Schematics and packages

Last edited by a moderator:
Is "condensate" even a verb?

I thought it was "condense"...

Well then, does "Capacitors condense electricity" even make sense?  Shouldn't it be "Capacitors store and discharge electricity"?

Think "condensation", the water that collects on the surface of a cold glass, rather than "condense" like milk or soup (just add water).

Electrical "condensation" collects inside the capacitor. The capacitor isn't condensing electricity, it is, uh... "condensating" electricity.

That's true but doesn't explain why they were originally called condensers.

Early capacitors were also known as condensers, a term that is still occasionally used today, particularly in high power applications, like automotive systems. The term was first used for this purpose by Alessandro Volta in 1782, with reference to the device's ability to store a higher density of electric charge than a normal isolated conductor.[9]

from the Wikipedia page       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor 

http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_capacitor_is_called_condenser

A capacitor has the capacity to temporarily store some electric charge, a bit like car windows can collect some water on the inside because of condensation. I always imagine a capacitor to have some electrons condensed into the insulator in the middle. These condensed electrons will "evaporate" again rather quickly but still they will "stick" for a while. I don't think "electron condensation" is a valid term, it's simply called "electric charge" I guess.

Every capacitor has a certain capacity: it is capable of condensing a certain amount of such electron condensation :)

The comparison to car windows is nice, but probably misleading.
Yes, maybe a better analogy is a kind of spongy, semi-permeable membrane in a vertical water pipe, that keeps dripping for some time after you close the valve. Or something.

stillTypes4.jpg

:) I think interpreting condensing in the compressing sense is working better as an analogy for traditional capacitators.

Sooo no comments on the idea of creating a pyra os for the Pandora. As paradoxical as that sounds

Sooo no comments on the idea of creating a pyra os for the Pandora. As paradoxical as that sounds
Please explain.

As far as I understand your first sentence (making a OS that runs on both, the Pyra and the Pandora) you are practically requesting the impossible: This would basically mean creating and maintaining two seperate systems that just "look" and "feel" the same (who should maintain that ?). Unless you want the Pyra to have an OS that does not benefit from its superior hardware.

Debian just wouldn't fit on the Pandora NAND, so it's not likely to be a good candidate to replace SuperZaxxon. There are a few ways of getting Debian working on the Pandora already if you don't mind it taking up an SD card slot. Sure it's possible to make a single OS that would need have different optimizations for the Pandora and Pyra, however since Debian won't fit on the Pandora NAND, SuperZaxxon will still need to be maintained. I just can't see that amount of effort being put into supporting both systems unless a few more people step up to the challenge of doing so.

Edit: There is also the fact the Pyra will be using Debian with arm hard-float libraries vs the Pandora where everything is compiled in soft-float which adds another layer of complexity to the mix. This would break PND compatibility and you would have to have every PND recompiled to hard-float to work and there may also be issues with getting 3D acceleration working since I believe only the 1Ghz units have a hard-float driver (could be old info). 

Back