Set To Compile A Working Version Of Daphne Emu

idarwin said:
Edit: I've downloaded and tried the usbnet posted in the forum, and run it... the screen flashes and goes back to the menu.
So thee network is ready on the caanoo sside, you just need to do the PC side described in the readme ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
idarwin said:
Edit: I've downloaded and tried the usbnet posted in the forum, and run it... the screen flashes and goes back to the menu.
So thee network is ready on the caanoo sside, you just need to do the PC side described in the readme ;)

Got it... I was using the wrong version of USBNET. I've just finished making it work... I'll keep you guys posted when I get some debuggin done.

E.-

idarwin said:
sebt3 said:
idarwin said:

Got it... I was using the wrong version of USBNET. I've just finished making it work... I'll keep you guys posted when I get some debuggin done.

E.-

to get some real debugging information into your binary add "-g" to the compiler switches.

crow_riot said:
to get some real debugging information into your binary add "-g" to the compiler switches.
And copy the gdb from your toolchain on yourr SDcard ;)

Hello guys :)

Good news after debuging (I think); seems like this daphne version is command line. The gdb I ran on the Caanoo (compiled with -g) gave us this message:

To run DAPHNE, you must specify which game to run and which laserdisc player you are using.
For example, try 'daphne lair noldp' to run Dragon's Lair in testing mode.

here is the complete message:

ls: /proc/kcore: No such file or directory
--CPU : UnknownCPU 0 MHz || Mem : 0 megs
--OpenGL: Not Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: C
--Line Blending Function: C
--Audio Mixing Function: C
ERROR: Unknown game type specified : /mnt/sd/game/daphne/daphne2x
Cannot write to '/root/.daphne/daphne_log.txt', do you have write permissions?
Bad command line or initialization problem (see daphne_log.txt for details).
To run DAPHNE, you must specify which game to run and which laserdisc player you are using.
For example, try 'daphne lair noldp' to run Dragon's Lair in testing mode.

Program exited with code 01.

So, what do you think we should do now? I thought this had some kind of interface... do we need to writer an interface for it? I don't have any games to try this but I guess if I had the it might work!!!

E.-

Edit: I guess we might pass the game name as a parameter on the ini file and have one menu entry for each Daphne game... Am I right? Anyway... we need some mpegs for testing purposes....

Edit2: I managed to get the mpeg files we need (of course I paid for them). I'll be back in a while and tell you if this works or not.

idarwin said:
dont worry much about this one

idarwin said:
export HOME=$(owd)
in the launch script should remove these.

For the rest, I would recommand you to take contact with mcobit (PM, or irc freenodes#openpandora) and read the pandora port threads.

idarwin said:
Edit2: I managed to get the mpeg files we need (of course I paid for them). I'll be back in a while and tell you if this works or not.

as in sebt3 already mentioned, i recommend to read the openpandora thread; people needed to transcode their mpegs to get fluent gaming, so you might to do that, too.

Allright guys; sorry I wasn't able to do much becouse finally I don't have the mpegs (I though I did). I talked with mcobit and gave me some ideas for the frontend; and as Orion recommended I'll look at pickle launcher as well and see what's best.

Until I don't at least a game working it does no make any sense to work with the interface at all. We need to see if this baby runs or not... and if it does; we have to evaluate if any performance mods. are required.

Help getting the mpegs would be appretiated.

Thx.

E.-

Hi! Yes... I'm "buying" my Dragon's Lair DVD in order to debug this thing; until then I can't do much more. The "buying" process is taking longer than I expected.

I'll keep you guys posted when I have something.

E.-

I´d really love to see this one working. GP World and Firefox arcades ate several of my coins back then. I own the Wii version of Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger pack, which contains 1:1 remakes of Mad Dog 1+2 and the last bounty hunter.
@idarwin Did you already check "dragons lair project"? There is some information and more.

Hello guys :D

So finally I've been able to install the Dragon's Lair 2 files on the Caanoo and give it a try.

I used the Windows Daphne version to convert the video files and get the resources you need to get it working (validation with original DVD). I copied all the files (videos, sound files, roms, framefile and stuff to the respective dirs) and ran it using ssh. Gladly for me I saw the first clues that the thing almost works. I copy some errors it gave; I'll be checking mcbit posts more detail now, and the Dragon's Lair Project as the last dude (thx) said. Also I'll search google a while for answers... of course your help is always welcomed.

Before I copy the errors I want to remark some things that came to my attention:

1. I had to force 320x240 or it would throw a seg fault (guess its becouse the Caanoo's max res. is exceeded), seems that Daphne only recognizes 640x480 as the smallest res.
2. Sound driver not found... odd... I'll check the compilation process and stuff.
3. On the screen of the Caanoo throws a message that I cannot read completly becouse there is an image over the text. It says something about resizing videos and take a while. Not sure though.
4. The last error about the vldp takes a while in order to show and the Caanoo hangs.

Finally... the dump:

root@wiz:/mnt/sd/game/daphne# ./daphne2x lair2 vldp -framefile vldp_dl/lair2/dl2-framefile.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -h
omedir . -sound_buffer 2048 -x 320 -y 240
--DAPHNE version 1.0.7
--Command line is: ./daphne2x lair2 vldp -framefile vldp_dl/lair2/dl2-framefile.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir . -sound_buffer 2048 -x 320 -y 240
--CPU : UnknownCPU 0 MHz || Mem : 0 megs
--OpenGL: Not Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: C
--Line Blending Function: C
--Audio Mixing Function: C
Setting alternate home dir:
Setting sound buffer size to 2048
Setting screen width to 320
Setting screen height to 240
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen
WARNING : You have specified an abnormal screen resolution! Normal screen resolutions are:
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 960
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200

Set 320x240 at 24 bpp with flags: 80000021
Initializing sound system ...
WARNING: Audio device could not be opened: No available audio device
Joystick #0 was successfully opened
Loading compressed ROM image dl2_319.bin...65536 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: vldp_dl/lair2/./
VLDP940: libmpeg940.bin could not be loaded

Best

E.-

Edit: I ran it using GDB and the audio initialized OK... daphne hung the same way... no errors. It keeps saying something about resizing videos.

i think you need to transcode your videos down to 320x240 (or 320xaspect)?

It also looks like it's trying to use a screen depth of 24 bpp, but the caanoo has a 16-bit display.

crow_riot said:
i think you need to transcode your videos down to 320x240 (or 320xaspect)?

Ok,

I've resized the m2v files using ffmpeg to 320 x 240 which is within aspect ratio and updated the files on the Caanoo. I was not able to figure out how to downgrade the video from 24bps to 16bps... googled a lot without much luck and also seems to be no parameter to tell daphne to force a lower video depth (or something).

The app now says parsing video files... don't know why couse I parsed them on Daphne (under Wine) automagically when Dap starts.

E.-

Maybe some of the guys from the Pandora Daphne thread might have some suggestions?

idarwin said:
Ok,

I've resized the m2v files using ffmpeg to 320 x 240 which is within aspect ratio and updated the files on the Caanoo. I was not able to figure out how to downgrade the video from 24bps to 16bps... googled a lot without much luck and also seems to be no parameter to tell daphne to force a lower video depth (or something).

The app now says parsing video files... don't know why couse I parsed them on Daphne (under Wine) automagically when Dap starts.

E.-

kayuz said:
news idarwin? ;)

Hi!

Sorry, I've been very busy at work and also I'm moving to a new home so things have been difficult. Also I'm waiting for my ISP to install the service at the new place.

I've identified with the help of mcbit that the problem is a library that the original Daphne Dude wrote for the Gp2x second CPU, that the Caanoo does not have. So I have to somehow invent a new Makefile that builds some kindda standard thing and see if it runs on the Caanoo.

So far I've tried and I have some problems compiling the libmpeg with the linux (std) Makefile. I believe that when we get over that... the emu will be functional on Caanoo. I'll see if I can paste the compile log later today or maybe tomorrow.

Best

E.-

Ok guys, here I am again; back on the thing.

I'm getting this error compiling the libmpeg2 library:

/opt/toolchain-caanoo/bin/arm-gph-linux-gnueabi-cc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer `sdl-config --cflags` -I./include -c libmpeg2/cpu_accel.c -o libmpeg2/cpu_accel.o
libmpeg2/cpu_accel.c: In function 'mpeg2_detect_accel':
libmpeg2/cpu_accel.c:79: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
libmpeg2/cpu_accel.c:85: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
libmpeg2/cpu_accel.c:93: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
libmpeg2/cpu_accel.c:97: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
make: *** [libmpeg2/cpu_accel.o] Error 1

Remember we have to use a generic makefile becouse the one that was for the gp2x handled a second cpu that the Caanoo does not have. I've tried several stuff withing the makefile with no luck. There is a parameter called -marc that passes a i686 parameter; when I set it gives a result saying invalid value for arch flag. Now I've tried passing arm, or arm-linux-gnu with no luck; maybe someone can give me an advice.

Best.

E.-

Back