Sega Saturn Emulator Source Code Anywhere?

MWeston

Internal Development
Website
openpandora.ca
Does anyone know where I can get source code for a Saturn emu? I'm thinking of seeing where I can get porting it to ARM this summer. Maybe this will be of some use to the GP2X someday but I'm not trying to stir anything up by saying that! :)

Is the source for the SSF emulator anywhere (or one that actually WORKS for the PC)? Thanks!

Blah said:
The only Saturn emulator I've heard of requires a NDA for code, I think.
Are you serious? Hmmn, well I would be fine signing one as this is just for me right now and I could release binaries only if something became of it later. Of course, I would have no idea who to contact!

Last edited by a moderator:
QuasaR said:
Google is your friend... http://yabause.sourceforge.net/ is a very good Saturn-Emulator, which is even ported to the Dreamcast! I'm using it from time to time under Linux, where it runs great. But I don't think that this thinggie is going to work with our GP2x...

Thanks for the link. I did Google it but the problem is that there are several emulators out there, but not all of them say whether they actually run anything other than simple homebrew and so I'm hoping for source to one that is fairly complete. Also, it is not always known how new a version is verses what the latest version is. The two binaries on my computer are SSF and Satourne. It can be hit and miss which one will work with which game but they are the two I try.

I certainly did not want to start a "Saturn on GP2X" thread but I was only suggesting that if I get it going on a different ARM platform that someone might want to check it out for their own fun on GP2X nothing more. :)

Well, with some tweaking, 2D Saturn games could be feasible on gp2x, couldn´t they?
However, if I recall correctly, Yabause on PC performs poorly (lock-ups, graphical glitches...) even with 2D games...

A (limited) Saturn on the go would be awesome :)

moz said:
what are the decent games for the saturn?
Burning Rangers
Dark Savior
Dragon Force
DoDonPachi
NiGHTS: into dreams
Panzer Dragoon-series
Radiant Silvergun (Ikaruga's predecessor, imo the better of the two)
Saturn Bomberman
Sexy Parodius
Soukyugurentai
Shining-series (Shining Force 3, Shining Wisdom etc.)
Thunder Force V (far superior to the PSX version)
Virtua Fighter 2

... to name a few.

Yeah, there are lots of good Saturn games.

Well, it looks like the lack of source code is why emulation on powerful handhelds like the PSP don't exist! That's just sad.

I was playing "Guardian Heroes" on my Saturn this past week. Awesome game! :)

Let's not forget,
Galactic Attack
Astal
Baku Baku
Sega Rally
and Wipeout, I liked this better on the Saturn than I did on the PS1. The music was better and it seemed that the ships were easier to handle (better control).

There were a lot of good fighters on this system.

Yeah, Panzer Dragoon fullspeed with perfect sound is possible, I think :lol:
No, seriously the yabause for DC is running at about 4-8 fps. And you'll have to find a solution for loading the isos fast, cause that's the main-prob on picodrive and sat-isos are bigger than that mega cd ones ....... ;)
But it had a lot of shit-loaded games :) , not so many 2d-games (I think Guardian Heroes was a decent one .....), but I think these could be possible at around 15-20 fps, without sound and highly overclocked (sorry for those optimistic ones, the sat is highly complex-structured and the gp2x isn't the strongest one :p ...
BUT HEY: If you want to do this one your own (maybe ask zodttd or notaz ;) for help) you can start :) .
I'll wait for the initial release, with 5fps and no sound :lol: ....

regards,
Cheese

The problem with Saturn emulation isn't so much that it is undocumented, it is more to the fact that the architecture is incredibly complex. Every function of the machine practically has it's own processor, and to even attempt to get them to run on any other system puts such a workload on the machine that no handheld system can currently run it.

Even though the Playstation is currently emulatable (kind of) and it is debatable that it is more powerful, it is a lot easier to emulate.

Divine Ruler said:
The problem with Saturn emulation isn't so much that it is undocumented, it is more to the fact that the architecture is incredibly complex. Every function of the machine practically has it's own processor, and to even attempt to get them to run on any other system puts such a workload on the machine that no handheld system can currently run it.

Even though the Playstation is currently emulatable (kind of) and it is debatable that it is more powerful, it is a lot easier to emulate.
Exactly. PCs still have a tough time emulating the Saturn. It just isn't going to happen.

Well, just for official records, I'M NOT PLANNING ON MAKING A GP2X PORT! :)

If good source code were easy to find, I'm sure someone would try it just for fun. Sort of like running Windows 95 on the GP2X....no real purpose other than for the wow factor.

Khan said:
...Yabause on PC performs poorly (lock-ups, graphical glitches...) even with 2D games...

A (limited) Saturn on the go would be awesome :)
Remember, the Saturn has no 3D hardware.

blakespot

Yes the Saturn does have 3D hardware, and it's weird hardware that generates quads instead of triangles. :p

Mudi said:
Yes the Saturn does have 3D hardware, and it's weird hardware that generates quads instead of triangles. :p
I understand that the Saturn generates quads, but I understood that to be a library thing from Sega. There is no geometry engine in hardware. What 3D hardware does it have?

blakespot

Back