Sd Slot Broken

bleonlf

Still Fresh
Hello,

My GP2X (F-100 Value Pack, bought on april 2007) is presenting a problem on the "SD slot". In fact i belive it's broken, cause when I try to insert the SD card in the socket it cannot stay inside (there's no 'click').

Anyone knows how could I repair my unit?

Thank's!

Yes, but you need to be confident at soldering to do it.

If you have a spare SD reader (eg computer SD card reader, you can buy them for a couple of quid on e-bay), you can cut it away from its mobo (but be careful to keep the solder joints on the card or you will have problems with pins falling off) and solder wires like for like from these connectors to the ones on the GP2x. I know this works, I have done it. The alternative is to get a mini SD card converter to standard SD card and rig it up to fit into your GP2x (look at my sig) - last item on it.

Other option, if system is still in guarantee (depending on where you bought it from of course), send it back for replacement.

bacteria said:
Yes, but you need to be confident at soldering to do it.

If you have a spare SD reader (eg computer SD card reader, you can buy them for a couple of quid on e-bay), you can cut it away from its mobo (but be careful to keep the solder joints on the card or you will have problems with pins falling off) and solder wires like for like from these connectors to the ones on the GP2x. I know this works, I have done it. The alternative is to get a mini SD card converter to standard SD card and rig it up to fit into your GP2x (look at my sig) - last item on it.

Other option, if system is still in guarantee (depending on where you bought it from of course), send it back for replacement.
Thank's I will try your solution. The garantee was only 3-months...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a mini SD card > SD card adaptor and SD card adaptor (as per my sig), you won't need an SD card adaptor with crossing pins as this method is basically relocating the SD cart slot. All it would mean however is that you would need to have your new SD cart located somewhere else on the GP2x (maybe at the bottom of the case) or externally fitted. At least with this method, you also aren't even opening the GP2x up, let alone doing fiddly soldering to the GP2x mobo.

l33tbunni said:
You would probably be better off just putting in a whole new socket if your soldering skills are good enough. Looks like a $2 part, you could probably get it on digikey, look around, just make sure it is the same reverse style otherwise you risk crossing pins.

I have a friend who has some problem with the ejection system, sometimes he has to remove the card with a knife or a screwdriver. He wanted to change the socket, but couldn't find one that fits with his F100, is it possible to find the right spare that's the same than the original ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back