Run Gp2X Off 4 Aa Batteries

Gamer7

Still Fresh
I'm thinking of purchasing a 4 AA battery holder, cutting a hole in the back to make room for it and have it run off of that. The batteries will run vertically along the back. Is this as easy as I think it is? As far as wiring goes, this is pretty basic right? Should I be going about this a certain way? Is this even a good idea?

Gamer7 said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a 4 AA battery holder, cutting a hole in the back to make room for it and have it run off of that. The batteries will run vertically along the back. Is this as easy as I think it is? As far as wiring goes, this is pretty basic right? Should I be going about this a certain way? Is this even a good idea?

The 4xAA battery holder will give run all the batteries in series which isn't good because the GP2X doesn't expect voltage that high (4.8v or more). You would be best to clip the jumper (metal lead) between the second and third batteries and run leads off them. That, or purchase two 2xAA holders. Then, run 2XAA + 2XAA (each in series) together in parallel to give you the original voltage the GP2X expects, only with twice the available amperage. This will double the runtime, theoretically.

batteries.png

Last edited by a moderator:
if you do it, please post a picture of your work. I wanted to do the same but i don't know how to make it look "original", so maybe your works gives me an idea :D

Ive been thinking of how to have the gp2x support 4AA myself. As long as its 2 by 2, each pair of AAs in parallel, then it should be fine. Batteries in parallel drain much better than they do in series, so this would be good.

Back