Seaman

GizmoTheGreen said:
this "seamen" thing is getting a little NSFW...
Indeed. Let's go back to laughing at people who'll be leaving the lights on tonight because they saw fish with a people face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had seaman when I started university, and seaman provided me with many hours of entertainment with my flatmates. I would recommend getting seaman to everyone.

Now that is out of the way, I do hope it can be emulated well, and it was hardly graphically intensive, and good fun.

Exophase said:
That's not pessimism, that's fact. If the emulator doesn't play the game at 100% speed then the whole thing won't work very well. I didn't say anything about whether or not it will - that people will just have to see. But it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.
I'm not sure how the mic is used in the game, so this might not be useful but...
Would it be possible to push a button to record a sound clip independant of the DC emu, and then play it into the emulated mic at the speed it's actually running?
Obviously not ideal for precise timing, but better than nothing/garbled mess.

Aninhumer said:
Exophase said:
That's not pessimism, that's fact. If the emulator doesn't play the game at 100% speed then the whole thing won't work very well. I didn't say anything about whether or not it will - that people will just have to see. But it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.
I'm not sure how the mic is used in the game, so this might not be useful but...
Would it be possible to push a button to record a sound clip independant of the DC emu, and then play it into the emulated mic at the speed it's actually running?
Isn't that what basically normally happens? I mean, there's usually something called a "sound buffer" in the sound system of a device. ;)

Aninhumer said:

The audio input in the game is totally interactive. I don't think anyone will want to play it like that.

dflemstr said:
Isn't that what basically normally happens? I mean, there's usually something called a "sound buffer" in the sound system of a device. ;)

No. Sound buffers can compensate for momentary decreases in speed but the game has to average full speed over time (meaning that it has to run faster than fullspeed afterwards in order to keep up).

Tensuke said:
AFAIK no one has emulated the mic yet.
But the real question remains to be asked:
Do we really want a portable Seaman?

YES YES YES, OH GOD YES.

Seaman was a worthless, yet abso fucking lutely HILARIOUS game. Having seaman in my pocket (*giggles*) would alone justify the price tag of the Pandora.

Exophase said:
dflemstr said:

No. Sound buffers can compensate for momentary decreases in speed but the game has to average full speed over time (meaning that it has to run faster than fullspeed afterwards in order to keep up).
Yes of course, but I was commenting in context of Aninhumer's post, and he mentioned a push-to-talk button. Can't the emulator have an internal sound buffer that, when the "push button buffer" is empty, simply is filled with NULL, and when the "push button buffer" contains something (meaning that it has been filled by the user pushing a button and recording something), the data will be copied from the "push button buffer" to the sound buffer. No copying will occur, of course, while the emulator still has data to read from the buffer. This would require the "push button buffer" to be a variable-length queue of course, but it would be manageable as long as the user doesn't speak for more than, say, 1 minute straight (then memory might become an issue).

[sub](Reviewed this post multiple times, because when posting with Exophase around, you'll have to be really careful not to say something inaccurate :p)[/sub]

I think I see what you're getting at.
The emulator would record your voice while the button was held down, then play it back to the emulated game at proper emulation speed.

It would introduce some lag because the game wouldn't get to hear you until after you had said something AND after the emulator had played it back, but I don't think anybody will play Seaman for more than like 5 minutes, ever, so that's not a problem.

lulzfish said:
I think I see what you're getting at.
The emulator would record your voice while the button was held down, then play it back to the emulated game at proper emulation speed.

It would introduce some lag because the game wouldn't get to hear you until after you had said something AND after the emulator had played it back, but I don't think anybody will play Seaman for more than like 5 minutes, ever, so that's not a problem.

I played it for far more than that :p

And besides which, the original made you press the button down whenever you wanted to say something, so it doesn't sound like it would be that bad a compromise.

Back