SCSI SD Card reader [Large picture warning]

A pile of parts for the prototypes arrived. Mouser ships fast, and Fedex sure seemed to be in a hurry to deliver :p

Now only waiting for the PCB's (shipped today), stencils (ordered today) and solderpaste (ordered today.)

mouser-candybag-proto.jpg

Sometimes, not everything goes to plan. Especially when you don't have the components in front of you while designing.

We somehow managed to get the SD card slot backwards, so that's no good.

And the bought the wrong resistor networks, they're about half the length of the ones we needed!

Can we get anything to work at all with these boards? To be continued.. :x

I have 2 A3000's and an A5000 (Yamaha Samplers, not Amiga's) which I'll buy this card for if it works!  So count me in for at least 3!   :)

Then if it works with my SGI O2, I'll get another .. ;)

Hi,

I would be in for at least one too! If it works with my samplers, I will publish your tool in a couple of sampler forums where are hundreds of people who are surely interested! SCSI-IDE-CF adapters are simply becoming too expensive. May I give you some advice; It might be a cool thing if you could release a 3.5" version with a 50 pin SCSI connector as most samplers use this internal standard. If you can keep the costs low and if it's compatible with some models, this thing will be a hit!

I have a vast collection of old E-mu samplers (pre 1990). If I can help you, let me know, I can test the card reader with my samplers.

Thanks for your efforts! :)   

Last edited by a moderator:
We hope to have 5 of the first working batch of test-PCB's up for grabs, preferably to be bought by people with untested samplers.

Making it 3.5" will increase the costs quite a bit, at least if an external front panel + real mounting brackets are needed. The current design is focusing of being simple to install. If there's a later demand for an internal version, and that we can keep the costs down, a 3.5" version might be made available in the future. 

EDIT: First populated prototype board as it is right now:

proto-populated.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing  :)  I have 3 samplers with a 25 pin connector. Let me know if I can do something for you

I'm ready to test as soon as you are!  My samplers are open and on the bench already, in fact .. ;)

Hi,

I'm just writing to say that I've been waiting for a product like this. I will buy one for my ASR-10 when you have one to sell. I'd also be happy to test, but it seems like you've already tried on an ASR-10. Looks very promising. 

Keep up the good work!

B

Will it be possible to change SCSI id? If yes, will it be via jumper, or a (smoother) switch?

SCSI ID will be changeable. Default one will be whichever one is the least likely one to collide with a SCSI ID in use already. Having a nice external switch would be ideal, but it would almost double our BoM costs. 

Cool. It makes perfect sense to keep the BOM to a minimum. Can't wait to get (at least) one of these.

B

Do you (Slaeshjag, that is) have some sort of ballpark number on what a unit will cost in the end?

I have not spoken to ED about what he will add. It will depend a lot on volume. For the first batch of 100, about 75% of the price distributors pay will be startup-overhead.

Making a worst-case assumption that 100 will be made and no more, most likely not over €50/each from distributor, VAT included. This also include wiggle-room for failures on our part.

Just so that I know how much I need to start saving, I mean :) But that is not a lot at all, really. 

Well, some hacking later and we have an ASR-10 that is currently formatting an 1GB microSD, so I think we know what needs to change for the next revision :)

Back