, it is too large as the file contains speech also (Unless you have the non-speech versions of the game!)

I bought the CD version of Sam n Max and DOTT on one CD, and cannot use the .sou file for either game. I found, using Kazaa light, the non-speech versions of the game and used the sound file from both of the non-speech downloads, but the games won't work properly - I think it has something to do with knowing when the speech is finished, then the text carries on... So as soon as someone "talks" it just sits there, as there is no end to the speech as the .sou file is different... So I had to use the full non-speech files of both games (i.e. .000 and .001)... Yes, this is dodgy as they are not what I bought, but you cannot buy (As far as I have seen) the music-only versions of the game. I justify myself with the fact that I have the CD of both games.

Back