Scummvm

booper

Still Fresh
I want to play some of the old point and click games, in particular:

Grim Fandango (not sure if this one runs on ScummVM - does it?)
Monkey Island
Sam & Max
Broken Sword

I've downloaded ScummVM, so now what do I do?

I was going to buy the game from Amazon, does it need to be a specific version of the game, or will any do?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

booper posted on Feb 21 2007 at 04:55 PM said:
I want to play some of the old point and click games, in particular:

Grim Fandango (not sure if this one runs on ScummVM - does it?)
Monkey Island
Sam & Max
Broken Sword

I've downloaded ScummVM, so now what do I do?

I was going to buy the game from Amazon, does it need to be a specific version of the game, or will any do?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Sam & Max and Monkey Island work perfectly on the current port, Broken Sword also works well, and Grim Fandango does not run. Bascially all you have to do is put the scummvm executable on the SD card, then take the data files off the CD. Any specifics can be found in the README file I think.

Edit: Make sure you get the PC/DOS version (i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Max-Hit-Road-DOS/dp/B0007WOX4A/ or similar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, full throttle pwnz (even tho scumm keeps freezing at the bridge part) but yeah, most original scummvm games work fine... i believe this list applys to all verions of Scummvm (as in all platforms)

http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php

also try out Loom, DoTT, and any Indiana Jones game (their all fun)

Know that the fmvs are not supported in Broken Sword yet, but they will be eventually, we got a promise from the port maintainer :)

grim fandango is not a scumm game though. if you are interested, browse the scummvm website, they are working on an experimental engine to run grim fandango but I don't think we will see that one on the gp2x.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't suppose anyone knows where to get the DOS versions of these games in the UK? Amazon UK dont seem to have them :(

booper posted on Feb 22 2007 at 12:04 PM said:
Thanks for the replies.

Don't suppose anyone knows where to get the DOS versions of these games in the UK? Amazon UK dont seem to have them :(

Grab DOS or Windows or whatever versions you can find. There are a few good LucasArts SCUMM bundles that are available.

Also, don’t forget the 2 very decent free games that can be used with ScummVM, BASS and FOTAQ.

sehs33 posted on Feb 22 2007 at 07:48 AM said:
Know that the fmvs are not supported in Broken Sword yet, but they will be eventually, we got a promise from the port maintainer :)

;). Well there are a lot of changes in the main development branch at the moment, a fair bit in this area. More on test releases when I get some free time to hack more (Open2x (see sig) is getting the bulk of my hacking time at the moment).

Also worth noting that there are 0.10.0 SVN test builds on my ScummVM site and the forums (see sig). Nobody seems to check there very often ;).

DJWillis posted on Feb 22 2007 at 07:28 AM said:
Also worth noting that there are 0.10.0 SVN test builds on my ScummVM site and the forums (see sig). Nobody seems to check there very often ;).
The link in the forum doesn't seem to work, but the on your blog/homepage does.

I also updated the GP2X wiki with information on the test release (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/ScummVM#Current_HEAD_SVN=) If anyone gets a chance to update the compatibility list with some feedback, I'm sure quite a few people will find it helpful (including John ;) ).

Yono posted on Feb 22 2007 at 01:09 PM said:

I also updated the GP2X wiki with information on the test release (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/ScummVM#Current_HEAD_SVN=) If anyone gets a chance to update the compatibility list with some feedback, I'm sure quite a few people will find it helpful (including John ;) ).

The server that runs all of ScummVM's forums and wiki has been up and down like a YoYo for the last few days :(. Its up again now ;).

Also, could you not just point people at the official WiKi pages (where the compatibility list was taken from)?

I hate to edit the page on Wiki.GP2X.org (seems wrong as I am the porter and it is a community Wiki) but there is just tonnes of dupe info there making the page a little unclear IMHO ;) when some choice links may be of more use.

Still, that is just my view. I really don't mind that much but if anybody wants to help look after the official pages let me know.

I realise whoever copied it over updated the compatibility list from the official Wiki just edited it with the date of 7th Feb but the content is very out of date (SVN from Oct. last year) and does not match the 7th Feb release :(.

Seems daft to have information all over the place just for the sake of it IMHO but I appreacte any effort really :D.

Regards,

John

DJWillis posted on Feb 22 2007 at 09:41 AM said:
Yono posted on Feb 22 2007 at 01:09 PM said:

The server that runs all of ScummVM's forums and wiki has been up and down like a YoYo for the last few days :(. Its up again now ;).

Also, could you not just point people at the official WiKi pages (where the compatibility list was taken from)?

I hate to edit the page on Wiki.GP2X.org (seems wrong as I am the porter and it is a community Wiki) but there is just tonnes of dupe info there making the page a little unclear IMHO ;) when some choice links may be of more use.

Still, that is just my view. I really don't mind that much but if anybody wants to help look after the official pages let me know.

I realise whoever copied it over updated the compatibility list from the official Wiki just edited it with the date of 7th Feb but the content is very out of date (SVN from Oct. last year) and does not match the 7th Feb release :(.

Seems daft to have information all over the place just for the sake of it IMHO but I appreacte any effort really :D.

Regards,

John

The reason I moved it to our wiki is because more people have access to it and you have to jump through loops to get an account an edit at the ScummVM wiki. At this wiki it only takes a few seconds to sign up and more people will be able to add feedback. The other wiki seems more developer oriented. If you post the info from the new SVN release at the scummvm wiki, I'd be willing to update at the GP2X wiki.

Yono posted on Feb 22 2007 at 04:03 PM said:
The reason I moved it to our wiki is because more people have access to it and you have to jump through loops to get an account an edit at the ScummVM wiki. At this wiki it only takes a few seconds to sign up and more people will be able to add feedback. The other wiki seems more developer oriented. If you post the info from the new SVN release at the scummvm wiki, I'd be willing to update at the GP2X wiki.

Works for me, I will pop some links on the GP2X Wiki pages to show where else to get info but yep, as long as it is current I don't mind one little bit.

DJWillis posted on Feb 22 2007 at 12:28 PM said:
booper posted on Feb 22 2007 at 12:04 PM said:
Thanks for the replies.

Grab DOS or Windows or whatever versions you can find. There are a few good LucasArts SCUMM bundles that are available.

So any version will work then?

Yono posted on Feb 21 2007 at 10:05 PM said:
Sam & Max and Monkey Island work perfectly on the current port, Broken Sword also works well, and Grim Fandango does not run. Bascially all you have to do is put the scummvm executable on the SD card, then take the data files off the CD. Any specifics can be found in the README file I think.

Edit: Make sure you get the PC/DOS version (i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Max-Hit-Road-DOS/dp/B0007WOX4A/ or similar)

Fortunately I still have my old DOS versions of Sam&Max + Day of the Tentacle somewhere, can't wait to play them again, just need to buy a new SD card first.

If anything given the GP2x's screen resolution I hope that these games will look even better than on my orignal PC, but is it still easy to play without a mouse?

Fru.T Bunn posted on Feb 23 2007 at 09:14 PM said:
but is it still easy to play without a mouse?

Fairly easy to control ;). If you find it hard I do support USB mice with the right connections ;).

I know the controls are not perfect but if you take time to check the readme and work out what every button (and combo) does I don't thing it is to bad at all.

I picked up the one here and could not figure how to run it. It just exited. When I telneted in and ran the code it complained about mkdir not having enough memory. So on a lark I got the latest SVN release from DJWillis's site and it ran first think. I copied the files from my Kyrandia CD and selected the game. I am now using the game with no problem, nt sure what the issue was with the one from the scummvm site was.

I am not sure if I should have unzipped the modern.zip file but I did. Icould not get any output from the front end so I tried this to see if it would change the symptoms. I also downloaded the SVN release at the same time so I am unsure what fixed the problem.

say talking about controls, how do i type? cause on my mac, and on the 2x, i keep getting thrown into a Debugger Mode, where i have to type exit, i cant type jack on my mac, and have no idea how on my 2x... does anyone have any idea how to type? if no one has any idea what im talking about, heres a pic

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/goe.../Picture1-1.jpg

it only happens in Full Throttle btw

(sry to hijack the thread)

Gary Miller,

No idea what your problem was with the 0.9.1 release (mkdir?, did you copy over the dirs from the zip as well as files?) but never the less if SVN is working for you that is cool. It is a newer (less buggy I hope) version of my backend anyway so should give you less problems (well that is the idea).

No need to unzip the theme files, infact I am not 100% sure they work correctly when unzipped ;).

Goemon4,

Simple answer for that, your Full Throttle rip is bad, that is not a problem with the GP2X port (or MAC version) but IS a problem with the data files from your rip. Just re-rip FT off your CDs and you will be good to go.

John

Back