Samsung Tizen phones

Android is popular in the east, but with Government-controlled Baidu and QQ controlling the internet, Samsung thought they might be more successful in China if the matched the culture a bit more

samsung is only securing and plan b is android fails I believe, because android scales so well from top to bottom, so I dont see any gaps where tizen(to a lesser extent ffos, openwebos and ubuntu) would really fill, to me this seems like wasted and duplicated effort. Why not just create another standards body that takes care of the innards of ffos, openwebos, tizen and ubuntu and let the companies skin them and modify them to suite their needs...sounds familiar...

samsung is only securing and plan b is android fails I believe, because android scales so well from top to bottom, so I dont see any gaps where tizen(to a lesser extent ffos, openwebos and ubuntu) would really fill, to me this seems like wasted and duplicated effort. Why not just create another standards body that takes care of the innards of ffos, openwebos, tizen and ubuntu and let the companies skin them and modify them to suite their needs...sounds familiar...
Wasted? You must know less than NOTHING about Chinese culture. I'd do. little more reasearch before making accusations like that

Samsung are planning to use it on some smartphones instead of Android
A good flanking move from Bada to HTML5. Tizen could enjoy better application support with HTML5 becoming more portable than Android apps now are.

Monstercameron has a good point with Android running on low end phones as well, but will too many apps run poorly? Will Tizen be a better match? I agreee that this is a strategic move designed to give Samsung a Plan B in case Google tries to modify Android to hurt direct competitors. With 7.3 billion in profits per quarter, samsung can afford its own OS.

Wasted? You must know less than NOTHING about Chinese culture. I'd do. little more reasearch before making accusations like that
Chinese? You must know less than NOTHING about tizen. I didn't either, but hey, google.

Chinese? You must know less than NOTHING about tizen. I didn't either, but hey, google.
I thought Samsung were from S. Korea.
Yes, South Korea is the home of both LG and Samsung, however, in Korea, Android and iOS are more popular. Tizen has the most amount of total users in China (even though the market percentage is small because China's population is so large)

This is pretty big news for open-source advocates, but there is nothing like the Maemo developer community currently (yet) populating the Tizen forums. There are developer devices out, and apparently Thomas Perl (of maemo fame) got qt, python and sdl built for his device http://tizentalk.com/forum/forums/hacks.3/

just if anyone interested and didn't see already.

www.engadget.com/2013/02/18/tizen-2-0-sdk-and-source-code-released/

Back