Scummvm: 1.2.0 Preview 1 For Gph Devices.

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Just a quick news post to announce a first preview release of the upcoming ScummVM 1.2.0 for GPH devices (GP2X/Wiz and Caanoo).

Downloads and information can be found on my site below.

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=128

Please grab the downloads off my site rather than mirroring them so I can make sure people get updates to these test releases as bugs are fixed.

How buggy is the preview? I've been thinking about trying some ScummVM games for the first time in my life, not sure if I should get this or the stable version?

Pobega said:
How buggy is the preview? I've been thinking about trying some ScummVM games for the first time in my life, not sure if I should get this or the stable version?

To be honest most things should work just as you would expect, I am not aware of any major bugs (not saying there aren't any).

The idea of the preview and SVN builds I do is to get feedback to help me squash the bugs I may not have noticed before the stable release.
Performance and functionality wise this preview is a long way ahead of the old 1.1.1 stable release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there FLAC support in this version, if not will it be enabled in v1.2.0 ?

has scaling been fixed?

I mean for games with a resolution higher than the one of the wiz, such as monkey island 3.

emjay said:

No and No. Performance is poor on the GP2X/Wiz and Caanoo and it introduces issues on the Wiz/Caanoo that I have not had time to address.
I may get round to it at some point after 1.2.0 unless someone wants to help sooner (patches welcome ;) ).

My stance has not really changed since you last asked.

rex303 said:
has scaling been fixed?

I mean for games with a resolution higher than the one of the wiz, such as monkey island 3.

Pretty much sorted, has been for a LONG time since before 1.1.1.
There are still small glitches due to the Wiz screen (not seen on the Caanoo) but it's pretty good.

DJWillis said:
emjay said:

My stance has not really changed since you last asked.

I can't actually remember typing that the first time to be honest!
I didn't notice any bugs on the v1.1.1 except 'Cruise for a Corpse' didn't even run and still doesn't on this version. Is it supposed to work on the Wiz version ? It works fine on the PC.

emjay said:
I can't actually remember typing that the first time to be honest!
I didn't notice any bugs on the v1.1.1 except 'Cruise for a Corpse' didn't even run and still doesn't on this version. Is it supposed to work on the Wiz version ? It works fine on the PC.

No probs,

I don't own 'Cruise for a Corpse' (or rather, I have no idea where my old CD went since the mid 90's). I'll see if I can track down a copy on eBay and give it a test.

It should work, is there anything of interest in the scummvm.std*.txt log files when you run it that I might find useful?

The 'scummvm.stderr.txt' file has nothing in it (0 Bytes), and the 'scummvm.stdout.txt' file says :-

Debug: STDOUT and STDERR redirected to text files.
Passing to OSystem::SDL initBackend.
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen
Using joystick: PEP Joy
GFX_NORMAL
Keyboard pack 'vkeybd_default' loaded successfully!
Debug: STDOUT and STDERR text files closed.

So I imagine that's no help whatsoever. When running the game it shows a black screen for about a second then exits to the Wiz menu.

(I have the original PC version and the original Amiga version (but I know the Amiga version isn't compatible yet). If you can't find a copy to buy I have seen that it is listed as Abandonware, I don't know if that is still legal for you?))

emjay said:
When running the game it shows a black screen for about a second then exits to the Wiz menu.

(I have the original PC version and the original Amiga version (but I know the Amiga version isn't compatible yet). If you can't find a copy to buy I have seen that it is listed as Abandonware, I don't know if that is still legal for you?))

Thanks for the info, i'll have a look and see if I can spot any oddness, does it also fail on the Caanoo or GP2X builds (if you have hardware to test on)?

Not really into getting an Abandonware copy (it's a pirate one just the same). I like to collect/own the games anyway and having the original CD's is a real help when developing something like ScummVM anyway..

Can anyone get Broken Sword I and II working on the Caanoo with this release of ScummVM?

I've tested the first Broken Sword my Wiz with latest firmware and this new release and it runs fine!

fettouhi said:
Can anyone get Broken Sword I and II working on the Caanoo with this release of ScummVM?

I've tested the first Broken Sword my Wiz with latest firmware and this new release and it runs fine!

Let me go and test.

fettouhi said:

Let me go and test.

DJWillis said:
fettouhi said:

Let me go and test.

Tried Broken Sword II on my Wiz and it runs also but not on the Caanoo.

Like all versions of Scummvm I have tried on the Wiz, this one can't save on Beneath a Steel Sky either. Is it such a complicated bug to solve or just hasn't been a priority?

Thanks, John. This new release looks very good. The performance of SCI games is much better than in the previous version. I tested Police Quest II, Larry 5 + 6 and the Gabriel Knight D1D and all are really good playable now with perfect music. I also noticed a nice speed boost in the Tinsel engine (Discworld 2).
I tested a few games usinf different engines and found no showstoppers except for the Cruise for a Corpse bug already mentioned in this thread (The GP2x version is also affected, btw. On the Caanoo the game runs without problems) and the already known FM Towns bug (only the Wiz is affected here).
The Adlib bug is gone in this version.

Saoshyant said:
Like all versions of Scummvm I have tried on the Wiz, this one can't save on Beneath a Steel Sky either. Is it such a complicated bug to solve or just hasn't been a priority?

I'll try and look into it, with so many engines testing takes ages and bugs like this one slip under the radar. I have completed BASS so many times I tend to just check it runs, and not go much further :0.

This bug will most likely not be a quick one to solve as the code is pretty standard so it's hard to think what may be wrong. Is it failing on all 3 GPH devices or just the one.

DJWillis said:
Saoshyant said:

This bug will most likely not be a quick one to solve as the code is pretty standard so it's hard to think what may be wrong. Is it failing on all 3 GPH devices or just the one.

Yeah, all 3 platforms and CD/floppy versions are affected. Using the games build in save menu you get a "Could not save the game. ()" GUI message. Using the GUI save menu you can save but the save name is not stored. The save state always is called "Untitled savestate". Loading the game you get a distorted screen and the loading fails.
I get autosave working on the Wiz copying a autosave file from a PC version but I don't know how reliable this workaround is...

[Edit:] COMI crashes (only on Caanoo). This is a known bug from the previous version.

Back