SD cards, just way too little capacity...

If you still have a machine with a decent Operating System, like MSDOS 6, you can use DoubleSpace to format that into 2TB!

(disclaimer: The superior Stacker technology is available in Freedos, PCDOS,etc. Linux users could look at fusecompress or qcow2 (RO though))

I saw the articles on that. So far it's just a prototype. Once SanDisk gets it onto shelves I'll get excited enough to update the Pyra storage space thing. No word on price for those, but I'm guessing in the $500 range - not that I'd pay that, but that seems to be where the highest density SD cards seem to price at first.

My hope is that this means 512GB cards are going to drop further into the range where I can buy a pair for my Pyra. Someday.

I saw the articles on that. So far it's just a prototype. Once SanDisk gets it onto shelves I'll get excited enough to update the Pyra storage space thing. No word on price for those, but I'm guessing in the $500 range - not that I'd pay that, but that seems to be where the highest density SD cards seem to price at first.

My hope is that this means 512GB cards are going to drop further into the range where I can buy a pair for my Pyra. Someday.
in all seriousness the 1tb card is likely to be no use to me at all (for similar reasons) but as you have spotted often new and shiny shiny makes all the more useful and realistically priced stuff come down in price - at least with Linux you don't need GB's and GB's of space for the OS (I liked to boot my Pandora from SD leaving the internal flash as a pristine emergency rescue image) If I wanted music or video I used the second slot as a "media" slot - love the fact there is TWO slots... I'm happy enough to have a small hand full of really cheap SD cards with different genera of media, even keeping some of the music ones with the read only slider enabled....

in all seriousness the 1tb card is likely to be no use to me at all (for similar reasons) but as you have spotted often new and shiny shiny makes all the more useful and realistically priced stuff come down in price - at least with Linux you don't need GB's and GB's of space for the OS (I liked to boot my Pandora from SD leaving the internal flash as a pristine emergency rescue image) If I wanted music or video I used the second slot as a "media" slot - love the fact there is TWO slots... I'm happy enough to have a small hand full of really cheap SD cards with different genera of media, even keeping some of the music ones with the read only slider enabled....

Frankly, with the OS on the eMMC and the uSD still being accessible to the OS when booting from the eMMC, I'm tentatively planning to have all software installed to the eMMC and fill a 200 or 256 GB uSD card with all of my 'must have' media (music mostly). I'll drop a 256GB or 512GB SD card in one slot and put an empty uSD - SD adapter in the 2nd one so I'm always ready to shuffle data on/off the device.

Since I only have a 40GB music collection, I'll likely need to put the entirety of Wikipedia, a local Debian ARM complete software library and enough digital books to last a lifetime. No idea what I'll fill the leftover space with after that.

With two 1TB SD cards, three 256GB uSD cards and a couple of tiny USBA-uSD adapters, the Pyra could have 2.8TB of active on-device on-battery, pocketable storage. No practical purpose unless you want to pocket the mother of all movie libraries, but hey - cool.

Regardless, the Pyra is the only device I'm aware of that has these kinds of storage capabilities that should fit in my pocket. No mobile phone comes close to the storage capabilities. No laptop with those storage capabilities will fit in my pocket.

If you still have a machine with a decent Operating System, like MSDOS 6, you can use DoubleSpace to format that into 2TB!

(disclaimer: The superior Stacker technology is available in Freedos, PCDOS,etc. Linux users could look at fusecompress or qcow2 (RO though))

Filesystems compression is actually usually very silly due to the very fact that most files you store are already in compressed form.

I use a compressing btrfs loop back for my wine testing game collection. A large part of these games compress surprisingly well (factro 2 or so). Haven't looked closer, but it seems graphics assets are often using low compression or uncompressed formats for on disk storage.

I guess game texture graphics especially are only compressed very simply, so that individual graphic files can be pulled out quickly (like PKZIP) and even parts of big graphics can be pulled out of storage rapidly.

That said, I've tried compressing my gamecube ISOs and the best I usually get out of those is a factor of 0.7 something using xz -9. I guess that's more the encryption that's increasing the entropy than the way things are already compressed, and that's probably handled in hardware on the real machine, so effectively free.

the uSD still being accessible to the OS when booting from the eMMC
Has ED actually confirmed this? I thought last time I'd seen him mention something about this, it was more like a "maybe, we might be able to make work, not sure yet, we'd have to look into it"-kind of thing.<--Sorry I had to paraphrase, I don't remember his words exactly.
That it was going to have to be a choice at boot to load the eMMC OR the uSD because the uSD was part of a 2-slot SIM/uSD reader-thing or something..<--Again, sorry for extremely non-technical gibberish, also possibly miss-remembering things, I don't remember the exact wording.
It definitely would be nice if we could retain uSD access after eMMC OS boot (and still make use of the SIM card for calls and/or cellphone internet). I'd probably use mine like you, storing 'must haves'/spare copies of important data on the uSD and save the full size SD's for software and movies/games/average usage stuff.

No need to confirm it, it is theoretically possible if someone codes a driver for that.

Like with everything about the Pandora/Pyra project, "it is physically capable, just as soon as someone figures out the software" :p

TR_CB_Punsh_Cards_111111.jpg

Terra what?

remember huge, 5.1/4 Floppy disks with ~1.2MB Capacity?
Wow you were lucky and had one of the fancy 1.2MB ones...
Cough... points to his 8" floppy and 9 track round reel tape drives...
It's gone now, but just 3 years ago I worked on a semiconductor tester brought back from the dead to test some old product that ran on a Digital VAX/VMS machine that had a working 8" floppy drive and a reel tape drive. One of the cooler things I got to work on, like going back time.

Wow you were lucky and had one of the fancy 1.2MB ones...
It's gone now, but just 3 years ago I worked on a semiconductor tester brought back from the dead to test some old product that ran on a Digital VAX/VMS machine that had a working 8" floppy drive and a reel tape drive. One of the cooler things I got to work on, like going back time.
I have an HP 88780B in my basement - the rarer & pretier "desktop" version with full metal casing instead of rack rails. It is a SCSI interface drive and weighs right around 120 lbs. It has one of the coolest autoloader systems ever. With two lids, it has a clear lexan lid under the heavy steel lid, you can pop the top lid and watch it work. I found a video of a rack mount version loading a tape:

It makes an interesting conversation piece. That said, I'm tired of moving it around.

I kept using a old Archos tablet for the sole reason it had a 256 GB HDD in it, plenty of space for movies. I thought 'why the heck doesn't every tablet have space for a mSATA, they don't take up much room?' 1 TB is more than enough space for me to store movies on for a long plane ride. The day I didn't need to worry about enough storage space on energy efficient device has snuck up on me.

Back