Sd Card Fustrations

mindchamber

Still Fresh
Hi, Im what you call a casual gamer. But I know my way around a computer for the most part, use homebrew on my DS, and PSP with no problem.
So its with great fustration and defeat that I post for help..

I have the GP2X, and a 512mb ScanDisk.

I have tried to get my Gp2X to recognize this card for hours now.

I am able to get into Nand memory through the usb wire but not into SD memory.

I have a Dell monitor with an on board card reader, so I dont need a card-reader, so I AM able to upload files, but thats the extent of it.

I have formatted, reformatted, and formatted again.. fat, fat32....
Any help would be greatly apreciated. this is a really really unfriendly device for the average gamer..

Vimacs posted on Jul 27 2006 at 07:59 PM said:
Did you try quick format?
Do you have/use a card reader?

yep, as I said, I formated every which way possible. and my monitor comes with card readers. no way Im buying another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
yaustar posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
Do you have another SD card to try (a friends/borrow etc)?

no I dont, .. Thanks for the suggestion, but I know it works cause I can see the content through my computer.

Shikaku posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:38 PM said:
It was made before the 2+ GB cards were made, so yes they should work for general use... But not for the GP2X.

Fine, I guess I can grab one from the local dealer.. but man if this doesnt work I will be ever so pissed.

no one should work this hard to make a game product, or any recreational product, work.

mindchamber posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:38 PM said:
It was made before the 2+ GB cards were made, so yes they should work for general use... But not for the GP2X.

Fine, I guess I can grab one from the local dealer.. but man if this doesnt work I will be ever so pissed.

no one should work this hard to make a game product, or any recreational product, work.

This isn't a game product: this is basically a pocket Linux computer. Like a Linux setup, you have to set up things, and make sure all the parameters are correct, make sure you have all the libraries... etc.

Shikaku posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:49 PM said:
This isn't a game product: this is basically a pocket Linux computer. Like a Linux setup, you have to set up things, and make sure all the parameters are correct, make sure you have all the libraries... etc.

Im sure you know what Im getting at. I have no problems setting this up, and even then, basics should work.. like recognizing a simple flash card.

You find that various devices may have diffcultly reading SD cards that have not been formated correctly or have their partition table screwed up. Windows tends to be the most complatible.

Have you tried using linux to rebuild the partition table on the SD card?

I can second the internal card reader suckage comment. My laptop's internel one will not let me upgrade the firmware but the external Verbatim one I bought will. One thing to make sure you are doing is to "eject" the SD card when you are finished. That is, click on the icon in the taskbar and select remove.

yaustar posted on Jul 27 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
You find that various devices may have diffcultly reading SD cards that have not been formated correctly or have their partition table screwed up. Windows tends to be the most complatible.

no I havent I dont have linux installed.

and yeah I did hit eject everytime I formatted or added a file.

if the firmware / drivers for your monitor are old then it will just not work correctly.

Buy a cheap new card reader and try that.

If your Sd card is working (it is) and your GP2x is working (it ismost likely) then it is the card reader you are using that is as fault.

mindchamber posted on Jul 27 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
yaustar posted on Jul 27 2006 at 09:32 PM said:

no I havent I dont have linux installed.

and yeah I did hit eject everytime I formatted or added a file.
Use a LiveCD (if it is a problem with the SD Card)

yaustar posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
Use a LiveCD (if it is a problem with the SD Card)

welp.. Im done.

I created livecd, but I wasnt able to find formatting option within the linuxOs.

then I realized my printer has a multi-card reader, so I updated my drivers and tried that.. no luck.

I finally got a portable reader for 10 bucks..,... and Lo and behold.... nothin..

I just want to thank everyone for their help.

Im returning to my DS, and PSP for flash,and homebrew applications...

Connecting to the GP2X by USB is always dodgy. Mine works sporadically at best.

If you have a card reader, why don't you just copy your files to the card with that, and then insert your card into your GP2X and you're ready to go? Don't bother using the USB connection if you're having problems with it.

You can try all the card readers you want, had the same prob and could only fix it with linux...

Back