Scene Demos

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
Hi Blokes, (and blokettes if there are any here)

I thought I'd download some scene demos for the ST and try them out on Castaway. The trouble is they bang the hardware so much they seem to either crash out entirely or have corrupt graphics. The few bits in the mega type demos that do run nicely are excellent.

Just wondering if anyone else had tried some of the old scene stuff on castaway and what sucess they'd had. Maybe someones even got some recommendations that work nicely all the way through. They'd be a hell of a showcase for the GP32.

I am surprised there are not more "scene demos" some of the ones on the GP32 are cool, just need more.

The ones for the ST emu are not that great for the most part. I have seen alot of them and the problem is (was) the dodgy ST sound chip. It made the original game boy sound good in comparison. Many of those for the Amiga on the other hand were awesome, but there is no Amiga emu.

I thought I'd download some scene demos for the ST and try them out on Castaway. The trouble is they bang the hardware so much they seem to either crash out entirely or have corrupt graphics

usually demos show up the limits of a hardware. demos use nasty tricks and timing... a emulator is surly not a solution to run a demo accurate enough. i recommend a real ST in this case :) or as craig mentioned... get a few demos/techdemos from pdroms which are made for GP32 hardware. I can recommend the ones done for the PDRoms Coding Compo I

I tried some of the GP32 demos and they are very reminiscent of the Miggy scene from the mid to late 90's. Very impressive stuff. It was looking at those that made me wonder whether any of the ST demos would work.

Check out The Care Bears flashback demo here Click the Archive link. You'll see why I wanted to find more of the same. Haven't had a chance to look myself but hope to have another root around the net at the weekend. I'll post any compatible demos I find here.

Going back to the Care bears demo, you'll need high Frame Skip if you want to hear the music ok as it runs a bit slow but seeing 4 (yes four) ST demos running at once in split screen is very impressive.

Back