Samsung I9000 Galaxy S

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Samsung I9000 Galaxy S

General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100

- Available 2010, June

- Size Dimensions 122.4 x 64.2 x 9.9 mm Weight 119 g

- Display Type Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches

- TouchWiz 3.0 UI

- Multi-touch input method

- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate

- Touch-sensitive controls

- Proximity sensor for auto turn-off

- Swype text input

- Sound alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones Speakerphone Yes - 3.5 mm audio jack

- Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall Call records Practically unlimited Internal 8 GB/16GB storage, 512 MB RAM, 2GB ROM Card slot microSD, up to 32GB, buy memory

- Data GPRS Class 12 (4+1/3+2/2+3/1+4 slots), 32 - 48 kbps EDGE Class 12 3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n; DLNA Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP Infrared port No USB Yes, v2.0 microUSB

- Camera Primary 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus Features Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection Video Yes, 720p@30fps Secondary Yes, VGA

- Features OS Android OS, v2.1 (Eclair) CPU ARM Cortex A8 1GHz processor Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM, RSS Browser HTML Radio Stereo FM radio with RDS Games Yes Colors Black and Grey GPS Yes, with A-GPS support Java Via third party application

- Social networking integration

- Digital compass

- MP4/DivX/WMV/H.264/H.263 player

- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC player

- Organizer

- Image/video editor

- Document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)

- Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration

- Flash Lite v3.1

- Voice memo/dial/commands

- T9 Battery Standard battery, Li-Po 1500 mAh Stand-by Up to 750 h (2G) / Up to 576 h (3G) Talk time Up to 13 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 30 min (3G)

Galaxy-S-Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
Looks like Samsung's putting their own bullshit software over top of Android. No thanks.

Was gonna say. Samsung's custom GUIs are always buggy and shit.

OrR said:
Yeah, great hardware but I just don't trust those modified Androids...

The HTC Sense is beautifully integrated into Android and doesn't steal focus. This just looks like an abomination though.

I thought it was smooth, what it does lack is a keyboard. With all that processing poewr I want to play good old strategies and rpg's. And also, I wont' go into detail on the limits of their open source strategy but instead I will say that since this Atari ST vs. Amiga all over again, I'm rooting for the home team. Despite the fact that they're doing a borderline shitty job so far upgrading their systems. So no android for me thanks.

Everyone says that smart phones are computer replacements now but I don't feel that way, until I get the freedom to put what OS I want on it they'll just be phones that I feel locked into the OS. Heck, it runs Android, why can you mess with the OS on every Android phone and install whatever version you want?

Yeah, the level of being crippled is really annoying. For me it was a big conceptual leap to buy anything but fully opensource when I got my first S60 phone two years ago. Atleast both Symbian and Meego have realeased code, so I'll be happy with a comparison of the code being run and code installed. With any luck this'll turn out to be a victory for free software. But it's still to early to say and frankly spyware running on a java virtual machine creeps me out. I'm referring to the 'made by google' bits in the OS.

But yeah, phones are a problem, thankfully stallman started free software so long ago, so now we have a choice and with years passing things seem to get better.

klikklak said:
I thought it was smooth, what it does lack is a keyboard. With all that processing poewr I want to play good old strategies and rpg's. And also, I wont' go into detail on the limits of their open source strategy but instead I will say that since this Atari ST vs. Amiga all over again, I'm rooting for the home team. Despite the fact that they're doing a borderline shitty job so far upgrading their systems. So no android for me thanks.

You're kidding, right?

SONY said:

klikklak said:
Yeah, the level of being crippled is really annoying. For me it was a big conceptual leap to buy anything but fully opensource when I got my first S60 phone two years ago. Atleast both Symbian and Meego have realeased code, so I'll be happy with a comparison of the code being run and code installed. With any luck this'll turn out to be a victory for free software. But it's still to early to say and frankly spyware running on a java virtual machine creeps me out. I'm referring to the 'made by google' bits in the OS.

But yeah, phones are a problem, thankfully stallman started free software so long ago, so now we have a choice and with years passing things seem to get better.
I just can't understand why a phone can't be like a computer. Why don't phone makers sell phones and say 'supports Android, Meego, Angstrom, mobile windows 7. . .' I mean they could if they wanted. The hardware would be what controls what services it connects to and the sim card is what gives you access to those services. The software does not need to do that. My wifi card lets me connect to wifi, doesn't matter what OS I'm running, and I could buy another card for 3G access. Software is just a layer that runs on top of hardware to give you access to it, a phone should just be hardware that you can install any software on.

klikklak said:
Nova said:
You're kidding, right?

No, I was drunk. Sorry about that. :) Damn that keyboard looks nice.

You type ridiculously legibly when you're drunk. When I'm pissed I usually end up ttpyping leik thhiis.

second exodous said:
I just can't understand why a phone can't be like a computer. Why don't phone makers sell phones and say 'supports Android, Meego, Angstrom, mobile windows 7. . .' I mean they could if they wanted. The hardware would be what controls what services it connects to and the sim card is what gives you access to those services. The software does not need to do that. My wifi card lets me connect to wifi, doesn't matter what OS I'm running, and I could buy another card for 3G access. Software is just a layer that runs on top of hardware to give you access to it, a phone should just be hardware that you can install any software on.
The problem with embedded devices is that the hardware is not modular, you cannot exchange pices. So the drivers are buried somewhere in the system software. This encourages just publishing a big binary pile of shit instead of a well ordered operating system.
I think it's a good sign that we are now seeing operating systems like webOS, and to some extend Android, that are trying to stay consistent across devices. It's also great that many are based on Linux. What is missing is some well working Open Source telephony software and the hardware drivers to go with it. We also really need Openmoko to make some more phones because cracking hardware after the fact so far hasn't really worked out well.

^^ Yeah, it's an evolutionary process, as people use phones for more and more they'll demand more and more freedom. I was thinking about it and most people I know don't need/demand much yet like they do on their PC.

Back