GP2X Serial Cable Transfer Speed

Could this be the first 2X post to go to the LOL files?

Please?

DijiTao posted on Dec 22 2005 at 12:30 AM said:
Wow you live in an dream world. Slowing the ARM cpu down for GBA emulation is ONE of the hard things, not the only. The processor core that contains the MMU will need to be the one that's executing the GBA code natively, that means the rest of your emulator is going to have to run off the core that lacks an MMU, that's kinda a challenge.

Look at it this way – UltraHLE was damn fine emulator correct? It's efficiency is legendary. Swiftshader (http://www.transgaming.com/swiftshader.php) is the worlds fastest DX software render. So dig up a 300Mhz PC, slap a 2d graphics card in it, and run UltraHLE using swift shader and a glide wrapper – hell use a 400Mhz PC. I'll bet you no way, no how is the end result running at a playable speed. This combination represents the best possible software render, and what we all should agree is an amazing N64 emulator, all running on hardware significantly more powerful then the GP2X.

It's not going to happen.

Put Corn v0.3 on a 180 MHz Pentium and try running OoT or Mario64, and watch the PLAYABLE SPEED GLORY!

ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connect 2xAA's to a 180Mhz Pentium and watch it melt them in a few seconds....

Ha (2) :p

A Pentium 166 is *much* faster than the GP2X @ 200Mhz, and draws significantly more power as a result. A mobile embedded Pentium will draw less, but your comparing with desktop machines.

Squidge, I realize that, but I was proving that it could go much less than 400 MHz desktop PC, like dijiTao said.

But also, Squidge, shouldn't 2 ARMs at 200 MHz be about the power of the Pentium 166?

Not without 3d hardware. Don't you understand how hard it is to emulate 3d hardware?!??!

I can't get corn to work on my pc -- if I could I would down-clock and run with software render just to make a damn point... That point being of course that N64 emulation isn't going to happen at 300Mhz unless you have hardware 3d.

Back