Hardware issue: display connection broken (similar to Pandora)

b_o_b

Advanced Member
Hope someone can help me with this problem. I have two broken Eee Note EA800s and want to repair one of them.

One has a display that is broken and cannot be fixed and the other has an SD slot that cannot be fixed (so basically lost the whole motherboard). Unfortunately this device can only be hacked or used with the SD card slot.
My idea was to use the good display and attach it to the motherboard of the other Eee Note.

So far so good, disassembled both of the devices and tried to remove the cable from the Eee Note. The connection of the display is pretty similar to the Pandora (has two parts). I broke one of them and that is currently sent to ED for repair and I like to prevent this from happening this time...

Usually these kind of connections are a click system (with a plastic holder), and you loosen them - but they stay attached - and remove the cable and close them afterwards. In this case it came loose after removing the cable and I don't know how it should be fixed - maybe use some force or glue?
I have no idea what is the best method to solve this and I don't want to experiment with force to avoid damaging the connection of plastic holder (exactly what happened to my Pandora).
Hope this make sense, but if not I have some pics that will hopefully make it more clear.

Pic1 - display connection on the motherboard

eenote2.jpg

Pic2 - ribbon cable and connection on the motherboard

eenote1.jpg

Pic3 - cable pushed below the pins without the plastic holder.

eenote3.jpg

Pic4 - plastic piece for cable fixing on the motherboard (on the picture seems to be ribbed and closed - but it is open). It doesn't appear to be broken and I don't see any glue residue.

P8280084.JPG

Now I am not sure about the mechanism. Should the cable be under the pins and should the plastic on top of the pins and should press it down?
As mentioned I had a similar problem with one of my Pandora's - broke and lost the plastic (very fragile) part and I am now waiting for its repair.

[Edit] with some tape while pressing the plastic piece on the connector I was able to make the display work for a while. Whenever I stop pressing the plastic/connection/cable the display fades. Cable below the pins and the plastic piece above the pins.
So I think the main problem is to have the plastic piece fixed firmly above the pins (it doesn't 'click').

I see two solutions - use heat while pressing the plastic piece in the connector or use of glue. In both cases I might ruin the motherboard/connection so I hope someone with more knowledge of electronics can give some guidance.

[Edit 2] Nevermind - solved it :)

The cable AND the plastic piece should be under the pins and then clicked down. It will then be fixed. The device is now charging and the display works.

Last edited:
Back