Sdhc Speed

MagicPants

Still Fresh
Website
www.scienceoftomorrow.com
I was just checking out SDHC cards online when I noticed how slow the things are. The fastest 32gig card is 4 MB/s while 16 gig cards are usually 6MB/s.

Any ideas on how to speed this up? Could we run them in a raid?

Let me add my question to the initial one (if MagicPants doesn't mind).
A question to dev team (for Mweston I suppose). Can you please disclose the model of controller that drives SDHC cards in Pandora?

i checked that other thread but i couldnt really find an answer to what i wanted to know... recently i bought a 32 gig sdhc (made by PNY), class 4, in anticipation of the pandora. Will i encounter any problems from the slow speed of the card except for slow game loading times/transfer speeds? Someone please help me out, im not too much of a techy person...

Also should be said, the speeds on SDHC cards is sustainable speed the card will to 100% provide and never go below, most SDHC cards will give you much more speed than that in most cases. Where you to for ex. back-up one SDHC 32GB to another SHDC 32GB card (if we say that the one your doing a backup of is full) and both cards have a 4MB/sec marking you can rely on that never during that backup will it (due to the cards) drop below 4MB/s but it will go faster if possible.

It's not the top speed of a car, more like the bus in Speed (the movie with that dude from the Matrix you know?), the "bus" ain't allowed to go slower :D

I have seen results from others with OMAP3 development kits that go from 5 MB/s for normal cards, all the way up to 13 or 15MB/s for those professional photography, really high speed kind of cards. I forget the exact number but it was up there somewhere. With a theoretical max of 24MB/s, these are pretty decent results for real data.

Seems like most flash formats are going to die off in favor of usb flash drives. Only thing holding it back is a standard form factor that can go flush with the surface of devices.

MagicPants said:
Seems like most flash formats are going to die off in favor of usb flash drives. Only thing holding it back is a standard form factor that can go flush with the surface of devices.
I wouldn't say so. Probably true for Comact Flash, XD etc... but SD cards are being used in everything from consoles to cameras to multi track recorders and mobile phones. JVC have even released a camera which records directly to SD cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
A real question, do we need it to go faster? (not trying to start a war, just asking for an honest opinion)

Second, would a USB 2.0 hard drive/ethernet adapter allow faster transfer assuming we did need it.

MWeston said:
I have seen results from others with OMAP3 development kits that go from 5 MB/s for normal cards, all the way up to 13 or 15MB/s for those professional photography, really high speed kind of cards. I forget the exact number but it was up there somewhere. With a theoretical max of 24MB/s, these are pretty decent results for real data.
So it's useless to buy a card capable of more than 15mb/s of write speed? What do you think was the bottleneck in the results you're referring to? Theoretical maximum you've mentioned is for SDHC controller used in :pandora1: ,isn't it? Or was it maximum of the most speedy SDHC card?
nubie said:
A real question, do we need it to go faster?
/swap

_VWV_ said:
MWeston said:
So it's useless to buy a card capable of more than 15mb/s of write speed? What do you think was the bottleneck in the results you're referring to? Theoretical maximum you've mentioned is for SDHC controller used in :pandora1: ,isn't it? Or was it maximum of the most speedy SDHC card?
nubie said:
A real question, do we need it to go faster?
/swap

What about a speedy USB dongle for swap? I think some of them "RAID" the memory chips for increased speeds, like a Corsair speed something or other.

I agree it wouldn't be the cleanest looking setup.

I'd like to get a simple right angle adapter so I can lay a nice big flash drive flush with the back of the pandora to use as extra storage of swap space.
Maybe I'll have to settle with strapping a 2.5 inch usb hdd to the bottom instead...

MagicPants said:
Seems like most flash formats are going to die off in favor of usb flash drives.
Seems like usb flash drives are going to die off in favor of usb card readers with (micro)SD card sticked in ;-) They are cheap, small and the card can be replaced and used in other device (camera, mp3 player, camcorder, ...).

Back