Samsung Galaxy S III

Fzero

Advanced Member
Looks to be a winner

http://www.phonearen...th-ARM-Mali-400

Though when my contract comes up for renewal I will be looking to see if that Sony Play 2 is out and may be tempted by its d-pad over something with clearly a higher spec

[should've perhaps logged this under 'general' rather than 'other consoles']

Last edited by a moderator:
how is it possible the smartphone business still hasn't crashed like video games did back in the early days?

I don't think it's fair to compare the two. It would be like asking why the PC market didn't crash and burn?

At the time video games were a niche market, not many knew about them, or looked at them the same way you look at passing fads. More of a child's toy than a relevant household item.

Everyone has a phone, so your common consumer has a point of reference. My mother didn't know the difference between an Atari 2600 and Sony Playstation but she does know the difference between a dumb phone and a smartphone.... sadly it's just the fact it has a touch screen and "it does the email and the internet"... but still she understands it's purpose and has expressed interest in having one.... times that by everyone... and that's a lot of phones.

*I don't know world statistics, so this may varry country to country*

I think smartphones count for about 50% of phones in america right? And 90% of americans have cell phones. That's at least 100,000,000 smartphones for just that one country...

lets say just a third of those get a new cell phone every 2 years with their subsidized carrier upgrade. That's 30 million new smartphones sales every 2 years. As long as the mobile device technology keeps doubling over every year and a half there's not going to be a end in sight.

http://www.email-mar...-statistics.htm

Sony Play 2 is out and may be tempted by its d-pad over something with clearly a higher spec

[should've perhaps logged this under 'general' rather than 'other consoles']

Isn't that still just rumour though?

I'll leave it here, because my Smartphone (XP) is used as my primary gaming console now.

how is it possible the smartphone business still hasn't crashed like video games did back in the early days?

The App market crashed last year, hundreds of thousands of apps of junk. Only a handful of apps really making money.

Hardware markets rarely crash, they just move on.

Yeah, 2 totally differant markets. Smart Phones and Cell phones by nature are only good for 6-24 months. They are all really like apple devices, in that with every new update means the current model is getting phased out for the next model. Most consumers use them all day everyday for every possible situation(calls, music, calendar, ect). Hell, even if their devices still run well after 12 months, they are normally beat to shit and are falling apart, so a new device is always just around the corner.

Consoles by nature are the complete opposite of this business model, and are designed to last 3- 6 years(or more now). They may see model changes over the years, but the very first PS3 plays games just as fast as the current PS3 slim model does. Most new ios games won't run or run very well on iphones or ipod touches from just 3-5 years ago.

I personally like it better when I know my device will be good for years to come VS. me having to buy a new device every 12 months to run current apps at the most optimal settings. I used my last smart phone for almost 3 years, and I plan to use my newest phone for at least that long before I think about upgrading. Just comes down to personal preferance, but almost everyine I know, looks to get a new smartphone every 12 months on average. I would never think to do that with my video game consoles.

Chris

IMHO, a number of Smartphones, iPhone 4S, XP, SGN, just to name a few are considered by me as portable Video game consoles in their own right.

Far as i know it is still rumour yes, based on that screenshot taken before the tester removed it offline.

Something that bothers me about blisteringly fast Android devices; It may be a good selling point to create and market something as fast as the SIII will apparently be, but in an ecosystem where the market of apps are designed to run on a majority of broadly different devices (ie: No unit specific games to take advantage of this graphical power), what actual benefits would this bring? Faster scrolling?

smoother responce, or developers can write programs for any baseline they choose, the market allows you to filter target device to meet certian specs so you can just ignore devices that don't meet certain requirements

i hear that galaxy s 3 completely bypassed the design department, and was completely designed by lawyers

based off all the lawsuits between apple and samsung... I would agree, especially after watching that second video... it's almost like... "look, no more patent infringement"

I can safely say that the design alone puts this thing well off my radar, pebble phones just look so cack

Back