Sdk

mr.mirko

Certified Guru
Website
mirkoroller.de
Hi, welcome on board gamepark lovers...

I made an interesting chat with Squidge, so what do you think.

the gp2x comes with an very old linux settup, not very devving friendly, so there are 2 solutions.

Create a new Linux for the system, gcc 3.4 and glibc, sdl based. This means we need the Linux source, or we can not have access to the sd-card or flash-rom. The SDL port could be hand optimization to use the second cpu-core. To speed up all SDL games/emus.

Or, create a new SDK, like my mirkoSDK, using the hardware directly, and write all stuff from button up ? ( using 2D accelleration in framebuffer and so on )

What would you prefer ?
Full OS, for easy porting ?
A new SDK ?

There are still some open questions.

Is it possible to run some kind of fxe, at boot time, with an file chooser ?

I'm not all too sure. I need to read up on how the system works a bit more, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Isn't the linux stored inside the main gp2x chip, and as such cannot be removed, and/or stopped from booting without flashing of the firmware?

Do we get direct hardware access etc... with the OS already in place? If so, I believe a direct hardware access SDK would be ideal, I believe gph is already working on such a thing?

However, either way a recompile of their SDL port would be a good idea also, for quick porting before optimization, and also quicker cross platform development in less processor intensive games (such as mine, I am currently planning on using the SDL port, since I already have a linux version running, if possible)

Toris posted on Sep 9 2005 at 11:09 PM said:
I'm not all too sure. I need to read up on how the system works a bit more, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Isn't the linux stored inside the main gp2x chip, and as such cannot be removed, and/or stopped from booting without flashing of the firmware?

Do we get direct hardware access etc... with the OS already in place? If so, I believe a direct hardware access SDK would be ideal, I believe gph is already working on such a thing?

However, either way a recompile of their SDL port would be a good idea also, for quick porting before optimization, and also quicker cross platform development in less processor intensive games (such as mine, I am currently planning on using the SDL port, since I already have a linux version running, if possible)

Linux is stored in the Flash ROM.
The bios (before booting linux) will offer a fileselectbox, where some kind of fxe can be loaded.
So it is possible creating ouer own SDK, without using linux as OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back