Scummvm: ‘Git 6B8Fb196-Pre1.4.0’ Builds For Gph Devices (Gp2Xwiz And C

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Hi,

I have started to work on getting the GPH ScummVM backend back into shape once more,

I have placed some test builds up on my site and I am looking for a little help with feedback and community bug reporting to try and get the backend into a good stable state for all the GPH devices by the time of the next official ScummVM release.

More info and downloads can be found at http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=355 (please don't mirror the downloads as I don't want these builds passed off as stable or solid releases).

Regards,

John

DJWillis said:
Hi,

I have started to work on getting the GPH ScummVM backend back into shape once more,

I have placed some test builds up on my site and I am looking for a little help with feedback and community bug reporting to try and get the backend into a good stable state for all the GPH devices by the time of the next official ScummVM release.

More info and downloads can be found at http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=355 (please don't mirror the downloads as I don't want these builds passed off as stable or solid releases).

Regards,

John

Works pretty good. Better than what was originally released. It crashes on me when trying to run fm towns games and for some reason i get no speech on day of the tentacle(and yes I made sure I had the cd talkie version). Curse of monkey island has redrawing issues on the graphics. Great work I hope you continue to work on this the scumm engine is one of my favorites from the old dos days. Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
qbertaddict said:
Works pretty good. Better than what was originally released. It crashes on me when trying to run fm towns games and for some reason i get no speech on day of the tentacle(and yes I made sure I had the cd talkie version). Curse of monkey island has redrawing issues on the graphics. Great work I hope you continue to work on this the scumm engine is one of my favorites from the old dos days. Thanks so much!!!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll dig out COMI and give it a test.

When you say better, better than what? ancient test builds or my official 1.2.1 releases?

I don't actually own any FM-Towns stuff to test but I'll see what I can track down. Hoping some the the graphics issues may all be down to one bug with transparencies on cursors that I spotted.

For reference did you test on the Wiz or Caanoo?

DJWillis said:
qbertaddict said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll dig out COMI and give it a test.

When you say better, better than what? ancient test builds or my official 1.2.1 releases?

I don't actually own any FM-Towns stuff to test but I'll see what I can track down. Hoping some the the graphics issues may all be down to one bug with transparencies on cursors that I spotted.

For reference did you test on the Wiz or Caanoo?
Better than the original build that was released on the archive. Not sure if it was yours or not. I tried this on the cannoo. I have a wiz as well would you like me to test on that too?

Great news that you continue to work on the GPH port !!!

Would it be possible to center 320x200 games vertically on the 320x240 Caanoo screen ? This
would resolve the issue with the LCD Bezel where often the status bar is only half visible.

Also would be possible to fill unused screen area black e.g when "aspect ratio correction"
and "fullscreen mode" are disabled ? This would also look nice for the above scenario.

qbertaddict said:
Better than the original build that was released on the archive. Not sure if it was yours or not. I tried this on the cannoo. I have a wiz as well would you like me to test on that too?

Not sure about the one on the archive, I never post non-official builds on it (and I ask people not to do it) but I am pretty sure it was my build or someone else building my code.
The way people talk about 'archive builds' it almost feels that people have forgotten that you can find official builds on ScummVM.org ;).

Can you also test the Wiz build please, my Wiz is very terminally dead so I can't test and if I don't know it works at least as well as the Caanoo I'll just have to drop support for it.

mats158 said:
Great news that you continue to work on the GPH port !!!

Would it be possible to center 320x200 games vertically on the 320x240 Caanoo screen ? This
would resolve the issue with the LCD Bezel where often the status bar is only half visible.

Thanks, been a while.

That was something I was pondering but I am trying to avoid lots of per device hacks and it actually makes things a bit harder to play in my tests.

As you have black space above the screen it is actually fairly hard to hit the stuff that fires on the screen 'edges' (like menus and icons that fold down etc.) with the touchscreen as you overshoot into nothingness.
I'll give it a little more thought however, it works fine if you use the stick but that sort of defeats the point ;). Maybe I can make it an option, no promises on that mind you.

mats158 said:
Also would be possible to fill unused screen area black e.g when "aspect ratio correction"
and "fullscreen mode" are disabled ? This would also look nice for the above scenario.

That is just a good old fashioned bug ;). Missed a simple black full screen blit on resolution change when I was refactoring.
I'll get that back in.

Okay, first I just wanted to say it's good to see John again - the ScummVM port is one of the big reasons I picked up a Caanoo, and if he'd never popped up again, I'd never get a chance to thank him for it.

Thank you!

Now, I haven't had much time to test, but a few minutes playing a couple of games, I've noticed what is probably the graphics glitch I thought I saw you mention somewhere. In several different games, across a couple of different engines, the mouse cursor is wonky. In a couple of SCI games I tried (Quest for Glory-EGA, Space Quest III, and maybe another one), the cursor's color is wrong - it's a dark red/brown/something, when it should be white. In Sam-n-Max, the cursor is black, instead of the object or icons it's supposed to be. Also, in COMI, I think the problem mentioned above is in the same vein - the cursor doesn't look right when objects are picked out of the inventory (I didn't test much further than that).
There's also a funny glitch in the intro of Fate of Atlantis - as the game title comes out, it's leaves a weird scaled ghosty version of itself. Nothing game-breaking, and it's gone in a second, but it might in the same category.

Also, on a completely different note, I tested Mickey's Space Adventure, and it locks up the whole device right after the game starts. Considering I'm probably the only person who would ever think of playing this, it's hardly port-breaking, but I thought I'd mention it.

But I feel bad that this seems to be all bad news, so let me end with massive praise about how good it is to play Lands of Lore again. :)

*edit* - Oh yeah, in case it's not obvious, this was tested on a Caanoo, fw 1.61

Does in this version in King's Quest IV Rosella behaves adequate on receiving "TAKE OFF THE DRESS" command ???

Thanks for port!
"The 7 guest" have issue with the bad cursor update(when the cursor is moved) and weird video/audio glitchs be present in the movies. Nevertheless this is game have playability.

Hello John. Thanks for the update.

Some remarks to the Wiz version:

There is a small glitch with the cursor when you start Scumm. You have no control over the cursor with the touchscreen or the joypad. You have to press the joypad in all directions for a few seconds then everything works fine.

Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos works fine. Graphics, sound, and saves are good.

I tested some random games with different engines and most work fine.

The FM-Towns games, Cruise for a corps and Spy Fox 3 are crashing, but this are known Wiz bugs.

Regards.

Back