Formatting SD card

superatarian

Hello again,

I am trying to format my SD card into a linux partition. When I enter the command that I found here I keep

getting the message: Permission Denied while trying to figure out the size of the file system. I have already

unmounted the SD card. You guys who have already done this, please help.. Thanks....

Are you attempting to format the card on your Pandora, or another computer? Also, what programs are you using to do it?

I am trying to do on the Pandora. The instructions I had did not mention sudo

or gparted, so I will try that. I just typed the command in a terminal

screen...... Thanks... Anything else...?

Ok, I am trying to use gparted. Nice piece of software. Right now I can create a linux-swap

partition with no problems, but I cannot create an EXT2 partition of any size. I keep getting

an error which states that the file-system may be damaged. Do I need to re-create the

parition table? If so, then which one do use?

try formatting to FAT with Panasonic SD Formatter (in Windows), then go back to gparted and try again

Well I did that and SDFormater worked fine. I went back to Gparted and still got errors. I know it has to be

me. There is something I am doing wrong. Anyway you could walk me through the first few steps. Bascially I

unmount the card and then delete the partition so I can format it. From here I can make a Linux-swap partition.

I then try and format an ext2 partition and then Gparted gives me an error and says that the file system is screwy.

Should I not delete the partition. I have tried to resize it with no luck. I guess I need a crash course with this

program. I do love it though. I just have to do things right with it.

i have few knowledge on that, i'm not really sure if ext2 and swap can go together in a sd card. If they do, maybe you should run fdisk from command line (google for specific commands) to set up the partitions, maybe ext2 first (as primary), and then format with gparted.

That is just what I was thinking at work today. I will give that a try. Thanks...

Well I could not get the Pandora version of gparted to work. It just kept giving me an error

everyime I tried to format (though NTFS option did work) using ext2,ext3 and fat32. I finally

tried using the sudo commands in the terminal and that worked fine. I then downloaded and set

up the gparted Live CD and booted that up on my wife's PC. That worked fine also and I was able

to put a Linux-Swap and an EXT3 partition on the SD card. This let's me believe that either

there is something wrong with the Pandora version of gparted or else something in the Hotfix5

that is causing it not to function. I may just try booting up the Pandora with nothing but

the regular setup and just gparted on the SD card. Any other thoughts?

It is possible that there is something wrong with gparted for the Pandora, although I cannot say because I have not used it. If you were able to successully format using your wife's PC, then I'd suggest that you keep using that.

It is possible that there is something wrong with gparted for the Pandora, although I cannot say because I have not used it. If you were able to successully format using your wife's PC, then I'd suggest that you keep using that.

Yes, that is what I am planning unless I, or someone else, figures out the problem. I was able to format an EXT2 partition once on my main SD

card by accident. I could never repeat it though.

Back