Screen Burn In

Macguyver

Ok Folks - finally I've got my replacement unit and I'm fully immersing myself into this beautiful piece of technology.

To save on batteries I made sure to buy an AC power supply this time around.

I was just wondering - Do I need to be worried about "burn in" - Tonight I accidently left the unit on one of the screens and I wondered if the LCD is succeptible to any kind of burn in if left on long enough.

Anyone have any insight?

Or am I free to leave this on as much as I like?

Thanks

Mac

Macguyver posted on Sep 12 2006 at 07:48 AM said:
Ok Folks - finally I've got my replacement unit and I'm fully immersing myself into this beautiful piece of technology.

To save on batteries I made sure to buy an AC power supply this time around.

I was just wondering - Do I need to be worried about "burn in" - Tonight I accidently left the unit on one of the screens and I wondered if the LCD is succeptible to any kind of burn in if left on long enough.

Anyone have any insight?

Or am I free to leave this on as much as I like?

Thanks

Mac
Phosphur screens had bad screen burn issues, as did CRT televisions, then plasma televisions/displays. LCD or TFT screens, to the best of my knowledge cannot suffer from screen burn. Naturally there is a lifespan (c. 10,000 hours I believe on average), so the longer you leave it on, the less life it has, but there again, you are unlikely to still be using your original GP2x after 10,000 hours useage (probably have replaced it by then). :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx posted on Sep 12 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
I have the candy skin on, i play some music, turn off the screen and some times i will suffer screen burn... It does go though
Screen burn is where an image is literally burnt on the screen, superimposed over whatever is under it. I used Candy skin for ages too (now use the new menu proggy) - no issues. You might be talking about when you turn off, the fraction of a second the image is on the screen and fades? - this is not screen burn.

Mine is the second release of MK1 GP2x, what do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely LCD/TFT screens can burn in. In fact, the first time I heard of it was in regard to LCD screen. My cell phone has a color screen on the outside that constantly displays the time; if I go into picture mode on that screen, the time is still very clearly visible.

Remember, like I said, the screen is constantly displaying the time (and it's also in the same place on the screen), so burning's pretty much guaranteed. I wouldn't worry too much about burning on the GP2X. It takes a pretty long time generally.

Absolutely LCD/TFT screens can burn in. In fact, the first time I heard of it was in regard to LCD screen. My cell phone has a color screen on the outside that constantly displays the time; if I go into picture mode on that screen, the time is still very clearly visible.

Remember, like I said, the screen is constantly displaying the time (and it's also in the same place on the screen), so burning's pretty much guaranteed. I wouldn't worry too much about burning on the GP2X. It takes a pretty long time generally.

It's pretty much what I figured, the older the display, the more susceptible to burn-in it is.

Check out Wikipedia's article on LCD devices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD#Drawbacks

Back