Scorched Earth Port!!!

tkeely4777

Still Fresh
One of my first gaming memories as a child was playing scorched earth on my 486 as a kid...ah yes, the memories are all coming back to me now...moving my little tank across the screen, enabling my shields, then blowing my enemies to kingdom come with nukes...even though this game is really meant as more of a multiplayer experience, I think this would be an excellent time-waster while on the go. I know that the source code was never made available, but the source for a nice LINUX clone called XScorch is available here: http://chaos2.org/xscorch/ .

I'd port it myself, but 95% of my time is spent doing my job, in which I 80% I spend travelling, and 15% actually doing what needs to be done, and the other 5% is spent sleeping and eating and the ocassional workout...

Anyone here up to the job? ^_^

/prays

Sadly, xscorch uses GTK so it'd be a fairly involved port effort.

On the plus side, it's not like it's a very complicated game to get the basic framework made for. If someone had the time to put together a simple Scorched Earth engine with the ability to take in weapon definitions (either through some sort of scripting system or an XML-like definition system) it would probably be more than enough for the community to replicate the original game.

xml based weapons would bother me in a way just due to the limitedness of it comparitively, itd be harder to make the xml customizable enough to make the different weapons/armour then just to hardcode the orrigonal weaponset yourself.

But im too crappy of a programmer even for this, i need to teach myself how to code already. VB ain't a real language.

tkeely4777 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 02:46 PM said:
One of my first gaming memories as a child was playing scorched earth on my 486 as a kid...ah yes, the memories are all coming back to me now...moving my little tank across the screen, enabling my shields, then blowing my enemies to kingdom come with nukes...even though this game is really meant as more of a multiplayer experience, I think this would be an excellent time-waster while on the go. I know that the source code was never made available, but the source for a nice LINUX clone called XScorch is available here: http://chaos2.org/xscorch/ .

I'd port it myself, but 95% of my time is spent doing my job, in which I 80% I spend travelling, and 15% actually doing what needs to be done, and the other 5% is spent sleeping and eating and the ocassional workout...

Anyone here up to the job? ^_^

/prays

486!? you're so lucky, I first tried it in a 286.. the first program I copied from my friend when I got my computer..

come to think of it that was my first time pirating... . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back