SD cards, just way too little capacity...

Wow you were lucky and had one of the fancy 1.2MB ones...
Only in school, early 90's when we only had C64 as School Computers. But my first PC (386) already had an 3,5" Floppy Drive so I had 1.44MB and an huge 210MB HDD. Never got the HDD full by tha way... xD

Cough... points to his 8" floppy and 9 track round reel tape drives...
Howmany Capacity had this? And how much was actualy fitting onto ordinary (MC) Datasette-Tapes? I never had one of these tape devices.

Howmany Capacity had this? And how much was actualy fitting onto ordinary (MC) Datasette-Tapes? I never had one of thesetape devices.

On a 2400 foot reel at 6250 cpi it maxes out at around 170MB. Realistic safe capacity with a decent leader and ensuring you don't run out of length is around 150MB per tape.
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/22005/9-Track-Magnetic-Storage-Tape/

Those are far far different from "Datasette-Tapes". Unless you were involved in mainframe data center work prior to 1995, you're unlikely to have ever encountered 9 track tapes.

If you have ever seen a movie from the 1970s or even 1980s where they show a 'computer room', they probably had big server racks of these types of drives. I think they appeared in several James Bond films.

The drive that I have is one of the most advanced ones ever built and comes from somewhere between 1983 and 1985. It likely cost the local university $20,000 +/- when they bought it new. I got it in a pallet of computing equipment at a university auction back in the late 90's.

ahh archos, mate of mine bought one of those, still uses it for films on holiday... innit great how quick sci-fi become the device in your pocket ;)

We were using DLT tapes in around '95 for backup purposes (connected via SCSI to a server on a token ring network). Not sure how long those tapes were, but they held 10GB.

Back