Screen goes black (hinge?)

Just yesterday I started experiencing almost the same issue. When fully opened the screen was fading to black (but the backlight was still on). When not fully opened it was sometimes fine, sometimes purple tinted, and sometimes over-contrasted. About a month ago I had a different issue of the touch screen not working - re-connecting the LCD cable on the main board have fixed it. So today I tried re-connecting the cable again, but it didn't work this time, so I disassembled the lid and re-connected the cable on the LCD side. I was very happy to see that it helped (I have already started writing a request to OP for a new LCD cable :) ).

I've never seen a unit fail at the other end as it's pretty secure there. It's possible I suppose, but usually we just replace the whole top part.
I have seen at least one (my own) :D .

For what I have seen - yes, it's quite secure, but I can also see that opening and closing the lid causes the cable to be slightly pushed towards the connector - more on one side than on the other. I think this may cause the cable to slowly skew in the connector.

I had mine going into "suspend" mode all by itself sometimes, but this only ever happened when the lid was fully closed.  and a tap on any key would bring the screen back up.

What you are describing...does not sound like the same issue, but, it could be.  Does the screen come back, even in the new position, after it blacks for you?

If so, it could be going into "suspend" mode.  I'm wondering what triggers "suspend" mode normally.

Sometimes, this would haopoen to me when charging battery, too...it would finish charge and go into suspend, without me asking....and I flip open the lid, and screen didn't come back on-until a key was pressed.

Other times, after charging, you'd just flip open the lid and be greeted by that beautiful Pandy screen.

On the topic of broken lcd cables, mine appears to have contracted the  'intermittent scrolling green bands of death'

They started a little while after I poked around to fix the built-in wifi (moved some tape shorting the antenna)

I later did a complete dismantle to see if I could find the problem - and found that It would go away if the cable was left perfectly flat.

I reassembled the pandora and the problem came back, since the cable is rolled up when threaded through the hinge.

More recently it has got a bit better, and goes away for days at a time, but comes back sometimes.

The stripes appear to scroll a little way upwards before repeating, and are affected by what else is in their row - a completely flat (one colour) screen displays perfectly.

Any ideas?

I had mine going into "suspend" mode all by itself sometimes, but this only ever happened when the lid was fully closed.  and a tap on any key would bring the screen back up.

What you are describing...does not sound like the same issue, but, it could be.  Does the screen come back, even in the new position, after it blacks for you?

If so, it could be going into "suspend" mode.  I'm wondering what triggers "suspend" mode normally.
Hmm, I don't see how the screen coming back when changing angle indicates going into suspend. I would say it indicates otherwise. I don't suppose my Pandy goes into suspend while the screen blackens, because:

1. The backlight is still on.

2. The power led is fully bright.

But, if I manually suspend the device while the screen is black it won't wake up again (even if I try setting various screen angles). The only thing I can do then is hard-reset. Interestingly, when I connect the charger, the charging light comes up, but the power light is still dimmed (and the screen is black). Normally my Pandora wakes up when connecting a charger.

On the topic of broken lcd cables, mine appears to have contracted the  'intermittent scrolling green bands of death'

They started a little while after I poked around to fix the built-in wifi (moved some tape shorting the antenna)

I later did a complete dismantle to see if I could find the problem - and found that It would go away if the cable was left perfectly flat.

I reassembled the pandora and the problem came back, since the cable is rolled up when threaded through the hinge.

More recently it has got a bit better, and goes away for days at a time, but comes back sometimes.

The stripes appear to scroll a little way upwards before repeating, and are affected by what else is in their row - a completely flat (one colour) screen displays perfectly.

Any ideas?
Well, not that it is too helpful...but THIS is precisely why I never wanted to muck around with taking my Pandy apart!

Hmm, I don't see how the screen coming back when changing angle indicates going into suspend. I would say it indicates otherwise. I don't suppose my Pandy goes into suspend while the screen blackens, because:

1. The backlight is still on.

2. The power led is fully bright.

But, if I manually suspend the device while the screen is black it won't wake up again (even if I try setting various screen angles). The only thing I can do then is hard-reset. Interestingly, when I connect the charger, the charging light comes up, but the power light is still dimmed (and the screen is black). Normally my Pandora wakes up when connecting a charger.
Yeah, mine usually woke up, too, when connecting the charger. Humm...your problem seems far different than what I had been experiencing.

Yeah, mine usually woke up, too, when connecting the charger. Humm...your problem seems far different than what I had been experiencing.
It does not mean they are caused by different things. Maybe the system behaves differently when different LCD wires loose their connection. But I don't press you to try to fix the cable by yourself, if you don't feel comfortable about this. I have got some additional case cracks because of my own servicing skills :D

It does not mean they are caused by different things. Maybe the system behaves differently when different LCD wires loose their connection. But I don't press you to try to fix the cable by yourself, if you don't feel comfortable about this. I have got some additional case cracks because of my own servicing skills :D
OK so today my GHz Panda finally encountered the same problem with  that F_Slim stated in the beginning of this thread.  So, despite of all your warnings here, I tried the suggestions posted here and opened the case and tried to examine for loosen LCD cable, and waalaa, I broke the cover! :(    Worse off, I also broke the LCD cable! :angry:  Damn!  Does anybody have a new spare case and LCD cable for sale and how much do they cost? :huh:

See, this is why I'm willing to just send mine back and get it repaired by folks who know what they are doing...even if it costs money.

Mine is currently in NH, will be reaching Link tomorrow, for warranty repair.  But if I had a repair that was out of warranty, and needed to be paid I would still do it.  No WAY am I ever trying to take my Pandy apart...there are way too many tiny pieces in there.

Which is why I'd LOVE to get a spare second Pandy for when if ever my Pandy has to go to the shop, and that way I'm not out of a Pandy, like I am right now... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back