Sega32x On Dr.megadrive?

man -- i will be the 1st one to go to bat for the genesis, I was super-excited when I was a kid and it first came out, miles ahead of the competition at the time (NES) and definitely much stronger than the turbografx/pce -- but when they pt otu the sega CD unit, it was just the beginning of the half-assedness of the next generation of Sega... all it was, was a gimmick to try and detract people's attention away from the SNES, but ocmpare the two systems. SNES audiovisual capabilities absolutely blew away everything that was ever put out on the Sega CD. It just looked like alittle better genesis, except the games weren't even as fun cause half of them were just "make your own music video" bullshit or other FMV shit, or enhanced cartridge games with OOOOO extended cutscenes.

whn people reminisce about the system, the only game that comes up is Night Trap (yay dana plato!) which wasn't even playable or enjoyable anyway. Okay you had sonic CD but honestly, after sonic 2 it didn't feel like it was any kind of an improvement (a fun game I guess but really - more of the same..). Honestly, you look at any "all-time top console games lists" and you'll never see a Sega CD title in it. They never had anything half as good to compete with SNES at that point (the likes of fzero, actraiser, metroid, chrono trigger, final fantasy etc)

I don't give a shit either way, usually I'll not go and bash a system but I remember being such a big Sega fan and then EXTREMELY letdown with the CD (especially after all the hype) and then the system just kinda started dying, for me, right around then. By the time 32x was being announced, I didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Anyway, it's always fun to argue about Sega's colossal mistakes.. let's do Dreamcast marketing next!!

Come on I can't be the only person here who actually PLAYED some of the great games that were on the Sega CD? Something tells me most people who have a bad oppinion of it, are, as usual, people who really had very little experience with it at all. I never think of or mention Night Trap when the odd conversation about the Sega CD comes up, usually Wonderdog is the first game that comes to mind for me or Sonic CD...

ralp99 I think you're mislead to think that everyone only thinks of Nighttrap... I think people more likely bring up Sonic CD or Snatcher... no one cares about shitty night trap or any of the other shitty fmv games. There were a LOT of NON shitty, NON FMV games out there that seemingly a lot of people never bothered to even try. Yeah so the graphics still weren't as good as the SNES, they were still good for the time. Soundwise, obviously, the CD music blew the SNES away. It was a step in the right direction, IMO, and an evolutionary step towards later CD based systems.

I will attempt to list other non-shitty games that I can remember playing just to illustrate how many there were...

Sonic CD
Wonderdog
Snatcher
Batman Returns (port with all new SWEET Batmobile levels)
Jaguar XJ220
Spiderman vs. Kingpin (totally different than cartridge version)
Lunar
Lunar 2
Adventures of Willy Beamish (or was I the only one who played/liked this?)
Final Fight (better than the SNES version!)
Heimdall
Silpheed
Keio Flying Squadron
Lords of Thunder (was on PCE CD as well, AWESOME shooter)
Popful Mail
Sol Feace (cart version was released later)
Misadventures of Flink (absolutely GORGEOUS graphics)
Dark Wizard
Shining Force (dont know how much this one was changed from cart version)
Dune (totally different than cartridge version)
Eternal Champions (FAR enhanced over the cartridge version)
Heart of the Alien (Out of this World 1 & 2 combined)
Robo Aleste
The Terminator (completely different from cart version)
Secret of Monkey Island
Vay

Many of those games were really good, and did things that couldn't be pulled off on the regular Genesis, and NONE of them were FMV games :p Maybe it wasn't as vast a library as we all would have liked but that's because they kept pushing those stupid FMV games and the gimmick wore off fast, then guys like you thought that's all the Sega CD had to offer, word spread and sales never really did very good. There were some good "mode 7" style psuedo 3d games as well that equally rivaled the 3d that the SNES was doing. The batmobile sequences in Batman returns are one good example of how impressive the Sega CD's graphics COULD be.

Come on guys, unless you've played some of the better games like the ones I've listed above, well.. as the saying goes, don't knock it unless you've tried it.

ralp99 posted on Apr 12 2005 at 11:04 AM said:
but when they pt otu the sega CD unit, it was just the beginning of the half-assedness of the next generation of Sega... all it was, was a gimmick to try and detract people's attention away from the SNES, but ocmpare the two systems.

Didn't Sega even run ads in the US that said "Are you going to wait until Nintendo release a CD drive?". Pretty brave really...

J(ohn)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega always had more guts than brains :)
That part of why i love Sega.
Unfortunately, I was too poor to get a segacd.. I should probably get one on ebay or search at garage sales this summer.. :) apparently there were quite a few good games for it, but still a very small amount compared to almost anyother videogame systems at the time...

The subject isn't whether the Segacd or 32x are good/worth emulating, we all know it is worth emulating. Sucky/stupid/whatever or not, it is still a console and part of videogame history and therefore it has value and is worth emulating. The subject is pretty much, discuss the emulate-ability of Segacd and 32x.

Segas systems weren't always the best (Genesis was best when it came out, and even after the snes came along, the Genesis was still pretty cool because of its good games that had, and were going to, come out) but they had more than their share of good games, and thats what I like about sega.

:)

Still wishing for Sega to make another system. (I didn't get a DC though, should have)

Back