lcd hinge issue?

jimcdr

Still Fresh
Hello! I just recently (had it for a week) bought the open Pandora system and I'm having issues with the screen. It doesn't stay on when the screen is fully open. It only come on when you slowly open it. If you slowly close it the LCD goes off, believe its the "close lid sensor" however i was able to use the input tester and its not showing that i closed the lid? Am I able get this repaired or replaced? Am i able to fix this my self?Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your Pandora new ? It would be rare to have such an issue with a new machine... more likely second hand. 

This being said, it sounds like a LCD cable issue. You could try repairing it yourself but ordering a new cable, but you could return your Pandora as well to get it repaired. 

Based on what you've said so far this seems to be more likely related to the LCD cable rather than the lid sensor  (which is a magnetic switch in the base of the unit triggered by the speaker in the lid when the unit is closed)

I wouldn't expect to see an LCD cable issue in a new unit though.

When you say "open it slowly"  do you mean open it part way?  (does it go out once you reach a certain angle?)

If I had to guess I would say that your LCD cable probably isn't plugged in properly and is pulling loose when the lid is fully open.

In any case on a new unit you should be able to get it serviced.

How comfortable are you with opening electronics?  Would you be  willing to open the unit yourself to have a look and possibly make an adjustment?

Also where are you?

- Neelix

EDIT:  Is there any chance you could fix the typo in the subject line?  It seems to be triggering obsessive compulsive tendencies in me...    ;)  

Yes, when its only partly open and being opened slowly is currently the only time that the LCD works. I'm okay when it comes to electronics. I've replaced LCD monitors on laptops before. This is the unit I have and where I bought it from http://ithic.com/en/48-o.html

*edit: I'm currently on the road on a trip

The first thing I'd suggest, is try re-seating the LCD cable in it's connector

You can use ED's LCD cable replacement video as a guide.  The relevant sections are at the start for opening the unit and at 15:29-15:50 for connecting the LCD cable.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8GfjAsbmK8?feature=oembed

The other possibility that comes to mind is that the cable itself may be damaged,  in which case Link (who runs ithic.com) should be able to replace it for you.

- Neelix

EDIT:  Oh!  and thanks for fixing the subject line!  :D

Okay, well, I just tried reseating the LCD cable but unfortunately I broke the black hinge on the actual connector and now I do not get any display T_T

Is there somewhere where I can send it off for repairs? If so where do I go?

Ouch!  I'm not sure if Link can fix that,  it may need to go back to Germany to have the socket replaced.

Edit:  Either way, I'd recommend you contact Link either by PM on the boards, or through the 'Contact Us' link on ithic.com.  He should be able to advise on the best way to proceed.

- Neelix

Back