Gp2x Running On 3 Batteries

scienceman91

Still Fresh
I was randomly searching gp2xstuff one day when i came across a tutorial to mod the battery port of the gp2x to get it to run on 3 batteries without frying

the tutorial said that the batteries lasted hours longer

sadly i can't find the tutorial again

if anyone has seen this and remembers where it is,

or if you know how to do this anyway

could you tell me

thank you

hey your the guy who did the mod

fwi i plan on sinking the battery clip into the back of the gp2x and wiring it on the inside

At some point I am going to modify my main GP2x with a pair of NDS Lite batteries in parallel, each one is rated 3.7v, although they register 4.2v; a pair of them in parallel will rate at 3600mA and being Li-ions, will have more oomph!

I will also put in a sleek d-pad; however I have other projects to get on with first.

Using these NDS batteries in my current mini portable (see my site).

I haven't read the whole 3-battery thread yet but it seems useful to me to use a PSP battery instead. It delivers 3.6V@2200mAh (the high-cap types) and probably fits inside the unmodded battery bay. It can be charged using a PSP or a separate charger or maybe it's possible to mod the GP2X so it charges inside when an external PS is connected. That would also get rid of the annoying behaviour that the GP2X totally switches off and on again when it's running on batteries and you plug in the external PS.

UPDATE: I just checked it out but the PSP battery won't fit the GP2X. Maybe when I remove the battery's case, because the width is the problem.

Squirrel61 said:
I haven't read the whole 3-battery thread yet but it seems useful to me to use a PSP battery instead. It delivers 3.6V@2200mAh (the high-cap types) and probably fits inside the unmodded battery bay. It can be charged using a PSP or a separate charger or maybe it's possible to mod the GP2X so it charges inside when an external PS is connected. That would also get rid of the annoying behaviour that the GP2X totally switches off and on again when it's running on batteries and you plug in the external PS.

UPDATE: I just checked it out but the PSP battery won't fit the GP2X. Maybe when I remove the battery's case, because the width is the problem.
Cool, if you have access to one use it if you can (standard disclaimer on exploding batteries :p)

I actually have a pair of cheap ($12) motorola cellphones, maybe the li-ion from those would be enough to lay flat so I can remove the stupid battery bump :).

If you wanted to go on the cheap you could use a pair of 2xAA holders on the back of the GP2X, should get you 12 hours with 6 NiMH powering it :). It shouldn't cost more than $5, but you need to charge 6 batteries at a time with that kind of setup. (12 hours? Heck I would do it.)

I have a 4xAA pack, maybe I can wire it to support 3AA or 2x3AA including the pack ones :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
Cool, if you have access to one use it if you can (standard disclaimer on exploding batteries :p)

I have some spare PSP batteries and in the past, I've opened a few. All batteries have a small PCB mounted inside (the reason I opened the batteries was to study the electronics). Usually the PCB is mounted on top of the cells, increasing the thickness of the battery. But with some batteries, a different PCB was mounted on the side of the battery, increasing the width of the battery. With this last kind of battery, removing the case and PCB might make the battery fit the unmodded battery holder. And I don't want to make any battery mods that are externally visible. But I'd have to open some batteries again to find the right one.

Squirrel61 said:
nubie said:

I have some spare PSP batteries and in the past, I've opened a few. All batteries have a small PCB mounted inside (the reason I opened the batteries was to study the electronics). Usually the PCB is mounted on top of the cells, increasing the thickness of the battery. But with some batteries, a different PCB was mounted on the side of the battery, increasing the width of the battery. With this last kind of battery, removing the case and PCB might make the battery fit the unmodded battery holder. And I don't want to make any battery mods that are externally visible. But I'd have to open some batteries again to find the right one.
I understand that it just doesn't fit, but I am confused a bit on what direction it doesn't fit.

Assume back of GP2X with original battery tray:
CODE

|----------------------------------|
|---------[..............]---------|

Is the battery too big left to right in above (lousy) drawing?

Or is the battery too big top to bottom in drawing?

3rd option, is battery too big to fit under the gp2x battery cover?

I like the idea of li-ion for the GP2X, but I would like it even more if it meant I could remove the battery bulge by using a pack that was flatter but longer/wider (left-right and up-down in drawing).

Actually if the bulge moved to under your hands if might be more comfortable to play, so perhaps two camcorder batteries placed there would be good. like this console: http://www.modded-by-bacteria.com/

Batteries are down in the middle: http://www.modded-by-bacteria.com/index.ph...Platform_System (warning, tons of pictures on one page.)

In your drawing, the standard PSP battery would fit like this:

CODE
|-------------__________-----------|
|------------|'|----------|
|---------[..| |..]-------|
|---------[./ |..]-------|
|---------[.E___________|..]-------|

I prefer not to mod the outside, so I will look for a battery that has the electronics on the side (where the ' are). This should decrease the width enough to fit in the unmodded battery bay. But sadly, most PSP batteries have the electronics on top, making the battery thicker.

If you don't mind changing the outside of your gp2x, you could take 2 psp batteries and connect them parallel, giving a combined power of 3.6V/4600mAh! When you put the batteries on the left and right side of the original battery holder, you could use them as grips.

The reasons I'm thinking of PSP batteries instead of cell phone batteries are:
1. I have some of them to spare.
2. Li-Ion batteries need special chargers. For PSP batteries, separate chargers are available, so you don't need a PSP to charge them.
3. The size seemed appropriate to fit the unmodded battery holder (but isn't).

Back