Screen goes black (hinge?)

F_Slim

IDDQD
Hi,

today, out of the blue, my Pandora started to have this problem:

When I move the lid from completely open to a more upright position, the screen goes black.

It looks to me like a loose contact. The speakers are not affected.I do not get any weird colors or anything, it just turns off or on.

It is a Rebirth Pandora.

Is this known?

Is this something I could fix myself?

If so, how? (I think I remember reading something about the LCD-cable slipping out of the connector or something similar, could this be it? Can't find it any more ... and I don't want to just screw it open without knowing what I'm doing, what to look for or what fiddly parts might fall out and not get back in again :p )

Could either be not properly plugged in or the cable got damaged while assembling the unit.

You could try to open the back and try to reseat the cable.

Could either be not properly plugged in or the cable got damaged while assembling the unit.

You could try to open the back and try to reseat the cable.
mkay, I just had the backside open, and the LCD-cable seems to be perfectly in place. It also does not move, when moving the lid.

Bad news for me I guess?

Does it make any sense to unscrew the lid and check there?

On the bright side: I found out that I have one of those "lucky boards" working without battery.

On the downside, while removing the battery (and I was extremely careful, because I know that this is a weak spot) one of the flaps broke. The one next to the contacts of the battery. I almost suspect that it was partially fractured already, since I hade a few reboots due to loose battery recently. I glued the flap back on with probably the most vicious super glue there is, but although it works for now I doubt it will last forever.

On the LCD there's another connector like the one on the board. If you feel confident disassembling, check it out. ED's YT video on how to replace an LCD cable will be handy.

Although the LCD cable may look like it's correctly attached to the board, it might not be, it may need to be pushed a *FRACTION* more in to the holder.

*do this very, very carefully*

Lift the securing clip from the LCD cable on the board.

Slide the LCD cable out a little.

Using a flat tool, or something like a match stick, push it back in on the left and right ends, push it until it goes in solidly.

Then very carefully but firmly put the clip back down, making sure it clicks in to place.

Thanks for your replies! I just opened it again, slightly removed and pushed the LCD-cable back in again and made sure that it is really well connected. Unfortunately it did not help.

I watched EDs video to see how I can get to the other end of the LCD-cable, but right now I don't feel lucky enough to try it. Not until it fails completely anyway. Also it looks like it is pretty well secured on that end?

I've never seen a unit fail at the other end as it's pretty secure there. It's possible I suppose, but usually we just replace the whole top part.

Guess I'll have to send it in then :(

I hope it at least keeps working the way it does now for the next two to three weeks, because I'm going on a conference and that's one of the main use-cases I had in mind when I bought it.

After that I guess I will conact you, ED, again before I send it in.

How long does it take at the moment (roughly) for you to repair a unit?

How about the sensor/switch that detects that the lid is closed and turns off the screen? Maybe this part is malfunctioning here.

Having the same problem with my Rebirth Pandora. Started out of the blue a few weeks ago. Screen stays on when fully open but turns off when less than 75% open. Sometimes stays on when 50% open if you close it very slowly but that is rare. Opened the back and can't see a loose connection. Is it possible to just disable the screen going black when closed feature? At least that way I could find out for sure if it is a lid sensor issue or not.

I was having the same issue so I just ran the Pandora Input Tester. That program checks all the buttons but it also shows the lid sensor. Mine is some other problem so I will be sending it back for repair.

Well after closing the back panel it the screen now does show strange colors intermittently so it's time for me to just man up and reseat that LCD cable.

Well after closing the back panel it the screen now does show strange colors intermittently so it's time for me to just man up and reseat that LCD cable.

It's probably a failing cable.

Rare with the new LCD Cables, but it looks like some from the last batch were faulty. :(

Hi,

today, out of the blue, my Pandora started to have this problem:

When I move the lid from completely open to a more upright position, the screen goes black.
I'm having similar problems that started today with my 1GHz, as soon as the screen is moved from a a more upright position the screen is fine and works fine in a fully open position.

is this fixable?

do i need to reseat the LCD cable?

is it wise to send the unit away for repair? (i waited a long time in craigs queue to get it)

Sounds like the lcd cable i think.ed can send you a replacement cable.he has tested some new cable type recently i believe.

i really dont have the manual dexterity to successfully fit a new LCD cable myself and while my wife has done pandora repairs in the past (on my old batch 1 before i traded it in) fitting a new LCD cable is beyond her skill, even though she's used to doing lots of fine dexterous work in her job.

So do i need a new LCD cable?

can i fix this by just reseating the old cable or is it dying?

how would i go about sending my 1Ghz to ED for repair, if neccessary, and how long would this take?

how much is the repair going to cost me? (i've probably had the unit less than two months, dont know if i can afford a costly repair bill.  Especially on something so new)

Back